Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

F150 LED light options

Cole2001

To all the f150 guys out there, who has upgraded their fog lights for led pods or added a light bar? Stock non led lights are terrible and make dark winter driving less than ideal. 

Looking at these led fog light pods linked below with an additional spot cube. One of the more expensive options compared to just adding a small light bar. Just not sure a cheaper light bar will look like it was meant to be, most likely putting it in place of the front plate. 

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/1516RIGFOGKIT-2015-2016-F150-S3M-Complete-Rigid-D-Series-Fog-Light-Package.html

Or could just replace the stock headlight housings. Let me know your thoughts!

I bought a used set of factory halogen lights that had been baked open and HID projectors installed. They have a very nice cutoff and the light is amazing. I do still get people who bright-flash me occasionally tho so not sure if they may not be perfectly aimed. With brights on they are really bright. 

if you are gonna do it, I think baking open your lights and installing HID projectors is really the only way to do it right. https://www.theretrofitsource.com/?gclid=CjwKCAiAt9z-BRBCEiwA_bWv-DVIQKRGeCFFaDzc1n-Gs8l-R140fbGhVdL1UsyBlucQLVLM9Yzi2xoCB-IQAvD_BwE

I guess that there is also the option to upgrade to the factory / raptor HIDs, but that was really expensive last I checked. 

I installed a set of Hi & Low beam Hikari LED's into my 2015 stock halogen housings and a cheap <$100 replacement set of LED fogs.  Took me about an hour per side to replace.  The Hikari bulbs were designed specifically to work in the F150 halogen housings and the performance is outstanding.  Had them for 2 years now and the difference is night and day.  Cutoff is perfect and no issues being flashed by oncoming traffic. I debated the Morimoto's but the value just wasn't there for me.  I was 100% focused on function and can say it's the best mod I've done to my truck.  Winter driving is transformed now.  

Low Beam:

https://www.amazon.com/HIKARI-Headlight-Conversion-Lumileds-Warranty/dp/B077BT6M6Z/ref=pd_bxgy_2/146-0770860-3277667?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B077BT6M6Z&pd_rd_r=60efc93a-1ca2-48a9-aa40-885513c8d51f&pd_rd_w=GEn7T&pd_rd_wg=eOIKd&pf_rd_p=f325d01c-4658-4593-be83-3e12ca663f0e&pf_rd_r=M3RP4RYF23JXQ79Z4XFC&psc=1&refRID=M3RP4RYF23JXQ79Z4XFC

High Beam:

https://www.amazon.com/HIKARI-Headlight-Conversion-9006-12000lm/dp/B07VSF5BB2/ref=pd_bxgy_3/146-0770860-3277667?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07VSF5BB2&pd_rd_r=19150f3f-c6a8-43c3-b980-320b7c7bcbc2&pd_rd_w=K1o7p&pd_rd_wg=5JoXe&pf_rd_p=f325d01c-4658-4593-be83-3e12ca663f0e&pf_rd_r=5EJKA2NGE63WSAQW8KFR&psc=1&refRID=5EJKA2NGE63WSAQW8KFR

6 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

Ok that might be worth a shot just switching out the bulbs to led. Traditionally just adding led bulbs isn't the best solution but if this setup works that would be great. 

I was skeptical also that an LED bulb upgrade alone would be worth the hassle.  Found a review of the Hikari's on an F150 forum with before and after shots under various conditions.  Difference was shocking.  I reasoned that if I could get even half the results I'd be happy for less than $200.  My factory halogens where so bad I wasn't willing to go through another winter on them.  Hikari did a great job on the bulb design which is well suited for the factory halogen housings.  

19 hours ago, german88 said:

I installed a set of Hi & Low beam Hikari LED's into my 2015 stock halogen housings and a cheap <$100 replacement set of LED fogs.  Took me about an hour per side to replace.  The Hikari bulbs were designed specifically to work in the F150 halogen housings and the performance is outstanding.  Had them for 2 years now and the difference is night and day.  Cutoff is perfect and no issues being flashed by oncoming traffic. I debated the Morimoto's but the value just wasn't there for me.  I was 100% focused on function and can say it's the best mod I've done to my truck.  Winter driving is transformed now.  

