Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Quick question about Malibu trailers.

shiftman

ahopkins22LSV

If it was truly this crippling industry wide problem, then yeah all boat trailers would be galvanized. But it’s not. They last a long time with minimal upkeep and have been for some times. There are obviously extreme environments that they don’t last in, but that’s just something you have to prepare for whether buying new or used. It’s like living at the top of a mountain and expecting a base suv to tow a 7500lb boat like a diesel. Or buying a 25lsv and expecting it to ski like a response. 

This thread has been derailed way past the initial question. @shiftman, yes Malibu builds trailers in house now starting from 2016. Prior to that it was up to the dealer to source the trailer. Many used boatmate and Phoenix trailer. They are who I’d be contacting.

35 minutes ago, justgary said:

While I fully agree with you about pay if you want it, anybody after the first owner loses when the trailer rusts out.  Sadly, it becomes much more than a $1,557 option when that happens.

So let me see if I understand... you would like for Malibu to galvanize every. single. trailer. not because their customers want it, but because it’s better for the guy who buys used boats... 

did I get that right? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, IXFE said:

So let me see if I understand... you would like for Malibu to galvanize every. single. trailer. not because their customers want it, but because it’s better for the guy who buys used boats... 

did I get that right? 

No, I want every manufacturer to galvanize every. single. trailer!  Bwaaaa-haaaa-haaaaa-haaa!

It's interesting how people only buy boats in resellable colors, but when they want to sell them, they act like the trailer has no value.  "What do you mean you want $3,500 off of my price because you have to buy a new trailer?"

• Like 2
On 11/28/2020 at 11:25 PM, Eagleboy99 said:

Rust never sleeps.  Frankly, next trailer I get will be galv, stainless or aluminum.  

This, I would love to see!  A polished, stainless trailer would be so sweet with a little silver Txi on it.

30 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

This, I would love to see!  A polished, stainless trailer would be so sweet with a little silver Txi on it.

5DBFAFF7-2AA6-44DF-9FB0-29F344FE0C7F.jpe 

I am positive there's an outfit in California that makes polished SS trailers for inboards.  But that on ei s100% stainless.

• Like 1

Looks interesting. 

Living in one of the fishing capitals the demand is primarily on ocean boats, therefore we see a lot of aluminium trailers. Generally they're all generic and non bling, unlike tow boat trailers. I wonder if a brand like boatmate were to make one how it would turn out on terms of looks. 

Not trying to derail the thread but have you guys seen the new paragon trailers?? 

https://wizardlakemarine.com/brands/nautique/2021-nautique-paragon-g23/

2 hours ago, justgary said:

No, I want every manufacturer to galvanize every. single. trailer!  Bwaaaa-haaaa-haaaaa-haaa!

It's interesting how people only buy boats in resellable colors, but when they want to sell them, they act like the trailer has no value.  "What do you mean you want $3,500 off of my price because you have to buy a new trailer?"

I’d much rather have 18’s on my trailer 😂😂😂

But just for you, Gary... I’ll check the galvanized box this year. 

• Like 2

Painted steel is fine for freshwater use, even though galvanized will still last longer.  The problem with a galvanized trailer for a fresh water boat is people will simple assume you dropped the boat in salt when you try and sell it.   Nothing screams salt boat like a galvanized trailer.  

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

Painted steel is fine for freshwater use, even though galvanized will still last longer.  The problem with a galvanized trailer for a fresh water boat is people will simple assume you dropped the boat in salt when you try and sell it.   Nothing screams salt boat like a galvanized trailer.  

Well, if you are hundreds of miles from an ocean, it should be obvious.  Besides, the trailer is NOT The saltwater tip off.   As for painted steel, rock chips from normal travel eventually rust; no salt involved.

Potential Buyer:  Nice trailer.  Did you run the boat in the salt?

Seller:   Nope.  Not ever.  Not even once.

Potential buyer:  Never?

Seller:  Never.  

Potential Buyer:  [que Larry David side-eye stare-down]

Funny, when I bought my boat, the guy said that "we have only used it in salt water a few times."  I said, "A few?"  He said, "well, no more than about maybe six...."

