Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Triple axel trailer for a 23 lsv?

surfdude

I’ve seen a few 23’s over the years with a triple axel trailer. If I went this option on my new boat order, would it take some tongue weight off of my Ford Raptor? Would it make a difference in towing?

Triples track better with a lot less sway which helps with a lighter duty truck. I would definitely go that route on a large boat with a smaller truck, not sure about an lsv. 

For tongue weight I’ve heard it be less which helps 1/2 tons and I’ve also heard it be more which seems crazy to me. To get an exact answer you’re going to need to go off a 23lsv.

I have heard anecdotally that you can get away with less tongue weight on a trip axle, but 10-13% tongue weight on a conventional hitch is ideal whether you have 1, 2, or 3 axles.   When I was looking at 21k trip axle equipment trailers, I specifically asked about tongue weight and all the reps recommended 10-13% on the tongue when loading the equipment.  Can you tow with 8% on the tongue?  Sure, but the more you get below 10% the more you risk porpoising problems or getting the wig wags, especially in an emergency/swerve situation.  Looking for less tongue weight on an overloaded truck to meet carry-weight specs is just looking for a band aid that doesn't really solve the not-enough-truck problem, imo.   

All that said, if you don't have enough truck, and are going to tow with it anyway, I'd personally rather have three axles tracking under the boat along with three sets of trailer breaks rather than two.  

• Like 3
1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

For tongue weight #1 is making sure your hitch is at the right height.  Trailer has a place it wants to sit and it'll crush the truck down to that height if it can.  Squishy suspensions make it easier.

Not to mention the fact that hitch height isn't as important on equalized spring axles, but it is very important on independent torsion axles.  Letting the tongue down too far puts most of the load on the front set of axles, eventually leading to a failure of the torsion spring.  It is worth the effort to set your torsion bars correctly so that you distribute the load equally at the proper tongue height and with the desired tongue weight.

https://mechanicalelements.com/tandem-torsion-axle-design/

“Don’t use torsion axles in tandem because they don’t load-share”

If you have the trailer tongue low the front axle/ tires will carry more load. This is why torsion axles will make a tow vehicle squat more than leaf spring axles, they aren't sharing the load. 

Edited by MLBurns
add on