Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Draining Block Enough?

LateNightSalami

Hey,

Had my boat in for a misfire issue. Luckily it was just the regulator on the fuel pump had gone bad. Tommies has said that they drained down the engine and heater core. I am wondering if I really need to put the antifreeze through the system or if I can just fog the cylinders detach the batteries and call it good.

What do you all think?

ahopkins22LSV

I went many many years with only draining my block and heater. Zero issues ever. If there is no water to freeze, nothing can crack. In fact, I didn't add anti freeze for this year on our 2020 VTX either, just drained the raw water system.

• Like 3

As long as *you* are doing it, it's probably fine.  If you are relying on the dealer, then it should be a formal work order for winterization.  Then it is their problem if they screw up (and it happens)

I am picking the boat up today. I think I will go through the draining process when I get home...or maybe do it really quickly right there if there is day light. It is pretty cold out though so I am happy to hear that I can skip at least one step (the anti-freeze) and not have long term consequences.

Is fogging the cylinders absolutely necessary?

21 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

make sure to put the plugs back in and reconnect all of the heater connections if dealer didn't.

nobody fogs anymore because it's bad for the cats to do with the engine running and too big of a pita to pull plugs and do each cylinder one by one.

a lot of people like this answer, but I don't think it is a pita to pull the plugs.

I pull one side, fog, reinstall, then pull, fog, reinstall the other side and then turn the engine over for 1 second (lanyard off).

• Like 3