I knew I was going to put it in salt water a lot more than that, but it didn't stop me from talking him out of a few bucks.

On 11/27/2020 at 1:38 PM, Eagleboy99 said:

production of a galvanized trailer is almost no differen than a regulkar trailer. Add a few weep holes and send the frame out for galvanizing dip.  The big question is if BM has access to a hot dip facility.  Up here they are as rare as hen's teeth now due to environmental regs.

True galvanizing involves an electrical charge, something called E-coating.  Not something your going to find down the corner at the end of the block.  When I worked on (building) auto assembly plants, we used to bring things in and the E-coat line would attach it to a vehicle and galv-coat the item for us.

Edited by electricjohn
3 hours ago, electricjohn said:

True galvanizing involves an electrical charge, something called E-coating.  Not something your going to find down the corner at the end of the block.  When I worked on (building) auto assembly plants, we used to bring things in and the E-coat line would attach it to a vehicle and galv-coat the item for us.

E-coating and galvanizing are not the same thing.  E-coating results in a much smoother surface than hot dip.  I've done a lot of hot dip parts and things over the years and they are easily paintable though they do not have to be.  For a trailer hot dip works just perfectly well and handles things like rock chips much better than e-coating.  

On 11/26/2020 at 8:03 AM, ahopkinsVTX said:

Agreed. It’s by far the best trailer I’ve had. Boats load perfect. And tow very stable and balanced. 

My shop says there is a lot of flex/bounce in the front section of the trailer and that the bunk supports have a tendency to bend forward.  The guides are also a bit far out to be useful. 

I just received the boat today so I haven't towed it yet but definitely see what he's talking about.

ahopkins22LSV
42 minutes ago, Greg_S said:

My shop says there is a lot of flex/bounce in the front section of the trailer and that the bunk supports have a tendency to bend forward.  The guides are also a bit far out to be useful. 

I just received the boat today so I haven't towed it yet but definitely see what he's talking about.

I’ve towed thousands of miles and launch every time we use the boat. The guides are fine and not too far out. They help center the boat just as they should. I’ve never experienced any flex in any of the front bunks. The very front bunks barely carry any load. They are mainly for centering the bow up to the bow stop. If they are bending forward I suspect it would be from power loading too hard and or having the trailer too far out of the water. Again just my experiences and still say is by far the best trailer I’ve owned. YMMV

• Like 3
On 12/11/2020 at 3:04 PM, ahopkinsVTX said:

I’ve towed thousands of miles and launch every time we use the boat. The guides are fine and not too far out. They help center the boat just as they should. I’ve never experienced any flex in any of the front bunks. The very front bunks barely carry any load. They are mainly for centering the bow up to the bow stop. If they are bending forward I suspect it would be from power loading too hard and or having the trailer too far out of the water. Again just my experiences and still say is by far the best trailer I’ve owned. YMMV

I had an Extreme trailer on my 05 and the 2017 I just bought has a Malibu and am certainly hoping my experience is the same as yours during the next 10 years we have the new to us 25 LSV.  I was just passing along what my service manager told me he's experienced. 

I received the boat last Friday and the brackets on my trailer have several that are bent. Seems to me that the previous owner was not all that well adept at loading. I'd load pics but don't seem to have that ability. Would be happy to email or text if someone wants to PM me contact info if you are interested in seeing it. 

On 11/22/2020 at 10:39 AM, shiftman said:

Found a trade-in 2008 Wakesetter 21 VLX with no trailer. Do Malibus come from the factory with Malibu built "inhouse" trailers, aftermarket trailers or a combination of both.So far, I have not had much luck in locating a suitable trailer on the web and was unsure how Malibu did their trailers. Thanks.

The factory Boatmate trailers from that era have Malibu laser cut into the fender supports and malibu logos on the fenders.

If you need to buy a trailer for that boat you should still be able to order a boatmate through one of their dealers (your local malibu dealer can likely still get them)

Edited by oldjeep