Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

White boat build, hull change, interior colors, opinions? please

Surf4FamFun

Thanks so much for all the responses on the White boat build.  My only experience was with a 2003 that I bought from a friend.  It was not so pretty but then it had not had much TLC, Ok perhaps none.

Thoughts on the exterior metal flake black?

Thoughts on the interior?  Two colors are white and light graphite.  The black on the outside is metal flake.  Changed the hoop on the tower to gun metal gray.  Not really sure how to spice up the inside without it looking like we are trying too hard.  Plus the idea that the interior will be relatively cool is appealing.  My wife has already said NO to all white interior.

Current plan for option list is M6, stern turn, 3 port heater, power seat, Rev 10 speaker, rear camera, remote stereo control on stern, wake view seat, Fender Pro, flip down step, battery charger, charging option 3, transom lights (blue) and hydraulic steering.  I know this is a heavy option list but frankly the idea of stopping with a lot of trimming missing and saving 15% on the purchase price when the whole thing is not "needed" is a little counter intuitive to me.   Did I miss any favorite options?

Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 7.44.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 7.41.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 7.45.44 PM.png

The black flake will look great!  I have had reg black on my two previous boats and didn’t really like the maintenance to keep it looking new.  I think the flake holds up a lot better and gives just the right amount of pop!

Since the latest Malibu interiors seem to be a patchwork quilt, I'd keep the colours/patterns down.  Maybe mostly light grey with  only a few colour panels.  MHO... (My interior is mostly white and it is fine.  Frankly, I would have he next boat with a monocolour  interior (if my wife lets me...)

• Like 2
On 12/19/2020 at 10:40 AM, Eagleboy99 said:

Since the latest Malibu interiors seem to be a patchwork quilt, I'd keep the colours/patterns down.  Maybe mostly light grey with  only a few colour panels.  MHO... (My interior is mostly white and it is fine.  Frankly, I would have he next boat with a monocolour  interior (if my wife lets me...)

I agree with this 100%, I say no more than two colors.  My advice would be go all light gray and add contrast by going with white or colored piping and stitching.  It looks so much cleaner!

I’m not totally familiar with the Malibu interior scheme options but we did a mostly white interior for our ‘19 A22. We did white for the main cushion with light graphite on the ends/seat bolster. Then we did a black bead and black top thread. It’s very simple and clean. From what I’ve seen of the Malibu patterns, I’d definitely keep it simple or it just looks too blocky(?).  

For what it is worth, I really like the exterior - especially if the black is flaked.  I would make the tower all one color and not sure I am crazy about the light grey and white interior.  I would lean more light grey and add in some black.  

3 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Black is one of the worst colors to keep clean, the flake likely hides some of it but makes any dock issues harder to repair.

Good point, please don't laugh but when I first started driving a v-drive most of my dock kisses were on the forward 2/3 of the boat.  I am hoping that that will help with keeping the black intact.  All the other builds we have looked at have lots more color so hoping that minimal color at the back of the boat is a good compromise.

Thanks for all the feedback, very helpful. 

Attached are the build sheet images from the dealer.  They said based on the last conversations they had with Malibu the boat should be here and through Dealer Q&A end of March early April.  After the holiday they will have a better idea.  I will post pictures when it comes in.

I did go with the cool touch version of the Light Graphite which they call cool Steel.  Have not seen it but our current boat has the Dark Graphite and Vapor Blue both of which get too hot to stand on for a good bit of the summer.  Both my kids objected pretty forcefully to anything remotely dark in color, which was nice for me so I did not have to push on that issue.  

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 5.21.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 5.09.14 PM.png

• Like 3
33 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Personally, I think the "teak" deck Seadek is out of place.  I can see it on the swimplatform but that is it.  

I think replacing the graphite in the seating with brown would tie it in

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
16 minutes ago, Surf4FamFun said:

Thanks, this is what the family wanted, hopefully it looks as good on our build as yours.

I am confident it will. The boat builder doesn't portray how well it ties into the greys and especially the white.

We both have the white cushion panel, which ties into the white interior gel which transitions perfectly into the brown soft grip. Your build is going to look phenomenal in person!

It is super minor, and I am not sure what color(s) your trailer is, but I would highly suggest matching the soft grip on the trailer. It is a little change, but a great way to tie everything together - and it is a no upcharge change.

Completely agree with the patchwork quilt comment. I spent six months looking for a used boat that was not over-personalized and then ended up building our own which is very similar to yours. Simple colors will always resell the best & you got a great color combo there. Consider black piping instead of white, easier to keep clean. 

If your family loves the floor than that settles it, you’re the one that lives with the boat. 

• Like 2