Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The Strip Club

WellingtonB

Hey All. New here to the Malibu Crew. I come mostly from high performance boating and looking to get my small family into basic and fun watersports for next season (tubing, wake boarding eventually). Picked up a stripped 2007 Response LXI SE. Someone was kind enough to simply uninstall most items instead of cutting them out with a sawzall (Thank you). Working with a Covid budget to get this tub back on the water for as little money as humanly possible. Seeking help to identify what is missing (lots of holes wanting hardware), hopefully some part numbers, crossing fingers for discontinued items to pop up, and trying to stick with used parts where I can (it is a used boat right?). 

Lots of hardware is available of course but some of the missing Malibu specific parts are no longer made (gauge shroud, glove box shroud, switch panels, throttle assembly, etc). Where is a good place to locate these items? Any salvage yards with a decent shot of having these items? Feedback would be greatly appreciated here. 

Couple of Videos:

Exterior: 

Engine: 

Hole on transom: grab/tow bar

swim platform latch

anchor light socket

pop-up cleats (4) two 1” holes close together 

hole in front of windshield: cup holder 

bow light 

don’t know about the tower or the small holes on starboard side.

how did you find that? Crazy

Edited by braindamage

Engine is missing ECM and throttle body in addition to alternator, etc.  I bet the block is cracked, so they parted it out. 

You are going to have to strip one to put this one together.  Did they pay you to haul it away?  I hope so. 

2 hours ago, braindamage said:

Hole on transom: grab/tow bar

swim platform latch

anchor light socket

pop-up cleats (4) two 1” holes close together 

hole in front of windshield: cup holder 

bow light 

don’t know about the tower or the small holes on starboard side.

how did you find that? Crazy

Yeah, the tower seems to have lots of small holes. Need to start comparing to complete boats and decipher what is actually missing.

2 hours ago, Chaabo said:

Bakes has been a great help. I will be compiling an order for parts from them. Boat was also originally sold by Bakes. 

1 hour ago, Eagleboy99 said:

My answer is a question:  WHY is all that stuff stripped off???

I can only assume it was a theft recovery of some sort. There is zero damage. Whoever did it took the time to meticulously disassemble it. Maybe the old owner? Who knows...

17 minutes ago, justgary said:

Engine is missing ECM and throttle body in addition to alternator, etc.  I bet the block is cracked, so they parted it out. 

You are going to have to strip one to put this one together.  Did they pay you to haul it away?  I hope so. 

I can deal with the missing parts - I would be a tad disappointed if the block was cracked. Let's stay hopeful and positive! 

Here is the rear grab handle.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Malibu-Boat-ski-tow-bar-5126191-27-1-8-Inch-Stainless-Steel/402106057474?hash=item5d9f638302:g:Ic4AAOSwpbheTX4v

Before you buy all new parts, you might want to open a “want to buy thread” in the classified section here. A few months back a member here was parting out a boat of that era. Lots of parts are interchangeable between the different models.
Also check local listings and of course eBay for used parts.

And as I understand you are on a budget - as great and knowledgeable Bakes is, they are pricey.
You can get all the Perko parts cheaper almost anywhere else. (Bow light, transom pole light, latch handles, ...) and the pull up cleats are way cheaper if you buy the generic ones (without Malibu etching).

Cool project BTW!

10 hours ago, WellingtonB said:

Let's stay hopeful and positive! 

Sorry, I'm usually very pessimistic about things.  I'll stay hopeful and positive about this one, though.

The good part is that you don't need all of the fancy stuff to use the boat once you get the motor, throttle, and steering going.

10 hours ago, WellingtonB said:

Yeah, the tower seems to have lots of small holes. Need to start comparing to complete boats and decipher what is actually missing.

Bakes has been a great help. I will be compiling an order for parts from them. Boat was also originally sold by Bakes. 

I can only assume it was a theft recovery of some sort. There is zero damage. Whoever did it took the time to meticulously disassemble it. Maybe the old owner? Who knows...

