Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

23 LSV newer 18+ hull or?

german88

In the market for a used 15 or newer 23LSV.  Hoping to get feedback on the 2018+ hull vs 15-17.  Were there significant changes in the design that are game changer or is the 15/17 diamond/wake hull a close match for the average user?  We're not extreme in any direction when it comes to wake surfing vs wakeboarding etc.  Just looking for a good all around boat that handles well on big water and will retain resell value down the line. 

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, NWBU said:

The '14-17 hull is a good hull and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a clean LSV in that era. Within the '15-17 years you're looking at, there's some minor things that were improved, such as better surfgate actuators and Power Wedge II in 2015 and the screens became more reliable in 2016, IIRC. 2016-2018's have the more powerful Ford Raptor 410 engines as the base, where the base engine in the 2015 is a smaller GM block, the 5.7L 350. All good engines but I'd take the Raptor 410 over the 350 for that size of boat, especially on CDA or higher lakes in your area. 

My experience with the '18-20 hull is that it took less ballast, especially in the bow, to create a similar wave as the '14-17 hull. 

Resale value is strong for everything in those years, especially with Covid pricing. A friend bought a clean 2014 23 LSV early this spring for around what it originally sold for, and he's already in the money now.  

Everything ya need to know right there!

Personally I’d be searching for 2015 plus for the above notes changes, but with the last of used boats for sale and how fast they are selling I wouldn’t turn down a very clean, good colors, and well optioned 2014 either. 

better tranny ratios iirc in the 16+ for surfing at lower rpms, higher speeds etc.  that said, I wouldn't hesitate on a well optioned 2014 w 409SS or LS3.  plan for 200 lbs of lead ballast in the bow.

31 minutes ago, german88 said:

Really appreciate all the input!  Exactly the info I was looking for.  

BTW, if you find a boat on the west coast you like and need it delivered, PM me. I sold my 2008 to someone in your area a few years back and the Uship hauler he used also lives in Spokane. The Uship guy owned a 2016 23 LSV, and clearly knew what he was doing so I might be able to find his contact info. I think he only charged $200 to haul the boat for the 6 hour trip since he was deadheading back home otherwise. 

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats, looks great!  Does the dealer offer storage? I would just go get it in the spring when the weather is better, that's what I've always done. Sucks to not be able to drool over the new toy all winter but makes it easier. 

Nice one! Maybe a little of both... storage until the weather looks favorable, then go get it. I would be too excited not to have it in my garage. Heck, it would make for a great work from home office for a nice change too!

9 hours ago, german88 said:

After several weeks of searching we pulled the trigger on this boat yesterday. https://www.onlyinboards.com/2018-Demo-23-LSV--for-sale-Knoxville-Tennessee-119406.aspx

Ticked all the boxes after we decided to go for a low hour 18. 
I’m considering my options for how to get it home to Washington. My 17 yr old daughter tossed out the idea of driving out and trailering it home vs the Uship option. It would be a good way to spend time with her and break up the monotony of our COVID restricted lives but I’m worried about getting through the weather and road conditions this time of year.  Could use some advice on the best way to proceed... 

I called yesterday to put a deposit on that boat, but you beat me by a day! Glad to see it went to someone in the crew. Enjoy!

• Like 3

Really appreciate all the positive comments.  This was an agonizing but fun process and this forum helped a ton along the way.  As I type the snow is coming down so my hopes of bringing it home anytime soon are dwindling.  I'll keep an eye out for a window in the weather.  

Edited by german88
  • Like 1

Nice boat; awesome deal IMO.  The only way I'd get this home at this time of year is on a flat deck, fully shrinkwrapped.  I am still seeing guys trailering boats through the mountain passes up here - salt, gravel (more like 1" minus!), etc.  Like Dad used to say "There are crazy people out there".

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, german88 said:

Waiting got the better of me and our boat is on it's way home!  Connected with a guy who's headed from Edgewater FL. to Bremerton WA to pick up a new boat and bring it back to FL.  He picked up ours from Knoxville TN. this morning and I'll meet him in Kennewick WA. which is on the Columbia in a few days. Only a 2 1/2 hour drive from my place in Spokane.  I've been dialing in my F150 for the test haul.  Wife and kids have no idea and think we're waiting til spring.  We're leaving on a skiing trip the day after Christmas but I'll be staying back a day to pull of the surprise.  Boat will be sitting in the garage when we arrive home.  Can't wait to see their reaction...  

Hope everyone has an awesome Christmas Holiday and happy New Years to all! 

IMG_2285.JPG

IMG_2286.JPG

Congratulations again!!  I love the surprise plan!  We did that with our kids when we bought our 2017 22VLX.  It was super fun to surprise them that way.  

What are you doing to your F-150?

1 hour ago, Slayer said:

Congratulations again!!  I love the surprise plan!  We did that with our kids when we bought our 2017 22VLX.  It was super fun to surprise them that way.  

What are you doing to your F-150?

Added air bags to help level it. I'm on the fence about pulling out the factory hitch which has the 500 lb tongue weight and 5000 lb load carrying (non WD hitch) label.  I would replace with a Ford non hitch bumper support and Curt #C14017 receiver.  Curt is a true class IV rated 1,000 lbs tongue and 10,000 lbs GTW.    

IMG_2281[1].JPG

On 12/23/2020 at 10:26 AM, german88 said:

IMG_2281[1].JPG

I looked into the non hitch bumper support / Curt C14017 setup. It does look pretty bombproof. May end up going that route before the season kicks off. Focused on going through the boat / trailer and doing a full detail for now.

Discovered both of the hinged seats had stripped out where they mount to the poly seat bottom. Someone at Malibu opted to bend the hinge and re-screw into the seat base slightly offset from the original holes. Now they’re difficult to lift and are misaligned.