Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Monsoon Running Cool

My Monsoon 340 usually runs exactly at 160 degrees all day long. Yesterday, it would not budge above 110. I thought the gauge was hosed, but the heater was noticeably cooler as well, so the engine is definitely running cool. What do you guys think? Thermostat stuck open?

BTW, It ran beautifully all day long - no smoke, stumbles, coughs, or any other indication that something was amiss (aside from the temp.)

thanks

My Monsoon 340 usually runs exactly at 160 degrees all day long.  Yesterday, it would not budge above 110.  I thought the gauge was hosed, but the heater was noticeably cooler as well, so the engine is definitely running cool.  What do you guys think?  Thermostat stuck open?

BTW, It ran beautifully all day long - no smoke, stumbles, coughs, or any other indication that something was amiss (aside from the temp.)

thanks

Sounds like a good inexpensive place to start. You might consider trying it again incase it was a fluke.

My new Monsoon has also been running too cold since I got it, 120-140. Like yours, my heater doesn't heat much at all, and it causes it to really suck gas.

I've got it in for the 10-hour service, hopefully just a bad thermostat.

Mine also ran cool, so I pulled the thermostat and tested it. Partially opened continuously from about 120, fully opened at 160, and began to close as temp dropped. So I put it back in.... no problem since.

Go figure!

When you sat at idle did the temp creep up?  Then when you got under way it would go back down?  If so, I  vote on thermostat.

We never really idled that long to notice much of a difference...

Thanks for the replies, guys. I guess I'll pull it and do the heat a pan of water test. I assume I'm going to need a new gasket to put it back together (or is it a liquid gasket?)

thx