Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The order is finally placed.......

ndahlberg12

Nice build!  How come you didn't upsize to the T23/A24? The one thing I really don't like about the 22' axis boats (speaking as an owner) is the small gas tank, especially with the big motor.  with the PCM 450 I'm good for about 5-6 engine hours of semi enthusiastic use.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, shawndoggy said:

Nice build!  How come you didn't upsize to the T23/A24? The one thing I really don't like about the 22' axis boats (speaking as an owner) is the small gas tank, especially with the big motor.  with the PCM 450 I'm good for about 5-6 engine hours of semi enthusiastic use.  

We debated the A24 for WEEKS for the extra size and fuel tank size. The T’s were never really in the running for us as we are not a fan of the new gel patterns.  The 22 is the perfect size for our lake we use 90% of the time, it is a directional lake with a center island, we have the luxury of jumping on and going for a few sets and then hanging out on shore close to our RV’s. It’s as close to living on the lake as you can get without having a permanent house. We never have to load up and spend the whole day on the boat. We were worried the 24 would be difficult to maneuver given how small the lake is. It was VERY tempting though. Price also played a factor. We were trying very hard to limit or even eliminate borrowing money from the bank. We have 4 boys, one debating starting college a year late and one 4 years away. Was trying to prepare for the future too. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, ndahlberg12 said:

We debated the A24 for WEEKS for the extra size and fuel tank size. The T’s were never really in the running for us as we are not a fan of the new gel patterns.  The 22 is the perfect size for our lake we use 90% of the time, it is a directional lake with a center island, we have the luxury of jumping on and going for a few sets and then hanging out on shore close to our RV’s. It’s as close to living on the lake as you can get without having a permanent house. We never have to load up and spend the whole day on the boat. We were worried the 24 would be difficult to maneuver given how small the lake is. It was VERY tempting though. Price also played a factor. We were trying very hard to limit or even eliminate borrowing money from the bank. We have 4 boys, one debating starting college a year late and one 4 years away. Was trying to prepare for the future too. 

That sounds like a perfect use case for the 22.  Really I don't want a bigger boat myself either.  The 22 is great for a reasonable sized crew (who wants 12 peeps on a boat?)... but oh man but a bigger gas tank?  That'd be awesome!  

haha and I 100% hear you on college costs.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

That sounds like a perfect use case for the 22.  Really I don't want a bigger boat myself either.  The 22 is great for a reasonable sized crew (who wants 12 peeps on a boat?)... but oh man but a bigger gas tank?  That'd be awesome!  

haha and I 100% hear you on college costs.

Oh trust me, the gas tank was my #1 gripe with my 15 T22. Once I enter the campground I hate leaving. We have so many friends and something always going on I hated having to load up and run into town, when my oldest started to drive that helped cause I could just send him in hahaha!. The sheer thought of being able to spend 3 days on our lake without having to run back into town or fill 8 extra gas cans was quite appealing, but keeping overall cost down ultimately won. We spent a considerable amount of time debating A22 vs A24 and almost more time debating A22/M5 vs A22/M6. Deep down I wanted the M6, just cause who doesn’t want a bigger motor, but that was also a considerable check mark on the build sheet that I didn’t know that I would truly NEED. In the end I didn’t want to regret not doing it when I had the chance along with when I put my last boat up for sale I got a lot of interest from people in Colorado. I lost every buyer once they found out what engine it had. So I am hopeful it performs how I think it will and when the time comes to sell again I will get that money back.

Congrats! An A22 with an M6 is gonna be a beast and with that 2277, I’d imagine it will be somewhat fuel efficient, even at higher elevation. It’s not gonna have to work as hard as the M5 would. So that will help with the fuel economy. But yes, a bigger fuel tank would be nice. 

Congrats on the new boat! Good choices all around. 

As for the fuel tank, it can be a pain. We loved our 22mxz, but really missed our 23LSVs fuel tank. I felt like I was constantly worried about filling up the boat. Yours should be a lot more efficient than my 22mxz with the 6.2 Raptor though.

Edited by tjklein