Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

G3 Tower Issues

Owensjoe1977

2012 Malibu VTX with G3 Tower.

We have owned our boat since 2015, and have never had to lower our tower. We noticed the shocks are not working, and it’s a heavy to move up and down. Has anyone else had this issue? 

Edited by Owensjoe1977
Personal

Given that the boat is going on 9 years not surprising for the struts/shocks to be bad. My struts on my 2010 lasted maybe 3 years before they became annoyingly dangerous. The pivot bolt is a little surprising, but if it was over torqued at the factory and or saw a lot of load from towing then to be expected I guess. Both are an easy fix, but the struts will be pricey. If you do a little searching on here you should be able to find where to buy the struts other than the dealership and probably a bit cheaper. The pivot bolt should be buyable at any good fastener place I imagine. Good luck

I have the g3 with 4 wet sound speakers and two pairs of swivel racks so let’s just say it is heavy. I put it up and down by myself with the help from a coat hanger dowel (think 1.5” diameter wooden rod) that I notched and cut to the exact height to support the tower while I remove the two knobs. Then I can let the tower down by it’s own weight. 

Search on here for Gemini (a company in Canada).  They make replacements for those and they are pretty easy to replace.  I had to replace ours on the G3.2 a few years ago and it only cost about $150 for the shocks and took an hour or so of my time to do it.

Here is the website but do a search as there is good info on how to figure out what you need.  https://www.geminigassprings.com/

I went with the 275lb versions when I replaced mine and was very happy with the results. Depending how much stuff you have on the tower may require a stronger version. I had 2 Rev-10s and the standard board racks.

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced my factory springs this winter on my 2010 vtx. It has an Ill3 tower with 4 cans, pair of racks and an oversized bimini. Called Gemini in British Columbia, Canada and talked to rep. Great help. We decided on the 250# spring would be best. Got them in 2 weeks. Cost less than 1 from Malibu. Installed them and was perfect choice. Tower operates with a touch and holds any position.