Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2001 malibu decal question

hmh800

Hi guys-

When I bought my '01 Sunsetter Lxi a few years back it did not have the hull side Malibu emblem on it.  I can see where they used to be in the right light, and want to order some new ones from Domednumbers.  My question is what color the Malibu part and the sun part would have been from the factory?  I've seen some where the sun in grey tones, and others where it is colored.  Did the Mallibu itself have a fade top to bottom?

If anyone happens to have the same color scheme as me I'd love to see a photo of the decal.

Thanks!

IMG_0770.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

IMG_0474.jpg

IMG_3093.jpg

The '01s weren't raised decals like Domednumbers makes.  It was the last year of the vinyl decals.  They had a sortof "tiger stripe" pattern and were available in gray and tan.

Gray: my boat.

Tan: my dad's.

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 3.49.19 PM.png

tuck.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks UWskier-

Did you replace the grey ones at some point, or were they always up on the stripe a little bit?

I'm generally a guy that goes for original details, but in this case I might 'modernize' the decal a little bit and go with the raised decal with the top to bottom fade.  

Does anybody have a pic of an '02 Sunsetter with this setup?

By the way, when was the last year of the Sunsetter Lxi?

Merry Christmas!

14 hours ago, hmh800 said:

Thanks UWskier-

Did you replace the grey ones at some point, or were they always up on the stripe a little bit?

I'm generally a guy that goes for original details, but in this case I might 'modernize' the decal a little bit and go with the raised decal with the top to bottom fade.  

Does anybody have a pic of an '02 Sunsetter with this setup?

By the way, when was the last year of the Sunsetter Lxi?

Merry Christmas!

My boat is a Response.  It has less freeboard so the decals on those overlapped the paint a bit.  This also changed in 2002.  On the Sunsetter LXi, placement would be the same as on my dad's Sunsetter VLX in the photo.  No overlap of decal over a painted color.

Last year of the "good" Sunsetter LXi was 2004.

One more question UWskier-

Was grey and tan the only color decals available regardless of the colors on the boat?

Thanks again!

Yes, gray and tan were the only decal colors that year.  Starting in 2002, the decals became solid black with either a gold chrome or silver chrome outline.

It's interesting that the Sunsetter and Exclusive... decals were raised back then but not the Malibu one.

Yep.  They started with the smaller decals before making the big ones drip molded also.

Thanks UW you’re a wealth of knowledge!  I have not been able to find a source for the original vinyl decals through the usual sources online, though I have not called them (bakes, Great Lakes skipper).  Anybody know a source?