I can deal with the missing parts - I would be a tad disappointed if the block was cracked. Let's stay hopeful and positive! 

Make sure to become a supporting member here so that you can take advantage of the discounts that some of the vendors offer to us.  (Bakes is one of them....)  "May" help you stay under budget...

The thread title keeps me coming back, but then each time after being here I feel incomplete.....

What is the story on the acquisition?  I suggest pulling that engine and getting a good look at what you have, it's way easier to replace things now.  You can spend $4k on lots of misc parts but still need that much or more to overhaul or replace the engine.  It's very easy to pull from a direct drive.  Disconnect coupler (4 bolts), wiring harness, two rear engine mounts and two front engine mounts (mark their location on the threads before pulling), and it's out.

12 hours ago, justgary said:

I'm with gary on this one.  Looks like someone stripped it for disposal, can't imagine someone stealing most of that stuff.  Tweakers steal speakers, not grab bars

What is the back story on the purchase?

If it were me I would focus on putting back together the missing motor pieces - after pulling the dipstick and valve covers and checking for water evidence.

Edited by oldjeep
1 minute ago, oldjeep said:

I'm with gary on this one.  Looks like someone stripped it for disposal, can't imagine someone stealing most of that stuff.  Tweakers steal speakers, not grab bars

What is the back story on the purchase?

If it were me I would focus on putting back together the missing motor pieces - after pulling the dipstick and valve covers and checking for water evidence.

And the plenum cover has already been off; the bolts are still loose.  Lifting it might give a good clue as well.

@WellingtonB, you can still get maybe a thousand or so for that windshield.  Oh, wait, I'm supposed to be positive.

Out of curiosity - is the fuel tank in the boat?

It is pretty weird that someone spent a ton of time removing almost every chrome piece from that boat, some of that stuff it a huge pain to take off and it doesn't look like they ripped any of the uphostry panels out to make it easier.  And the teak platform is still there - arguably the easiest piece worth the most money to take off.  Maybe some kid owned it and was planning on plasti-dipping everything because the chrome offended him?  Although that wouldn't explain the missing motor parts.

• Like 1

Most of those parts are stainless, not chrome.  Anyway, it is strange to me that the upholstery is even still in it and doesn't look that bad.  

The engine hood isn't shown.  Is it included? 

In the vid of the hull it all looks pretty good too, I think it can certainly be put back together and be a great boat (assuming the underside isn't all messed up).  But it really comes down to how much the OP paid for it as to how much money should go back into it.

Prop and rudder, and engine cover appear in the first vid.

As usual, I think the Crew has provided some really good advice, along with a healthy dose of skepticism. Makes sense to start with the mechanical / electrical components before sourcing the trim pieces. Any evidence that the boat was submerged? 

• Like 1

I believe the small holes at the bottom of the tower are for the malibu emblems.  The higher up ones would probably be for board racks and/or bimini.  some of the holes on the side are for the cleats (2 under the windshield, and 2 in the back of the boat).  This isn't the same boat but here is a link to something around that year with the tower that you have for reference:  https://www.onlyinboards.com/2006-Malibu-vRide-for-sale-Campbell-California-87263.aspx

Edited by gahvey

I noticed it's missing the gauges and controls. The gauges and computer for them are a lot of money. Unless you can find a good deal on them, I would look into making you own gauge cluster with analog gauges instead of trying to bring it back to original.  In my experience the stock gauges are unreliable.

Did your boat have a wedge because if that's missing it could be another expensive part to replace.

5 minutes ago, Zippymbr said:

It seriously looks like it was going to get a new gel coat and lost interest.  One of us can take a similar video and send it to you 

An interesting concept, but they didn't take the bow rail off, and they stripped parts from the engine.

2 minutes ago, justgary said:

An interesting concept, but they didn't take the bow rail off, and they stripped parts from the engine.

Not much recycle value in the stripped part unless selling on eBay