Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

changing ballast

macdaddy

Is it hard to change the ballast tanks in back to 500 pound sacs. I have a 03 VLX and I need to know what modifications you all makde. Did you have to reenforce the plastic engine covers? What mods did you have to make to the pumps and hoses? Thanks...Kraig

I'm finishing up mine right now.

I took out the tanks and replaced them with 440 lb Launch Pads (thanx sldavis)

My tanks came out real ez but I think my trunk is bigger than yours.

But I still took off the trunk deck lids and the panel between the trunk and rear seat for easier access.

The 440s barely touch the engine walls when full so no issue there.

You can leave the plumbing as is and just switch to sacs - but you won't need the bleed hose.

I lengthened the fill hoses so I can use them to fill other sacs I use in the cabin.

At first I tried the drain pump in one of the top valves of the sac but had pump priming issues so I moved it to the bottom valve.

That fixed that issue but now I'm dealing with it draing thru the drain pumps when the sacs get about 3/4 full.

I think this will be easily fixed by adding hose and looping it.

Also I am gonna add inline check valves to the fill side to avoid any syphoning issues.

I'll finish it up this weekend.

Since the tanks are hard tanks they require a top hose that allows air to escape - bags don't need this.

Its the hole where the water comes out when the tank is full.

Adding hose and looping under the top of the gunnel did the trick.

The thru hull where the ballast empties is indeed a little lower than the top of the sac so the loop brought it above the sac an eliminated the issue.

Made for a great day of low maintenance surfing.

Edited by Brad B

VERY IMPORTANT REVELATION

Ya gotta plug the thru hull fitting that was used by the bleed hose from the hard tanks.

I left it hanging - we had 10 guys and full ballast today - that put those fittings under water and you guessed it - we took on a bunch of unwanted water.

EZ to fix of course - just cap it off.

But the wake was absolutely awesome

LOL

But I think we've found our "best its gonna be" with 10 on board and 440s full in the rear and 400 in the bow and 300 in the ski locker and the wedge on and a 200+ guy in the sling.

Wave was tall and steep - had some trouble getting on top of it to rail slide.

VERY IMPORTANT REVELATION

Ya gotta plug the thru hull fitting that was used by the bleed hose from the hard tanks.

I left it hanging - we had 10 guys and full ballast today - that put those fittings under water and you guessed it - we took on a bunch of unwanted water.

EZ to fix of course - just cap it off.

But the wake was absolutely awesome

I think the smilie that best dexcribes that moment is :Doh:

LOL

But I think we've found our "best its gonna be" with 10 on board and 440s full in the rear and 400 in the bow and 300 in the ski locker and the wedge on and a 200+ guy in the sling.

Wave was tall and steep - had some trouble getting on top of it to rail slide.

Dude! That's 3080 lbs (with 10 people at 150 lbs avg) plus the wedge, plus the guy in the sling?! Have you upgraded your bilge pump Surprised.gif !!!

You gotta post some pics of that wake.