Low Beam:

https://www.amazon.com/HIKARI-Headlight-Conversion-Lumileds-Warranty/dp/B077BT6M6Z/ref=pd_bxgy_2/146-0770860-3277667?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B077BT6M6Z&pd_rd_r=60efc93a-1ca2-48a9-aa40-885513c8d51f&pd_rd_w=GEn7T&pd_rd_wg=eOIKd&pf_rd_p=f325d01c-4658-4593-be83-3e12ca663f0e&pf_rd_r=M3RP4RYF23JXQ79Z4XFC&psc=1&refRID=M3RP4RYF23JXQ79Z4XFC

High Beam:

https://www.amazon.com/HIKARI-Headlight-Conversion-9006-12000lm/dp/B07VSF5BB2/ref=pd_bxgy_3/146-0770860-3277667?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07VSF5BB2&pd_rd_r=19150f3f-c6a8-43c3-b980-320b7c7bcbc2&pd_rd_w=K1o7p&pd_rd_wg=5JoXe&pf_rd_p=f325d01c-4658-4593-be83-3e12ca663f0e&pf_rd_r=5EJKA2NGE63WSAQW8KFR&psc=1&refRID=5EJKA2NGE63WSAQW8KFR

Those ones you linked don't say anything about being specifically designed for the F-150 halogen reflector housing?

1 hour ago, shawndoggy said:

Those ones you linked don't say anything about being specifically designed for the F-150 halogen reflector housing?

One could assume that any housing made for the same replacement cartridge would have a standardized reflector design.  I'm sure that bulb manufacturers strongly prefer standardization so they don't have to design a new bulb for every housing that comes along.  In other words, car manufacturers look at available bulbs and design reflectors for them.  A replacement that mimics the original bulb should work OK. 

The trouble starts when people fit other cartridges into their reflector housings.  I can say that I have noticed a lot of (trucks, especially) very bright headlights these days.  Perhaps my eyes are just getting old.  Perhaps they are the correct cartridges but the owners have applied "leveling kits" and failed to adjust the headlights.  Anyway, if their beams are annoying, I flash 'em.

I noticed that after looking again. Maybe on Hikari's actual website it mentions it. 

The first time driving my truck at night I just went over a filthy mountain pass and onto of realizing how awful my headlights were they were coated in dirt. Not a fun time. 

3 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

The issue many people were having back when I installed mine was finding a bulb that had the right cut off characteristics / beam pattern for high and low in the factory halogen housing.  Given it's been 2 years since I installed mine I'm sure there are many other Mfg's options to choose from by now.  My language stating "specifically for F150 housings" might be to strong considering they will likely work in other OE halogen housings as well.  They've clearly taken off since I installed mine and the website now has this statement regarding their LED bulb conversion: See in bold below...

* Note, that Hikari LED conversion kits can replace only factory halogen/incandescent bulbs and will not work as a replacement for factory HID/xenon bulbs.

Ford F-150 LED Bulbs: 5 Reasons to Choose Hikari

Japanese quality. Hikari is a Japanese brand that offers quality LED conversion solutions for the most popular cars, trucks, and SUVs in America.2-year warranty.

All products by Hikari are backed up by the manufacturer’s warranty against defects in materials and workmanship.Affordable LED solutions.

Hikari LED lineup features 3 conversion kit options that will fit the needs, expectations, and budget of any car enthusiast.Resistance to moisture, vibration, temperature changes.

LED solutions by Hikari do not have fragile components, like tungsten or glass capsule. That’s why they are resistant to vibration, humidity, moisture, temperature changes, dust, etc.Bright LEDs that do not produce glare.

Hikari LEDs are deemed to be one of the brightest LEDs on the market. They are bright enough to provide excellent visibility at night, have precise beam pattern yet do not produce that dangerous glare that blinds the oncoming traffic.