Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New garage build

ThinBuLine

Just got the green light from the CFO to build a garage to store the 5er, crawler jeep and a new boat in the very near future. A few hang ups that I need some help with......

the only area that it can be built on is my leech field (9+ feet deep so not too worried about compaction). That being said, this means no concrete floors. This will strictly be used for storage for the toys... 

the other issue is budget  probably going to be 25 feet wide by 60+ deep. What is something like this going to run me for a metal building that’s very basic. I’m in SoCal so I’m not concerned with insulating, heating or cooling it.

id like to fully enclose it with maybe a gravel floor but wanted some input.

thanks!

9 hours ago, InIt4theDough said:

the only area that it can be built on is my leech field (9+ feet deep so not too worried about compaction).

A decidely poor place to build it - and field compaction is not your only concern.

No concrete because you might need to dig it up later?  Is your building going to be tall enough inside to dig it up later anyway?  I'm not sure you'll dig 9+ feet deep with a mini excavator.  Heck, it would be easier to trench from one end with a loader, but you still likely have issues with storing the fill onsite and shoring up the trench as you go.  I don't see how to do that safely under a roof without a *lot* of expense.

It might be better to have the slab over it in the long run so compaction isn't as bad.  Out of sight, out of mind....

1 hour ago, justgary said:

No concrete because you might need to dig it up later?  Is your building going to be tall enough inside to dig it up later anyway?  I'm not sure you'll dig 9+ feet deep with a mini excavator.  Heck, it would be easier to trench from one end with a loader, but you still likely have issues with storing the fill onsite and shoring up the trench as you go.  I don't see how to do that safely under a roof without a *lot* of expense.

It might be better to have the slab over it in the long run so compaction isn't as bad.  Out of sight, out of mind....

Planning on a 14 ft door so at least 15 feet inside. The concern is yes digging it up later if I had to or the need for the leech field to be able to evaporate moisture??? I’m not a septic expert just with basic google knowledge....

4 hours ago, Slayer said:

Are you going to be pulling permits?  In my jurisdiction, I don't think you can build a structure on top of a drain field like you're proposing.  If you have not already, I would be reaching out to your AHJ for confirmation unless you're absolutely confident your septic system will never need to be exposed for any reason.    

Def can't build over drain fields where I live also.

The ground will not be able to evaporate if you put a slab over it and will eventually turn to sour mud under your slab. If you have ever seen an above ground pool with a liner leak you know what is next (sinking).

4 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

And for the love of Pete, be sure you know where your tank is!  I've seen then covered up by decks and patios.  Imagin how much fun it is to pump THAT!

I figured that out and when they poured, I had 2 custom concrete lids on risers so it’s a breeze to pump!

Are you going to be pulling permits?  In my jurisdiction, I don't think you can build a structure on top of a drain field like you're proposing.  If you have not already, I would be reaching out to your AHJ for confirmation unless you're absolutely confident your septic system will never need to be exposed for any reason.    

I refuse to pay the tax man when I don’t absolutely have to..... in CA they take enough of my money... $930 a year just to register my truck...... so no I will try to squeak by saying it’s a “temporary structure” and therefor don’t need permits. Also another reason I don’t want to pour a slab. 

I live in a very rural area so I’m not worried about permit snipers. 

28 minutes ago, MLBurns said:

The ground will not be able to evaporate if you put a slab over it and will eventually turn to sour mud under your slab. If you have ever seen an above ground pool with a liner leak you know what is next (sinking).

I was thinking the same thing so I was going to have the floor built like you would build a rock/gravel driveway. 3 layers of ever increasing diameter rocks so they lock into each other.  

16 hours ago, InIt4theDough said:

I'd like to fully enclose it with maybe a gravel floor but wanted some input.

thanks!

If you go with a  conc floor, the rodent problem won't be as bad. My shop has concrete floors and 14 ft concrete on the back side and 50ft conc/asp on front side. And 5 ft sidewalk ea end. And 2" clean limestone. Don't have a rodent problem. Am convinced having an apron around the structure, helps deter mice.

Also if you do have a rodent problem use glueboards. we use them for mice and they also trap spiders and wasps, etc. Use them at the shop, house garage, and at the lake. They work great.

1 minute ago, Eagleboy99 said:

A .22 for a mouse or a vole?  Or are your rats in FLA that big?  Hand me the hollow points...

As big as squirrels, but without the fuzzy tail. 

Want some?  I can mail a few to you.  I guess you would only need two....

18 minutes ago, justgary said:

As big as squirrels, but without the fuzzy tail. 

Want some?  I can mail a few to you.  I guess you would only need two....

I use dumdum bullets for rodents that large.

2 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

I use dumdum bullets for rodents that large.

I keep a stash of colibri .22 handy.  It works great in my old, worn out single shot rifle.  About as loud as clapping your hands.

It's interesting how most rodents understand that they are food for a lot of things and just give up easily.  Glance at a bunny the wrong way and it will keel over.  Squirrels, on the other hand, are different.  I shot a squirrel with a colibri once and just made it mad.  They always seem to need a little extra to put them down, so now I use something with powder in it.

Lest you think I don't use them, bunnies and squirrels are great eating.  I suppose rats are, too, but I have not felt the need just yet.  I have a Brunswick Stew recipe that is tasty and very filling.

I totally understand your point about the permit snipers and the cost of living in CA.  However, IIWM I would not be building anything, permanent or temporary, over a drain field.  It's a bad practice regardless of the depth of the field.  

JMHO, YMMV.  

Too many acronyms for my brain to process... but why? Logical reasoning is well received  with me.

4 hours ago, carguy79ta said:

If you go with a  conc floor, the rodent problem won't be as bad. My shop has concrete floors and 14 ft concrete on the back side and 50ft conc/asp on front side. And 5 ft sidewalk ea end. And 2" clean limestone. Don't have a rodent problem. Am convinced having an apron around the structure, helps deter mice.

Also if you do have a rodent problem use glueboards. we use them for mice and they also trap spiders and wasps, etc. Use them at the shop, house garage, and at the lake. They work great.

rodents arnt an issue. Between the coyotes for rabbits and owls in my owl boxes, that problems is non existent.  

15 hours ago, justgary said:

I shot a squirrel with a colibri once and just made it mad.  They always seem to need a little extra to put them down...

17 HMR with ballistic tip works wonders... 

17 WSM if they’re out past 100 yards... 

• Like 3