Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Winterization Troubles

@mexicoke- Great work.  I thought that stuff only happened to me.  I would have never tried an "easy out" because they always break and then I have to deal with hardened steel in the hole.  I like your solution, and even though I would still be stooped over chiseling out remnants of the old plug, I approve completely.

I've been through that on a bicycle frame, cutting out a seized bottom bracket cup.  once I cut a couple of "pie slices" out of the siezed cup, it came out real easy.  

But as with Gary, I too approve of declaring victory in this case.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

I've been through that on a bicycle frame, cutting out a seized bottom bracket cup

How'd you manage to have that happen?  In all my years, I've never had a seized bracket.

52 minutes ago, justgary said:

@mexicoke- Great work.  I thought that stuff only happened to me.  I would have never tried an "easy out" because they always break and then I have to deal with hardened steel in the hole.  I like your solution, and even though I would still be stooped over chiseling out remnants of the old plug, I approve completely.

I honestly hate extractors for that exact reason. I have a case half full of broken ones. But this Walton was incredible, it's obviously a very specialized tool, but I would absolutely buy more of their tools. 

I'd still be cutting away at it too if the boat was in my garage/driveway at home. But when I have to drive an hour each way, I'd rather just call it a day. 

I should have just drilled and tapped the damn thing to start with. It seems like everytime I break a bolt off, in the end I always say "I should have just drilled and tapped it to start." Maybe one day I'll learn. 

1 hour ago, Eagleboy99 said:

How'd you manage to have that happen?  In all my years, I've never had a seized bracket.

haha by buying a used frame with a BB already conveniently installed.  It was a great deal and a cool frame, but the prior owner apparently hadn't heard of anti seize.