Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Baby Duramax / Tahoe / Yukon

jjackkrash

10 hours ago, spikew919 said:

So you change at 7500 and I go an additional 2500 mile to get to 15,000 to 20,000 before I change. Well that makes sense. 🤔 

something about that math doesn’t compute.  

but to each their own.  

By your math no, it doesn't compute, but when I made the decision to use "blend" I didn't base the decision off claims on the internet.  I read my manual which clearly states 7500 (blend) and 10,000 (synthetic).  I also asked a friend that's a service manager at one of the largest GM dealers in the midwest and he echoed what I read so that's what I do.

In your original comment you said "I don't understand why EVERYONE doesn't use synthetic" and I answered it.  Most don't put 50/60/100k miles on a year.  If I did, I'd probably look at other options but it makes zero sense for my current usage.

Glad the longer intervals are working for you....but the shorter ones are doing just fine as well.

47 minutes ago, wedge88 said:

By your math no, it doesn't compute, but when I made the decision to use "blend" I didn't base the decision off claims on the internet.  I read my manual which clearly states 7500 (blend) and 10,000 (synthetic).  I also asked a friend that's a service manager at one of the largest GM dealers in the midwest and he echoed what I read so that's what I do.

In your original comment you said "I don't understand why EVERYONE doesn't use synthetic" and I answered it.  Most don't put 50/60/100k miles on a year.  If I did, I'd probably look at other options but it makes zero sense for my current usage.

Glad the longer intervals are working for you....but the shorter ones are doing just fine as well.

Gotcha. I mean the blended is good oil, use it in all my cat equipment and tractors as I change those every year or 250 hrs. And send cat samples to get baselines for wear. And send the vehicles oil to blackstone for testing in the beginning. 

@ahopkinsVTX (and anyone else shopping) I haven't towed with it yet (still waiting) but I drove the 2021 GMC Sierra AT4 back to back with the 6.2 and the 3.0 and its not even the same truck.  6.2 felt as old as the 2021 dash #dinosaur.  The 3.0 is buttery smooth with the inline six ... I mean really smooth!  Do not drive it with the off-road tires (crazy loud!).

In this market where trucks in my area are getting 5-10k markups b/c there is no supply .. I was able to get 9600 UNDER MSRP a Laura Buick GMC in STL.  I've bought from them before and they are fantastic.  Fly in, they pick you up at the airport and you are out of the dealership in 45 mins w/ no warranty or up sale crap.  I expect a little more push this time b/c they are selling so few trucks.  My truck was produced and I have the VIN (AT4 Carbon Pro Edition loaded, $56,xxx) but waiting on a train to show up.  I only tow a few miles a year so towing wasn't my deciding factor but I'm sure it is fine.  That and saving 20k over a similarly equipped F150 in my area.  I had a GMC, then bought an F150 Plat and was going to buy another F150 until the supply issues hit.  

If anyone is considering going to Laura, hit me up.  I can pass along a good salesman (and I get a referral).

@pauley71 I'm glad you paid under MSRP for your new ride. I can't believe the 3.0 Dmax is only approx. 1k more than the 5.3! I was building one on the Chevy website yesterday afternoon.

Edited by jaciche
On 6/3/2021 at 6:37 AM, pauley71 said:

@ahopkinsVTX (and anyone else shopping) I haven't towed with it yet (still waiting) but I drove the 2021 GMC Sierra AT4 back to back with the 6.2 and the 3.0 and its not even the same truck.  6.2 felt as old as the 2021 dash #dinosaur.  The 3.0 is buttery smooth with the inline six ... I mean really smooth!  Do not drive it with the off-road tires (crazy loud!).

In this market where trucks in my area are getting 5-10k markups b/c there is no supply .. I was able to get 9600 UNDER MSRP a Laura Buick GMC in STL.  I've bought from them before and they are fantastic.  Fly in, they pick you up at the airport and you are out of the dealership in 45 mins w/ no warranty or up sale crap.  I expect a little more push this time b/c they are selling so few trucks.  My truck was produced and I have the VIN (AT4 Carbon Pro Edition loaded, $56,xxx) but waiting on a train to show up.  I only tow a few miles a year so towing wasn't my deciding factor but I'm sure it is fine.  That and saving 20k over a similarly equipped F150 in my area.  I had a GMC, then bought an F150 Plat and was going to buy another F150 until the supply issues hit.  

If anyone is considering going to Laura, hit me up.  I can pass along a good salesman (and I get a referral).

My truck came from Laura too, and I've sent a bunch of folks their way.  That said, I was on their site last night and man, inventory is super thin right now.  They usually have over 400 half tons in stock, and you can always find what you're looking for.  I think they only have around 80 now.

1 hour ago, UWSkier said:

My truck came from Laura too, and I've sent a bunch of folks their way.  That said, I was on their site last night and man, inventory is super thin right now.  They usually have over 400 half tons in stock, and you can always find what you're looking for.  I think they only have around 80 now.

Those are sold but they have to leave them on until they are off the lot.  When you call they will tell you what they have coming in so its actually a lot worse than it appears on the website  .. lol 

ahopkins22LSV
2 hours ago, pauley71 said:

Those are sold but they have to leave them on until they are off the lot.  When you call they will tell you what they have coming in so its actually a lot worse than it appears on the website  .. lol 

Yeah. Same thing I’m running into. Except our dealers show 15-30 trucks. And their lots are basically empty. It’s not a good feeling. I wish I could convince the wife to let me do the Laura route, but not in the cards right now. 

