Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2009 VLX Power Wedge sensor

loay.sheikh

I need one to I think, What problem are you having with yours? I can lift and lower my wedge but it doesn’t show up on my maliview

• 3 months later...
On 1/2/2021 at 10:52 AM, loay.sheikh said:

yes I have the same problem it doesn't show on the maliview any movement 

Did you end up getting a new sensor?

I am disappointed that Malibu does not order a lot of these for people that still have these boats.  Only a few of the model years actually had the sensor but when it goes out your wedge is effectively useless.  Mine went out last summer and I tried and tried to calibrate it but no go.  I could get it to fully deploy but could not get it where I could increase the angle as it never would should it was fully deployed so the control would not let me increase the angle.  If I used a preset the motors would just keep running because it would never register as deployed.  I was lucky enough to get a replacement last June from the link in the beginning of this post but search all over prior to that and nobody had any and most dealers said there are none anywhere so I was out of luck.  For a few thousand dollars Malibu could order a batch of these and at $200+ a pop they could recover their money quickly while promoting good will.  I am not sure if they can be repaired once they go out.  I was able to replace mine then recalibrate the wedge so it is working again.  

I hope you are able to find one.

On 4/12/2021 at 1:27 PM, Eagleboy99 said:

These sensors are avialable online from Europe.

I looked at the one that you have posted and it looks different from the one that is on my boat. How did you find out that it’s the same?

1 hour ago, Niver39 said:

I looked at the one that you have posted and it looks different from the one that is on my boat. How did you find out that it’s the same?

The news release.

• 2 years later...

@egleboy99.  I have a 2008 LSV diagnosed by shop Bakes Marine to have dead wedge sensor.  I see the Novotechnik part available from a US unauthorized distributor but it appears to lack the cone top portion that screws into the Novotechnik puck-looking device see link below.  Any additional insights would be greatly appreciated.   Are you aware of this being successfully used?

US Vendor with the sensor:   RFC4853-636-211-202 by NOVOTECHNIK - Buy or Repair at Radwell - Radwell.com  

Hello @christba. The wedge sensor is an elusive part to find. My dealer said mine was bad as well last year after they worked on the wedge. Luckily they were wrong. 

I searched all over looking for a sensor. Even contacted Malibu and they were no help. Told me “so sorry” your only option is to install a manual wedge.

Unfortunately Malibu part inventories at dealers are not linked either. No way to search dealers nation wide. I called numerous dealers all over the country with no luck.

There was once a manufacturer in Vegas making the part but they have discontinued it also. They even searched junk drawers for me. Nada.

I was going down the Novotechnik path too when I finally found my wedge issue and fixed it myself. Was the sensor but only because the Malibu dealer reinstalled it wrong. Sorry not much help for ya here. Please let us know if you find a solution with Novotechnik. I’d buy some extra sensors if you do.

Thank you for the great insights.  BTW you still may be able to help. 

What did you discover wrong by dealer:

Sensor going into shop for actuator replacement was working, coming out they said it was broken which leads me to believe they too either didn’t reinstall correctly or somehow broke it in the process.

Thank you again for any additional insights and your time here

Sounds familiar. Dealer changed both actuators and first day out on the lake wedge didn’t work correctly. Took it back in and they said the sensor was bad and come get your boat with a “good luck, no parts”. 🤬  

I’ll try to explain what I found and how I fixed it. Excuse my lack of proper electrical terminology.

The sensor has a rotary rheostat that sends signals (in ohms or resistance, something like that) to the computer. The computer knows the position of the wedge based on the values the sensor is sending. The rotary part of the sensor spins 360 degrees. When the dealer reinstalled the sensor they didn’t position that rotary switch in the correct range that the computer was looking for.  The wedge only moves that rheostat 90 degrees of its possible 360 degree movement. So basically if the computer is looking for a specific signal that is sent in the 0 to 90 degree portion of the rheostat yet it’s been installed moving say within the 180 to 270 degree range the signal is never correct. Hope that makes sense. So what I did was. I dissembled the sensor and went into the wedge calibration menu on the Maliview. Rotated the rheostat manually till it was within the range needed by the computer. Reinstalled it and the wedge worked properly again. Simple fix but only after hours of research. Hope that helps and makes sense and hopefully yours is the same issue verse the sensor really being bad. To check if the sensor is sending a signal to the computer. Go into the wedge calibration menu on your Maliview. Move the sensor manually by hand and see if the numeric value on the Maliview is changing. If it is then the sensor is working. Just need to be set and reinstalled properly. Happy to discuss it by phone if ya want. PM me and I’ll shoot you my number.

Pull the two screws holding the sensor to the wedge mount plate. Pull it away and it will look like this pic. The white prong is the rotary rheostat. Get into the wedge calibration menu on your Maliview. Use a box end wrench to twist the rheostat and see if the signal is changing. If it is the sensor is working. Then set the number to the wedge up position and reinstall it. Then do a wedge calibration. Instructions for wedge calibration and numeric values are in your owners manual.

image.thumb.jpeg.add3300b445471d29e2f1c9ee8edf511.jpeg