Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

window mounted or tower mounted mirror?

MystiikVLX

We have both tower and windshield mounted mirrors on our VLX. The tower mounted mirror view to starboard is obstructed by boards on the tower racks. I have experimented with various mounting locations and angles for the tower mirror. Never able to achieve a great view to that side. Actually rely on both mirrors in order to keep an eye on what is happening behind the boat. 

My thoughts are related to the factory tower mirror on a g3.5. First, If the bimini wasn’t fully slid towards the bow, the mirror provided a great place to hit your head or any time it was in the “stow” position. Second, you need to remove it before you drop the tower, if not, it will scar the dash pad (don’t ask me how I know this). Third, the little crush washer that helps it clamp tightly in place is easy to lose (especially if you remove it when every time you put the tower down) and once gone, the mirror never really locks in place  like it should. 

9 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

My thoughts are related to the factory tower mirror on a g3.5. First, If the bimini wasn’t fully slid towards the bow, the mirror provided a great place to hit your head or any time it was in the “stow” position. Second, you need to remove it before you drop the tower, if not, it will scar the dash pad (don’t ask me how I know this). Third, the little crush washer that helps it clamp tightly in place is easy to lose (especially if you remove it when every time you put the tower down) and once gone, the mirror never really locks in place  like it should. 

I don't care for the factory tower mount but the ease of use for the NiceRack made my decision to buy. Malibu now has an option for the same type of arm.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/20/2020 at 10:03 AM, dalt1 said:

I would do anything to get rid of my windshield mount. Oh wait, I did, I bought a NiceRack tower mount and love it.

And the new factory mounted mirror is the NiceRack mirror (just a different color.)  Such a great design. It was a happy day when I ripped the windshild mounted on off the boat!

On 11/22/2020 at 12:23 PM, shawndoggy said:

windshield mirror works great on my '16 T22.  Ours is mounted on the "wrong" side, which is also hugely beneficial to the driver's forward line of sight.  92865141-4B07-4B04-8594-7D0391AAD69A_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.b3952ab8874a49e4709c44180e83daf9.jpeg

Tried it and hated it too!

I thought I might point out that it seems like it is the folks who surf with the bow of the boat up that have all of the problems with visibility.  It makes sense that you have to raise your seat to see over the bow, then you have to move your mirror because it is now blocking your view.  This seems to be a big reason why you either like or dislike your windshield-mounted mirror.  Note that I am not criticizing here, just stating the (perhaps obvious to some) observation.

I am a big fan of the CIPA 2310 mount and 180* mirror combo as shown in @shawndoggy's post above.  That's because I use my boat at > 30 MPH most of the time, and the mirror sticks above the windshield far enough that I have a clear view underneath it (without twisting it).  I don't have a tower, so that isn't a problem, but I do keep the OEM mirror on the center window because it is very handy to rotate it so the driver can easily see a barefooter on the boom without having to crane his neck.

It might be worth driving your boat while an assistant holds the mirror for you to let you try various positions.  Once you find the place you like, figure out a mount that puts the mirror there.  And as others have said, two mirrors may be better than one to get you the coverage you desire.

@justgary thought I might point out that it seems like it is the folks who surf with the bow of the boat up that have all of the problems with visibility.

We surf little and Hydrofoil at 24 mph most the time. Just don't like that big block of distraction in front of me. Also love the feature of quick stowage on  my NiceRack mount. Push button and swing it up out of everyone and everything way! If we are not riding, it is stowed. See how it is completely out of the way!image.thumb.png.0f2640e246d7f104575cbbf5fe3eef51.pngimage.thumb.png.8936014a5a41c8138cbb0c4c6290c61d.png