Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stone/rock guards/deflectors


ZorbaMalibu

Recommended Posts

ZorbaMalibu

Hi All,

Does anyone take their boats down dirt roads?  I need to modify my trailer as we take our boat down dirt roads and I won’t to protect the hull.

 

Any ideas, suggestions and pics would be greatly appreciated all. 
 

Thanks All.

Link to post

We have some gravel to deal with and I have a truck that has some deeper/wider  treads on them.  I bought a set of rock tamers.  I never tow without them.

Link to post

I bought these and they work great. Mount to the hitch and way less than the rock tamers, plus I like the idea of full coverage across the back of the truck.

Smart Solutions 01868 Rock Solid Tow Guards for Trucks - 2 Piece, 18" x 34" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002OAT7LW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_gT58Fb3RWZ11M?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

C77AD715-087A-469B-B072-CA2D5A9863CC.jpeg

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
3 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I bought these and they work great. Mount to the hitch and way less than the rock tamers, plus I like the idea of full coverage across the back of the truck.

Smart Solutions 01868 Rock Solid Tow Guards for Trucks - 2 Piece, 18" x 34" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002OAT7LW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_gT58Fb3RWZ11M?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

C77AD715-087A-469B-B072-CA2D5A9863CC.jpeg

Make sure if you have that style of flaps your exhaust is no where near them or they will melt. But with that being said, having them melt proved how the side of the boat with the flaps still in tact was much cleaner.

Have had rock tamers since then and they have been great. The new 2020 duramax exhaust is nearly straight back so I added their stainless exhaust plate which fixed the problem. 
 

Never tow without them. Especially since our roads up here are still covered in sand come spring.

Edited by Cole2001
Link to post
1 hour ago, Cole2001 said:

Make sure if you have that style of flaps your exhaust is no where near them or they will melt. But with that being said, having them melt proved how the side of the boat with the flaps still in tact was much cleaner.

Have had rock tamers since then and they have been great. The new 2020 duramax exhaust is nearly straight back so I added their stainless exhaust plate which fixed the problem. 
 

Never tow without them. Especially since our roads up here are still covered in sand come spring.

Good point, standard side exhaust on my truck. 

Link to post

Ford raptor, you have to fab your own. Exhaust comes out below the bumper,and straight back. Might also be worth buying some bulk xpell, and doing the trailer rails and leading edge of the trailer fenders.

Edited by surfdude
Link to post

I just saw rock tamers are 21% off and free shipping does everyone like them that has them?

Link to post

I have rock tamers and I like them. I checked Amazon daily and found an open box deal for $150 if I remember right a few years back. Worth every penny for me. Especially with AT tires on the truck. Really helps keep rock chips down. Set up is very important or else you won’t get much protection  

I’ve seen a few of the protectors @RyanB posted out in the wild and liked the protection they provided but never looked into the cost. 

Link to post
8 hours ago, Niver39 said:

I just saw rock tamers are 21% off and free shipping does everyone like them that has them?

Have had them for many tears and don't know of any rock chips since. I do not tow on gravel roads though.

Link to post

FWIW, old style long square mudflaps mounted to in the wheel well work decent and you don't have to take them off.  You do need something better than the short fashion ones they put on trucks from the factory.  Mopar sells them as the Heavy Duty mudflap

 

P6070011.JPG

Link to post
On 1/4/2021 at 7:46 PM, RyanB said:

I have the Enkays/Rock Tamers.  They are ok, but if I were buying something today, I would look for something like this:

https://www.rockgard.com

 

15 hours ago, ndahlberg12 said:

I have rock tamers and I like them. I checked Amazon daily and found an open box deal for $150 if I remember right a few years back. Worth every penny for me. Especially with AT tires on the truck. Really helps keep rock chips down. Set up is very important or else you won’t get much protection  

I’ve seen a few of the protectors @RyanB posted out in the wild and liked the protection they provided but never looked into the cost. 

Somebody was selling one of these in the classifieds not to long ago.  I looked but couldn't find it.  I want to say it was give or take around $200. 

Edited by Hemmy
Link to post
1 hour ago, Hemmy said:

 

Somebody was selling one of these in the classifieds not to long ago.  I looked but couldn't find it.  I want to say it was give or take around $200. 

They are really popular on a lot of the fishing boats. I’d be more interested but the ones I have looked at make it seem to be a pain to use the fold away tongue and I need that to put my boat in my garage. 
 

The problem with the rock tamers is that if the road is rough and the flaps are too long, you can actually pick up more rocks from the toad when they drag. 
 

I do have a set of the rock tamers. But my trailer still has a fair amount of road rash. Granted, I likely tow more miles in a year than many do in the lifetime of their boat. But I still would like something better. 

Link to post
9 hours ago, oldjeep said:

FWIW, old style long square mudflaps mounted to in the wheel well work decent and you don't have to take them off.  You do need something better than the short fashion ones they put on trucks from the factory.  Mopar sells them as the Heavy Duty mudflap

 

P6070011.JPG

FWIW, My Rock Tamers are on a dedicated Draw bar that I have to remove to switch to a 1 7/8 ball weekly anyway so no extra work there for me. Also don't have to rock ugly full size flaps for the entire time on truck.

Link to post
25 minutes ago, dalt1 said:

FWIW, My Rock Tamers are on a dedicated Draw bar that I have to remove to switch to a 1 7/8 ball weekly anyway so no extra work there for me. Also don't have to rock ugly full size flaps for the entire time on truck.

It's a truck, it gets used like a truck.  1 7/8 ball?  Cute 😁

Link to post
2 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

It's a truck, it gets used like a truck.  1 7/8 ball?  Cute 😁

No doubt mine is a garage queen except when the boat or mower need to travel. 16 years old with 49,000 miles.image.thumb.png.2531695c6c57019703362794cf456766.png

Link to post

Mine is 2.5 years old with 52k on it.  But those pictures are from the previous one that was 9 years old with 175k when I got the new one.

They are beat pretty bad by the time I get rid of them.

Link to post
7 minutes ago, Pnwrider said:

Kind of like a 2 wd truck?!?!?!?

Trucks were almost all 2wd before everyone decided they were station wagons.  But the current one is a 4wd, might even turn it on some day.

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...