Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New prop for Tantrum improve wake even more?

solorex

Background, I've had my Tantrum for 10 years now.  Love the boat, one of the best wakes for skiing ever IMO due to how light the boat is.  She's in tip top shape and we ski all the time.  Still running all the stock drivetrain including the stock prop.  I have no complaints, although I suppose the wake edge is a "little" hard as some people describe.  I have heard from another Tantrum fan that going to a newer 4-blade prop "washes" the wake out more and makes it softer?

Any feedback on this?  Like I said, I have no issues on how this boat skis, but can it ski even better?

14 hours ago, solorex said:

Background, I've had my Tantrum for 10 years now.  Love the boat, one of the best wakes for skiing ever IMO due to how light the boat is.  She's in tip top shape and we ski all the time.  Still running all the stock drivetrain including the stock prop.  I have no complaints, although I suppose the wake edge is a "little" hard as some people describe.  I have heard from another Tantrum fan that going to a newer 4-blade prop "washes" the wake out more and makes it softer?

Any feedback on this?  Like I said, I have no issues on how this boat skis, but can it ski even better?

I would call both OJ and ACME and tell them what you do with the boat and get a recommendation from them.  I'm assuming your boat has the cast stainless 3 blade prop, no?  If so, anything newer will be an improvement.  When I changed the stock prop on my 1997 SSLX from the stainless CVP to an ACME 515, the overall performance of the boat improved substantially.  Hole shot was better, and the wake got softer.  I would think on your boat either an ACME 515 or 525 would be a good fit, depending on your elevation.  Check with their website.  They have a calculator there that gets you close.  

• Like 2

@solorex - Is your stock prop a stainless one?  If yes, that is probably a CVP.  As noted, the CNC props made by Acme and OJ are very good and both companies offer great customer service.  Different props will change the prop wash and can improve the wake characteristics.  If you are under 1,500' elevation and are thinking Acme, a 515 or even a 449 if your engine is in good health would be my thoughts to keep the engine RPM down a bit since that boat has less hydrodynamic resistance compared to a larger, heavier boat.  Also, the newer props have more prop area, hence no need to go 4 blade to get a performance improvement.  Do you barefoot?  If yes, more reason to make sure you pick one that won't hinder top end performance.

Thanks for the feedback.  No, prop is a 3-blade nibral, not stainless.  Elevation is 1286ft.  Engine is in good health.  Yes, I am thinking about getting back into a bit of barefooting, but this boat is 99% slalom skiing.

@solorex - Going from your comment on original equipment + nibral prop, perhaps a Dymex brand although it could be an OJ or even Michigan Wheel.  A new CNC Acme or OJ should provide a nice performance improvement.  My previous recommendation assumes you have a 350 SBC (small block Chevy) and guessing either a Mercruiser Tournament Ski, or an Indmar variant or something pumping out ~300 hp.

30 minutes ago, Woodski said:

@Eagleboy99 - What prop did you end up with and what were the tweaks?  Define huge improvement & also effect on wakes.  What was previous prop?  

I went from a three blade to a 4 blade Nibral. Since the boat is sleeping I cannot tell you the base model, but Eric changed the cup on it for me.  It runs smoother, less prop wash (likely due to more compact prop water column) and pretty much the same speed at top end (GPS verified).   The new prop seems to lift the boat's stern giving softer wakes.  Or it could all be in my head...  LOL

@Eagleboy99 - I assume it is one of the newer CNC props they make.  Was your previous prop the standard Malibu Acme 515?  Whether real or not, always good to feel your investment has a payoff:-)  I'll have to remember to bump you when the boat wakes up, of course that will be way off in the future as you fly a flag with no blue in it!!

19 hours ago, Woodski said:

@solorex - Going from your comment on original equipment + nibral prop, perhaps a Dymex brand although it could be an OJ or even Michigan Wheel.  A new CNC Acme or OJ should provide a nice performance improvement.  My previous recommendation assumes you have a 350 SBC (small block Chevy) and guessing either a Mercruiser Tournament Ski, or an Indmar variant or something pumping out ~300 hp.

@Woodski - Carb'd Mercruiser Tournament Ski it's the stock engine, 260hp.  300hp was with FI I assume.

18 minutes ago, solorex said:

@Eagleboy99 - so I am getting different advice here... stay 3 blade CNC or go 4 blade?  Hmm.... 

I can only say I went from three to four an am happy.  If you are looking for top speed for barefooting, then maybe go 3.  Or call OJ and Acme and tell them what you want.

It's been a long time since I prop shopped, but before calling it might be beneficial to know specs on the current prop (Any identifying numbers on the hub?) and your boat's RPM at WOT.  

1 hour ago, John I. said:

It's been a long time since I prop shopped, but before calling it might be beneficial to know specs on the current prop (Any identifying numbers on the hub?) and your boat's RPM at WOT.  

This is true, those are the first questions that they will ask you.

I've only run Acme on my Malibu but on my last boat (run about) I had 3 different brand props and each lifted the stern more or less.  I think that is why there is a perceived difference in wake.  That is just my opinion.  I do think getting the RPM down will help though b/c I do notice a very slight difference from the 515 and 525.  I'd probably be temped to run the 449 for slalom since that boat is so light.  But the 515 is a safe bet.

Four blade props in general provide more lift than  athree blade.  But there is alos "progressive pitch" that can be tweaked into a prop blade, allowing for different  characteristics at different speeds.  IIRC, Eric did something like taht for mine, but I would have to find the paperwork.  It's probably asleep until spring, too.  :)