Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Age old question: LT4 vs M6di

WhatUpDoc2021

Would like peoples opinion?  In the process of finalizing a build for a Malibu 25LSV and would like to hear people’s thoughts on the M6 engine and if it has enough power or should I upgrade to the LT4?  We boat in the Midwest.  Is it worth the upgraded cost to the LT4? 

Worth it? Probably not as it's not needed with that motor and a 17" prop.

It will certainly have more power, go a little faster, and is fun to show off. I had the LSA motor a few years back in a 23 (gear ratio of 1.25:1 with a 15" prop), but it haven't opted for it since. I put the $10k into other things on the boat. On trade in it was worth almost nothing and most buyers won't care about it. 

The other consideration is the availability of premium in your area and lake. I love the bigger motors, but knowing I'll keep the boat for 3 years and get zero on trade in for it is keeping me from upgrading the motor on my 2021 23 beyond the M6.

Edited by tjklein

Great point I missed...midwest the M6 will be enough.

Demoed the 23 a couple weeks ago and with 3 people and full ballast it was something like 3250-3400 depending on the wedge at 11.2mph. I am coming from a Raptor motor and I was giving it too much throttle for the sweet spot on cruise control because I was so used to the Raptor motor.

Then again...I have thought about the wow factor of the LT4.  :-)   Then I remember that the $10k will cover all of my stereo upgrade, new boards, and some other upgrades. I had the 410 raptor previously and while I missed the LSA my surf experience wasn't any different.

4 hours ago, tjklein said:

Worth it? Probably not as it's not needed with that motor and a 17" prop.

It will certainly have more power, go a little faster, and is fun to show off. I had the LSA motor a few years back in a 23 (gear ratio of 1.25:1 with a 15" prop), but it haven't opted for it since. I put the $10k into other things on the boat. On trade in it was worth almost nothing and most buyers won't care about it. 

The other consideration is the availability of premium in your area and lake. I love the bigger motors, but knowing I'll keep the boat for 3 years and get zero on trade in for it is keeping me from upgrading the motor on my 2021 23 beyond the M6.

Thanks for the insight.  

3 hours ago, hethj7 said:

If you are in the Midwest the M6 certainly has enough power.  I am very happy with mine.  

Thanks. Any issues with surfing with 8 or more on the boat?    

2 hours ago, WhatUpDoc2021 said:

Thanks. Any issues with surfing with 8 or more on the boat?    

a cheap prop upgrade fixes that if it is your norm, if not your norm and dont want more torque prop simply empty some pnp ballast