• 2 months later...
On 6/3/2021 at 9:37 AM, pauley71 said:

I am looking to get/order a GMC 1500 AT4 diesel. My local dealer said diesel's are on back order right now. Reguardless, can you let me know the whole "Laura deal"? or elaborate please? Feel free to PM Thanks!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Any recent feedback on the 3.0 vs the 6.2?  I am finding myself needing to get into a new Yukon or XL (not sure which I will go with this time).  I have plenty of time to order one, so I am not limited (hopefully) by what I can find.  I have never had a diesel as a daily driver, but I am intrigued.  I put about 25K miles per year, with the vast majority of that being highway miles.  I don't tow often, but am planning a 1200 mile tow with the boat this summer.  

2 other questions: 

Anyone have an update on what features currently are or are not available, i.e. wireless charging, heated seats / steering wheel, etc.  I have heard anecdotal stories about chip shortages causing deletes of these types of features and am looking for current info.

Has anyone bought recent and found a dealer willing to offer anything below MSRP?  I am willing to travel for it...

My sister has the 3.0L in her truck and I have the 6.2L in my Escalade.  I have driven her truck a bit.  I think the 3.0L is a winner and would take it over the 6.2L if given the choice, but the 6.2L is no slouch and still gets pretty good milage running down the highway.  But all in all I am very happy with the 6.2L and if that's all you can get it is still a great power plant, especially mated to the 10-speed.     

I thought this was a great article on the 3.0/5.3/6.2 conversation.  https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a37354681/2021-chevrolet-suburban-diesel-by-the-numbers/

The 3.0 is slow, but having had several Suburans with the 5.3L, I never really "hustled" them.  They get 27 MPG with the 3.0L on a 75 MPH interstate cruise test.  I might have seen 21ish in my 2016 5.3L with cylinder deactivation and a light load on a good day.  Usually around 20 at 75+ MPH road trip cruise.

I like the 3.0 diesels. But I’d have to see a consistent 27 MPG on the highway to believe it. That sounds way optimistic. 

The exhaust brake is a nice touch. I think that might be class exclusive (my EcoDiesel doesn’t have it). 

The newer diesels haven’t been pillars of reliability for those that do a lot of city driving. Has that been corrected in the current generations?  

Anyone know if they are running the Bosch CP4 fuel pump or something else?

Edited by RyanB

27 (or slightly better) is consistent with what my sister is reporting in her truck.  It is obviously going to depend in how you drive it and she's pretty light on the pedal.  

I am pretty well educated in the diesel performance world, so the high MPG claims people throw out usually makes me laugh. I have at least 3 friends that have the 3.0 that are getting close to 30 mpg on the highway and talk very highly of the baby Duramax. If I didn't like the 6.2/ 10 speed so much I might consider trading in the 2019 on one, but I will give it another year for the microchip supply to catch up so I can make sure they have the options I want.

1 hour ago, MLBurns said:

I am pretty well educated in the diesel performance world, so the high MPG claims people throw out usually makes me laugh. I have at least 3 friends that have the 3.0 that are getting close to 30 mpg on the highway and talk very highly of the baby Duramax. If I didn't like the 6.2/ 10 speed so much I might consider trading in the 2019 on one, but I will give it another year for the microchip supply to catch up so I can make sure they have the options I want.

Agreed, I have been driving diesels for over 20 years. People need to start hand calculating their mileage. I guarantee there’s no way there getting anywhere close to a solid 30 MPG. And no disrespect and I am sure I’ll hurt some feelings, but no way I am buying into the whole half ton diesel garbage. If I didn’t have a side job to where I pulled 18-20k on regular basis all my trucks from here on out would be gas. All these new diesels might last 100k before they break down and need thousands in repairs. 

The days of the 350k mile light duty diesels are over. 

On 2/17/2022 at 1:27 PM, amartin said:

Any recent feedback on the 3.0 vs the 6.2?  I am finding myself needing to get into a new Yukon or XL (not sure which I will go with this time).  I have plenty of time to order one, so I am not limited (hopefully) by what I can find.  I have never had a diesel as a daily driver, but I am intrigued.  I put about 25K miles per year, with the vast majority of that being highway miles.  I don't tow often, but am planning a 1200 mile tow with the boat this summer.  

2 other questions: 

Anyone have an update on what features currently are or are not available, i.e. wireless charging, heated seats / steering wheel, etc.  I have heard anecdotal stories about chip shortages causing deletes of these types of features and am looking for current info.

Has anyone bought recent and found a dealer willing to offer anything below MSRP?  I am willing to travel for it...

I have pretty much talked myself into getting the XL with the 3.0.  Now the challenge is actually getting one.  I have been given prices from MSRP to MSRP + $10k for orders.  There also appears to be a significant backlog to even order these.  I have been told that I might be looking at a '23 model year depending on what trim / options I am looking for.  It sounds like availability is a very dynamic market with a weekly allocation of models / trims/ and features.  Unbelievable how much this industry has changed in the last 18 months!