Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf Gate Controller

Have one surf gate that will not close. The actuator is good, so thinking it must be controller. It's a 2015 Axis and the controller is no longer available, so does anyone know if the entire system needs replacing? And how much of a challenge is that? 

Have you done a hard shut down (unhooked the batteries) and redcalibrated/reset the SG? I had a similar issue on my 2019 and a shutdown and reset fixed the issue. If when I die and I go to hell, I will be surrounded by computers! :rant:

Our 2020 LSV had a surf gate stuck out,  cutting the battery and rebooting did not help but putting it thru a calibration cycle resolved it.  Don't know how to do that on a 2015 but on the 2020 it is a menu option in the diagnostics area.  This happened early in the summer and never happened again.

Thank all of you! I’ve tried multiple battery turn off and then recalibrate but unfortunately that doesn’t fix the issue. Hethj7 would you know if the relay is in the controller box? I look at that black controller box and it scares the heck out of me ha!

I don’t mean to split hairs with semantics, but by battery turn off you do mean disconnecting the cables from the batteries so no power is going to any part of the boat correct? The end results between the two could potentially have different results.

11 hours ago, GClinton said:

Thank all of you! I’ve tried multiple battery turn off and then recalibrate but unfortunately that doesn’t fix the issue. Hethj7 would you know if the relay is in the controller box? I look at that black controller box and it scares the heck out of me ha!

I don’t know for sure.   I am pretty sure on the 2016 Malibu there were both controllers and separate relays.  Sorry I can’t be more help and I know that is apples and oranges in my comparison.  

On 12/31/2020 at 7:50 AM, GClinton said:

Have one surf gate that will not close. The actuator is good, so thinking it must be controller. It's a 2015 Axis and the controller is no longer available, so does anyone know if the entire system needs replacing? And how much of a challenge is that? 

call lenco directly and they will have reconditioned malibu warranty boxes available,  the relay should be right on top of controller, if you only have one controller and therefore one relay, if one side works it is not your relay .

pull your controller off of transom and remove cap with 1/4” open end wrench.  inspect male studs for corrosion, clean them and inside of female cap, its mounted horizontally and one set of studs on bottom are prone to corrosion 

first before any of this you need to “jump” your actuator with a line from the battery ( i used a household extension cord cutting off the ends).  you run the leads into the gate deutch plug above controller box labeled left or right  gate.  leads one way actuator goes out, reverse the leads and it comes back in .  this is your test to see if actuator is good .  not sure about your 15 but it should be similar to my 14.  before this test inspect the female plug you are testing to see if it has any corrosion that has travelled up the actuator line as Lenco said is a def possibility for a water invaded actuator 

relay is easy to source at a boat store or auto parts though i had to find mine at boat store that isn't a malibu dealer as auto parts store didnt have it 

i also had problems with the male spades on the surf and set speed carling switches on surf/set speed/ignition panel being loose , currently waiting on a an entire switch panel from @COOP to fix that flaw

there are many things that can fail

i even had to replace my SG harness because my corrosion infected the female integrated proprietary controller cap ,  i had to tie twine to the positive power, ground from starter , and large deutch connector near starter and pull them through the  stringer through two forward holes in stringer out rear stringer hole exit near transom.  reattach the twine  to the new leads and “work” them back thru, wasn't easy but was doable with the long twine leads 

easiest but most expensive parts replacement is your controller , $250 + shipped

Edited by granddaddy55

Seeking A LIfe, THANK YOU this is much help! I did the actuators and that particular connection already, and how I am using the surf gate now, so I am guessing for sure it is the controller! Awesome detail! Thanks again!