Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

No slip teak finish

williemon

I need a good recommendation for a good non slick teak swim platform clean and finish/protector. My teak was cleaned and oiled when I bought my 01 back in 2014. It looked good but did leave a film in the water and was slippery. Since it has worn off and the platform has weathered over the past several years, the platform is not slippery anymore but has the weather grey color And small amount of dirt . I’d like to clean it and have it look nice and Be protected  so it does not ruin but I don’t want it slippery like it was when I first got it. What products can I use to do this and it not be slippery? I have purposely neglected it just so it is not slippery but I’m afraid of causing damage by neglect and I do like a richer looking teak. Can I have both or will it be a trade off?

There are 2 paths here, oil and sealant.  If you still like the look of oil you can do that and it will still be non slip if you use the right sanding protocol.  If you want to seal it, you'll find plenty who definitely prefer this option.  The first few years I definitely prefered oiling, but now that I am moored I am leaning towards sealing or getting a fiberglass deck.

• Like 2
Just now, formulaben said:

I am moored I am leaning towards sealing or getting a fiberglass deck.

As much as I love teak, I would buy a glass platform in a heartbeat if I could get one.  Teak Sea-dek on top.

It opens up the grain so it’s not as slippery.  You want like 60 or 80 grit.  I only do it to the corners where it gets slippery.  If you use a good trak cleaner it will get all the old stuff off and that might be enough. 

Edited by SkiPablo
18 hours ago, williemon said:

A question I have is why would I want to sand it at all? 

Mine was not sanded, only cleaned with teak cleaner and then sealed.  The rough wood is much less slippery than fine sanded would be.

I use a grill brush with some teak cleaner, this will remove the grey weathered look.  Rinse off and let dry then teak oil.  

This cleans it well but keeps if from getting slippery.  

On 12/27/2020 at 5:11 PM, williemon said:

A question I have is why would I want to sand it at all? 

You wouldn't have to if it were oiled on a regular basis, but if it is weathered it will level the deck and make it look really nice after oiling. 

11 minutes ago, formulaben said:

You wouldn't have to if it were oiled on a regular basis, but if it is weathered it will level the deck and make it look really nice after oiling. 

I figure if you are moored offshore, you need to oil it weekly.  I gave up (PITA to pull it out) and do it a couple of times  a season.  And it still needs a sanding.