Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2002 XTI winter refurbish

ROFF

Decided to go with 1” Coosa board to replace the center hatch.   Probably a hundred ways to replace this but with all of the other stuff I’m doing I wanted to keep it simple and easy.   
I built up one side of the floor so the gaps in the EVA planks will line up with the edges of the hatch and be more conspicuous.   Total OCD. 

8CF89E3D-CC04-469E-8285-E1F857F1EB11.jpeg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

So last fall I replaced the original manual wedge with an auto-set wedge.   The manual wedge had bent arms and was a completed PITA to extend/retract.    The only issue was the new wedge didn’t retract out of the wake due to the angle of the transom.  Ugh.  Can’t have that.  Be like having a landing gear hanging down.    I fabricated some tabs that held it higher when retracted but was a bit tough to get in position and unlock.  
So the wedge got a wedge to lift it up out of the wake when retracted and it now operates as designed.   Built them out of scrap Coosa.  

This is just one of the many little things that come up that “must” be done when you start tearing things apart.  

641A6B23-B586-47C2-B53F-FE4728BCA09C.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of little things to do.   Floor is painted and templates done for the EVA.   Tank is in with all new hoses and lines.  New rear ballast system is in with all new hoses and pumps.   (The frog tape is temporary) 750# custom bag to fill the entire trunk space.   The bolts for the grab handle/hook needed to be dealt with to avoid puncturing the bag.   Since the “new” platform has a built in grab I decided to just clean the back up like I did with the bow rails.   Will finish those when I install the swim platform.  Because I moved the anchor light to the top of the tower last summer there was no need for the anchor light pole or the plug.   Not need that meant there was no need for the notch in the rear hatch.    Modified that along with the storage hatch to make space for a trash bin behind the drivers seat.    Upholstery later this month. Gunnel/seat rail carpets next, then the flooring goes in.   

57C5ECF3-52F4-4B68-96D5-D17D86A0B6BA.jpeg

4A69BF80-BDCF-4AB2-A762-0E8546C85019.jpeg

DC54E4D0-01D8-418D-9FD6-A7A9D3FD2FDC.jpeg

7472FD8A-FB2C-4149-B27C-C4CC0191C07E.jpeg

E634A4B0-0C0B-4C63-9026-5D433A67B4E6.jpeg

• Like 2

Question on your floor leveling project.  Why not just fill the low spots with bondo and sand it level rather than use the resin and chop to build it up?  I have some low spots in my floor and I'm really debating tackling this project.  I plan to pull the tank to reroute my new fuel line, change exhaust hoses from the mufflers back, redo strut bushing... amongst other things.

16 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Question on your floor leveling project.  Why not just fill the low spots with bondo and sand it level rather than use the resin and chop to build it up?  I have some low spots in my floor and I'm really debating tackling this project.  I plan to pull the tank to reroute my new fuel line, change exhaust hoses from the mufflers back, redo strut bushing... amongst other things.

The sag was pretty significant.   Using resin and cloth was way less work than filling and sanding and it added strength (not that it really needed it).   Im kind of a minimal bondo kind of guy too.    

1 hour ago, justgary said:

Are you changing your exhaust and fuel hoses while you have it apart? 

Every hose and line that touches the fuel tank have been changed.   I didn’t change the exhaust hoses yet but I plan to.  Easy to access in the future now.   

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, ROFF said:

Lost a few posts.   Oh well.   Never was big on showing my work.  
Got a little sneak peak of the upholstery work today.   Super stoked to get things put together.   Kinda nervous about the new interior.    When it was 18 years old I didn’t really sweat it.   But now?   Finished up the walk through panels today.   All new netting as well.   

1326A1F9-5F44-4D64-9A15-F832DB61979D.jpeg

3AB9D833-4361-462D-9817-EB9589499564.jpeg

14370E09-902C-4884-9D49-F0741D210DDB.jpeg

Whoah!  That looks nice!  I am not planning any vinyl work this time around on my refurb but sortof wish I had planned/budgeted for it after seeing yours!  Where'd you source the new driver's seat?

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, ROFF said:

Putting the finishing touches on everything.    Tons of little stuff to do.    Set up some swivel racks,  upholders with LEDs, and of course I had to replace switch covers and rearrange them to be more ergonomic.  
Pumps on one side and electrics on the other.  

I did the same.  The OEM switch layout drove me crazy. 

You could flip that thing and make some serious coin. Of course, getting another one right now might be an issue.  I love seeing projects turn out so well.  Some of mine do.  :)

That crossed my mind as well.   I assure you if I had a brand new boat it wouldn’t last a week without me “fixing” something.    It’s a sickness.  
Plus it looks like I’ll need the coin.   Launch pass went WAY up.   I think just having the boat is going to be much more expensive this summer.