Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1996 Sunsetter LX engine clockwise or counter clockwise?

I'm buying a new crate engine for my 1996 Malibu Sunsetter LX.  It has a 5.7 GM/Mercruiser Vortec.  I need to know if the engine runs clockwise (cw) or counter clockwise CCW) before I order the new engine.  Can anyone help?  btw: The easiest CW and CCW indicators, engine and starter are locked up.

Bozboat:

Thank you very much for the quick response.  I am new to this forum.  Engine is original.  I don't mean to doubt you, but how sure are you?  I just wanna make sure I don't order wrong engine.

1 hour ago, AmazinG8 said:

Bozboat:

Thank you very much for the quick response.  I am new to this forum.  Engine is original.  I don't mean to doubt you, but how sure are you?  I just wanna make sure I don't order wrong engine.

@Bozboat you have to proceed name wirh @ and then a pop up list of forum members will show to pick him ,  

he probably means looking at stern of boat which is front of vdrive motor turning clockwise 

I heard there is a very slight chance of a an original CCW engine, but I want to remove all doubt.  The prop (from rear view) turns CCW as it should on a (front view) of a CW engine, but I heard the tranny "could" have a reverse rotation.  Other indicators are shot because there's no fan blade on an inboard, engine is locked up, starter is locked up.  Maybe Malibu corporate would know...

Edited by AmazinG8
typos

Most engine builders will describe counter clockwise rotation (CCW) as a standard rotation engine because the rotation direction is observed while facing the flywheel from behind the engine.  Most inboard powertrains have a left hand rotation prop (turns counter clockwise to go forward) with a standard rotation engine, but I have seen some Nautique boats that do use a right hand rotation prop instead. 

The transmission will usually have a stamped or embossed arrow on the front pump housing near the input shaft that shows the correct input rotation.

Most clockwise (CW), or reverse, rotation engines are used in older twin engine applications.

If the the harmonic dampener has timing marks for an old school timing light that would tell you.  0 would be TDC, the marks from there would be before TDC, it would rotate from those marks towards the TDC mark.  

The is off the cuff, have not timed distributor in decades and this motor probably is new enough to have an ECM but if not,,,,,,,

11 hours ago, AmazinG8 said:

Bozboat:

Idk, we both have direct drive boats, so the water pump in on the forward part of the engine, just like it should be and just like a pickup truck. Distributor on the back. When I stand facing aft looking at the engine, it rotates to my right. So when viewed from the  front it turns right, when viewed from the aft forward it turns left. I’m now confused.

Bingo!

It's a standard rotation engine.  The timing marks were the best indicators @Suf4FamFun.  The transmission arrow was very helpful too @csleaver.  All indicators pointed to Clockwise from front Counter from back. Thanks to all who responded!