Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Depth Gauge ideas

votas

I'm looking to add a depth gauges to the new to me T22 over the winter and had a few thoughts after seeing the roughly $500 price tag for the plug and play depth only transducer.  

1) just getting an in hull transducer (Airmar 79) and running it to the OEM wiring harness

2) Same as #1 with the same in hull transducer and running it to a Garmin Striker Plus GPS - I won't really do a lot of fishing out of the wakeboat but kind of like the idea of having the GPS and plotting functions and at roughly $200 less than what the OEM depth gauge, why not?

3) Has anyone replaced the existing speedometer and temp transducer (airmar ST300) with the speed/depth/temp tranducer (airmar st800)?  Seems like this would save me the need to drill another hole in the hull (which I don't really want to do) and I'm thinking it should wire right into the dash?  

Thoughts?

i have a ‘14 and maybe its different

Im guessing the hole is there if there is one to starboard side of vdrive/tranny blocked/plugged by the same spare hole filling unit wire tied to the speedo

do you have water temp from this speedo/temp combo?? i didn't  realize my temp came from speedo on the port side

the factory unit is airmar,  so im thinking option 1 is your best option if you dont have a hole, but im betting you have a hole

you sure you dont have the airmar already on the starboard side of vdrive/tranny?  and mine is depth/temp i think as there is a flat unit outside the hull(not just in hull transducer).  if you have a hole go OEM and get water temp and i assume display for same

and typically (for all wired options not purchased ) that harness would be sitting there very near the OEM install location possibly wire tied to another bundle

cant remember how the depth gauge setting works (because mine came wrh one), is it just a setting for depth alarm depth (which i have set) and because its wired in already the setting is on or its already on because a unit is wired up

Or do you have to “enable” the setting

i would have checked mine but cant wth tower folded as i prop up tower with a 2x4 standing on tranny cover 

it amazes me when an Axis is ordered without one as a decision not to or whether someone forgot to check the box or order one which is possible because everything is an option on an axis including CLEATS

Edited by granddaddy55
port/starboard sides confused

Just one hole with the speedo/temp.  My understanding is I can get the oem airmar depth/temp and once that plugs into the harness the temp pulls from the depth gauge rather than the Speedo.  That’s what made me think if i replace with the airmar triducer (speed/depth/temp) it may just allow me to reuse the same hole.  I’ll call airmar and axis this week and see if that’s an option.  

I too am amazed when they don’t order a depth finder.  Maybe you are right that people just forget to check the box, probably because they think it’s a stock item.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, votas said:

Just one hole with the speedo/temp.  My understanding is I can get the oem airmar depth/temp and once that plugs into the harness the temp pulls from the depth gauge rather than the Speedo.  That’s what made me think if i replace with the airmar triducer (speed/depth/temp) it may just allow me to reuse the same hole.  I’ll call airmar and axis this week and see if that’s an option.  

I too am amazed when they don’t order a depth finder.  Maybe you are right that people just forget to check the box, probably because they think it’s a stock item.

got to be a reason for two units and two holes.  maybe its about damaging and replacing a paddle wheel????

yea i dont get that, depth finder was my first option i checked and asked whether one was included with our dark brack water 

“stock item” thats what i thought about pop up cleats,  thinking it was an upgrade from a standard fixed cleats that would catch a rope.  i figured tower would ease the issue i experienced with older fish n skis.  found out my boat was getting ready to be made without any cleats after i found out all items except hull, tower, controls,  gauges, switches, drivetrain, running gear and swim platform were standard.  

asked for my 10000 deposit back,  they added 2 pairs at their cost just in time  for factory build already in the mold.

told me to explain that “some folks are on a lift on small lakes and dont ever tie up or go to fuel dock”.  thats when i asked fir my check back!!

as info, i do like the performance of my depth/temp sensor with the part on outside and it tends since almost flat that it doesnt get damaged like the paddlewheel ,  but i probably wouldn't be too keen on a hull drill through either

Edited by granddaddy55