Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M6 vs Monsoon 450 in a 25 LSV

smith3442

Looking at used 2019-2020 25 lsv.  The boat I like the most 2020 - has a monsoon 450 and I'm a bit worried at my elevation (4500') it might not have enough.  I have spoke with another boat owner and he has been happy with his M6 engine at this altitude.

Any ideas about the performance between the two engines?  I have done a several searches but not finding a lot of comparisons.  Seems the M6 has a bit more horsepower and torque, enough to make a difference? 

Thanks

I think that you won't find any real difference between the two in the real world.  They say that the M6 will get better fuel economy because of the direct injection, but my understanding is that power is not really any different.  I owned 2 G23 boats, one with the DI and one without, and am not sure I could notice any difference in fuel economy.  I did not notice any change in power.  

I think as you get up to Jordanelle, you might wish for a supercharged motor, but I doubt you will see any difference between the 2 motors you are looking at.  If it is a big deal, you can keep one prop for higher altitude and another for when you go to Powell.  

My 25 had the M6 and was great, but never took it higher than Powell.  

Edited by TallRedRider
13 hours ago, Stevo said:

I feel the burn at 6000+ I have the 3077 prop.

generally only notice the loss of power with a large crew and full ballast +PNP and lead.

You could always prop aggressively 

Is this with M6 or Monsoon 450?  I think M6 engine will do fine, worried if Monsoon 450 is as good as M6

There is one at my local dealer that it pretty well set up.  It has the M6 motor in it.  Owner is a member of TMC and he gets a new boat every season.

https://www.waterskiamerica.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=9538483&p=1&s=Year&d=D&t=preowned&fr=xPreOwnedInventory

If you interested - call Rusty Scott, Waterski America at 972 221 2377.  They are closed on Mon but will be back open on Tuesday.

1 hour ago, Murphy8166 said:

There is one at my local dealer that it pretty well set up.  It has the M6 motor in it.  Owner is a member of TMC and he gets a new boat every season.

https://www.waterskiamerica.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=9538483&p=1&s=Year&d=D&t=preowned&fr=xPreOwnedInventory

If you interested - call Rusty Scott, Waterski America at 972 221 2377.  They are closed on Mon but will be back open on Tuesday.

Just saw this boat last week. We finalized our 2021 order and were looking at some of these for colors. Nice rig.

2 hours ago, tjklein said:

Just saw this boat last week. We finalized our 2021 order and were looking at some of these for colors. Nice rig.

Did you buy from WSA in Texas?  

Is the Monsoon 450 a Raptor? If it’s not, and it’s the 6.0 H.O. Monsoon “450”, I would be hesitant to go that route at that altitude. M6 would be better in that case. 

Edited by formerathlete
  • 3 months later...
On 11/28/2020 at 10:12 PM, Stevo said:

I feel the burn at 6000+ I have the 3077 prop.

generally only notice the loss of power with a large crew and full ballast +PNP and lead.

You could always prop aggressively 

Curious to know what sort of rpm you’re surfing at with full ballast at elevation with the 3077 setup?