Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Globe Impeller 100J

bowtechprostaff

New to this site. So we will see how this goes. We purchased a 1991 Maibu Sunsetter Euro F3. The question I have is how do I know if the Globe Impeller will work and what drive it will be to match. I'm not even sure I know where its located, but have been doing some research and think I have a pretty good idea. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. 

17 hours ago, bowtechprostaff said:

New to this site. So we will see how this goes. We purchased a 1991 Maibu Sunsetter Euro F3. The question I have is how do I know if the Globe Impeller will work and what drive it will be to match. I'm not even sure I know where its located, but have been doing some research and think I have a pretty good idea. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. 

Welcome to the crew!

Your raw water pump is at the front of the engine, attached to the crankshaft pulley.  You should see an inlet hose coming from the fitting in the hull, and an outlet hose that goes to the transmission cooler and then to the engine at the mixer near the thermostat cover.  Remove the four small screws on the raw water pump and remove the cover.  You should then see the impeller on the shaft.  An easy way to remove it is to spray it with some light oil like WD-40, wait a few minutes, then remove your safety lanyard (so the engine won't run) and crank the engine.  The impeller should begin to walk out of the pump body.  Once you see it sticking out a bit, stop cranking and grab the impeller with pliers and pull it out.  Be sure to retain the key from the impeller shaft.

Before you put the new one in, inspect the old one for missing vanes.  If it is missing parts, you should probably find them.  Even if it is not missing parts, remove the output hose between the raw water pump and the transmission cooler and look in both the hose and the transmission cooler for weeds, plastic, or other material that can block water flow.  Once it is clear, reinstall the hose and slide the new impeller with the key onto the shaft.  When reinstalling the cover, consider using a new gasket.  Do not over torque the screws since they are tiny and brass, so they won't take much.  If you have a water leak from the cover or if you have overheating problems (from sucking air into the pump), carefully refit the cover and try again.  If the leak is small, slightly tighten the screws, but remember that they are brass.

You can post photos by either joining as a paid member (the preferred method), or by posting your photo to a hosting service and then posting a link here using the "Insert other media" button.  I use imgur, and the catch is that when you post the link here you have to add ".jpg" to the end of the link you copy from the imgur site.  Show us your boat!