Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tacoma DCLB vs DCSB

jjackkrash

Per my other thread, I'm looking hard at a Taco for a run around truck and to tow a sub 5k lbs. ski boat.  My current trip to the boat launch is 20 miles; we are also looking at some lake property 70 miles away.

I am looking at two nearly identical loaded up double cab TRD off-road-trim trucks and debating long box versus short box.  My experience is longer wheel base is better for towing and longer bed is more useful.  But it comes at the cost of turning radius.  And the whole point of the truck is to get something smaller and more maneuverable.  I am having a hard time believing turning radius is that big a deal coming from a big DRW with am 8' bed, however.

Any other considerations I'm not thinking about or something to tip the scales?  I'd welcome any productive comments from the crew.  I'll even take unproductive comments as long as they are funny or interesting.  :)

Thanks in advance.  

Edited by jjackkrash

Also, anyone have the terrain monitoring camera system?  Is this like the 360 overhead view on some other cars? Neither truck I am looking at has it, and I am not sure it is worth it to keep looking for a truck with this feature.  

1 hour ago, jjackkrash said:

Per my other thread, I'm looking hard at a Taco for a run around truck and to tow a sub 5k lbs. ski boat.  My current trip to the boat launch is 20 miles; we are also looking at some lake property 70 miles away.

I am looking at two nearly identical loaded up double cab TRD off-road-trim trucks and debating long box versus short box.  My experience is longer wheel base is better for towing and longer bed is more useful.  But it comes at the cost of turning radius.  And the whole point of the truck is to get something smaller and more maneuverable.  I am having a hard time believing turning radius is that big a deal coming from a big DRW with am 8' bed, however.

Any other considerations I'm not thinking about or something to tip the scales?  I'd welcome any productive comments from the crew.  I'll even take unproductive comments as long as they are funny or interesting.  :)

Thanks in advance.  

Disclaimer;I grew up driving big things so add a grain of salt to this opinion.  I have never had a truck that I thought had too big of a bed, always found something that would not fit even big bed trucks.  My son has a Taco and there are many times we use our Sequoia like a truck because the bed is so small.  His Taco is less maneuverable than than the wheelbase would suggest, pretty typical for a 4WD truck.  I do like long wheelbase towing.

1 hour ago, Surf4FamFun said:

Disclaimer;I grew up driving big things so add a grain of salt to this opinion.  I have never had a truck that I thought had too big of a bed, always found something that would not fit even big bed trucks.  My son has a Taco and there are many times we use our Sequoia like a truck because the bed is so small.  His Taco is less maneuverable than than the wheelbase would suggest, pretty typical for a 4WD truck.  I do like long wheelbase towing.

Agree 100%.  But I'm still in coin flip territory because I have a different big truck, a dump trailer and a flatbed.  I'm close to thinking I want the tighter turning radius.  

I've had both.  Turning radius is an everyday impact.  When I needed more bed space I dropped the tailgate and used the flip out bed extender thing.  Worked fine.  

If you use the bed a lot the short bed flipped down works fine.  The issue is width, the longer bed made no impact in what I carried for home renos, daily use, camping.  The short bed was easier to park, turn, fit in my garage. 

No noticeable difference in towing or backing.  

I personally found that the older 4 liter v6 had better towing characteristics than the new 3.5 v6 that came in the newer Tacoma.  Going from a 2nd gen to a 3rd gen was a disappointment.  

I left the Tacoma's behind and bought a 1st gen tundra (05) and got the best of both worlds.  The older Tundras are the the size of the 3rd gen Tacoma and come with a 5 speed and 4.7v8.  Easy to work on and towed great as well as reliable and a more useable bed.

• 3 weeks later...

It is a great little truck.  We liked it a lot better than the Canyon and the boy (13) loves it.  I don't have much time in it and have not towed the boat with it yet, however, so the jury is still out on towing the ski boat.  But I suspect it will do great given how peppy it feels unloaded.  

18 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

It is a great little truck.  We liked it a lot better than the Canyon and the boy (13) loves it.  I don't have much time in it and have not towed the boat with it yet, however, so the jury is still out on towing the ski boat.  But I suspect it will do great given how peppy it feels unloaded.  

Sounds like the boy has plans for that truck. :whistle:

• 5 weeks later...

I got the first tow in.  It is a stable towing platform but could use 50 more HP.    I think it will do just fine towing the boat locally but I would not want to tow much heavier.  

IMG_4341.jpeg

• Like 2