Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Power Tower & Stern Turn

KuJo

I am building a 22 LSV, and have questions regarding these 2 features:

1) Power Tower - is it worth it? Can the bimini top be extended and still lower and raise the tower? 

2) Stern Turn - is it worth it? We heard that it had service problems? Does anyone know?

Thanks

can't speak to the power tower, but i think the stern turn on a 22 would be a waste.  i own a 23 and if i was ordering a new 23, i would not do it.  i could see it coming in handy once in great while on a larger boat.

• Like 3

To each their own, I own a 2020 23 LSV and love the stern turn.  Works great for picking up surfers or for dialing in the position of the boat to teach newbies/kids and avoid getting them in the center of the wake/wave.  Can't comment on the power tower as our boat did not come with that option.

30 minutes ago, KuJo said:

1) Power Tower - is it worth it? Can the bimini top be extended and still lower and raise the tower? 

2) Stern Turn - is it worth it? We heard that it had service problems? Does anyone know?

Thanks

The Gx (G Ten) tower is worth it if you need it. I put my boat away in my garage with an 8' high door... the Gx makes this a simple a pushing the button and pulling off the racks (which come of much easier on the Gx. The Gx fold power than the windshield. The G5 doesn't even come close. So on my 23LSV is was worth every penny to get the Gx. I have Stern turn as well... not as much as a must have, but why not.

34 minutes ago, KuJo said:

Thanks

Also... the Stern Turn is made by the same company in Germany that makes big Yatch thruster motors. This isnt something Malibu scrapped together in their shop. I have high confidence it was designed correctly.

Don't see how to link to another thread, I created one called "Stern Turn, questions for those that have one" that got some good responses.  Placed an order today for a 23 MXZ and did order the stern turn.  Not having had one on our 22 LSV the I see two use cases.  Maneuvering requirements that exceed a v-drive's limitations.  If you don't have to deal with tight spaces or currents then it is a waste on a 25 LSV, if you have those challenges then it could make a 22 LSV more livable.  So it depends.

The thing that gets overlooked a lot in these discussions is circling to pick up a rider.  Our crew is young and frequently has a new kid that is falling a lot.  What some have mentioned and I expect to find is that with a loaded boat it will cut a lot off the turn around and allow better positioning of the boat while the rider get ready to go,  Next summer will post personal findings.

If resale is a concern and you don’t really need those options I think I would pass. Adding those you are going to have a very expensive 22 LSV and if you plan on only keeping it a couple years I could see it might be difficult to sell when there  will be 23’s for a lot less.

• Like 2

Hello,

I had stern turn on my 2020 M240 and loved it. Aside from (much) easier docking with winds and current, picking up a down surfer is a breeze. Rather than circle around I just roll off the throttle and back up using stern turn to steer me and set me up so the surfer is positioned correctly behind the boat. So, I bought a 2021 25 LSV with stern turn. My 25 LSV also came with a power tower so I have that but would not have ordered it. 

Chris

Edited by Chrismoe

Great question and we didn’t need power tower being on a lift all the time but did order the Stern turn on our new 23 LSV.

Like many of you I prided myself on being able to stuff our previous 24 MXZ in any hole required.  I could stop it on a dime, wind wasn’t a factor and I was very confident behind the wheel. Do you know why you get the stern turn? Because no one else can drive your boat as good as you and it will help other people enjoy it more (wife). The MXZ intimidated her and she never really got comfortable with it, which led to less days on the water. We test drove with the stern turn and I saw her face light up with confidence, I was sold.  If you’re in that mode then check that box my friend & don’t look back. Plus it’s cool

• Like 3