Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1999 Sunsetter VLX

nube

1 hour ago, UWSkier said:

Didn't the 99 VLX come with the integrated table on the starboard side behind the driver?  I never liked that.  It's better that this boat doesn't have that.

Yep it did. Had a cooler mount screwed to the floor under it.  It was the first thing I took off my 99. Followed by the electric actuator that lifts the rear hatch. 

On 11/22/2020 at 7:11 AM, BlindSquirrel said:

Yep, no wedge on mine either and it surfs fine. I have fat sacs in the locations you’re thinking but an additional one that makes the most difference.

On 11/22/2020 at 7:11 AM, BlindSquirrel said:

Yep, no wedge on mine either and it surfs fine. I have fat sacs in the locations you’re thinking but an additional one that makes the most difference. Under the front seats too. 

@BlindSquirrel
how much ballast do you have in each of those locations?  I didn’t want to overload the boat and will have 2 adults, 3 kids aboard most days that we’re out on the boat ...

thanks!!!

4 hours ago, nube said:

@BlindSquirrel
how much ballast do you have in each of those locations?  I didn’t want to overload the boat and will have 2 adults, 3 kids aboard most days that we’re out on the boat ...

thanks!!!

I think in the back is ~500lbs on each side and whatever the front under the seats is. Betting like 350lbs ish. I’ll have my boat home in a month or so. I’ll follow up then.

500 on each side of the engine isn't going to get you a very good wave. 

You're not going to overload the boat with the setup i throughout there.  You can always fill sacs less but they can only get so big. 

On 11/22/2020 at 7:46 PM, jhartt3 said:

I ran twin ronix 1100s on either side of the engine 600 in the belly and 400 in the nose. Always fill the surf side full and the non surf side about 30-50%. And you can use a suck gate. I built surfgates on mine. And a custom controller. You can find it over at wakegarage. 

Again wedge is not necessary at all. Of course the suck gates help it's simple physics. 

@jhartt3

That’s a lot of weight in this boat ... you’ve got the same 99 VLX?  I definitely trust experience ... just making sure we’re looking at apples to apples.  Thanks!

I’m hoping to buy some wake sacks this weekend - Black Friday / Cyber Monday deals ... just want to buy the right thing without overloading the boat ... I had been thinking 350 x 2 alongside the v drive and 175 in the center locker ... I figured that would fit the weight limit with 5 people aboard.

Edited by nube

@jhartt3 definitely had his 99VLX loaded that way.   He can comment if the 1100s were actually able to fill all the way or not.   In any case, you'll definitely want bigger bags than 350s.    Like stated before, you can always buy bigger bags and fill them less depending on conditions and crew size.   And I know budgets can creep fast, but if you can pick up reversible pumps with Black Friday deals now, go for it.   Over the side pumps get old quick and by the time you buy twice the amount of aerator pumps, most just wish they bought reversibles to start.   

@Nitrousbird has a great setup for that era hull also.  

• Like 2

350s will be a waste of money if you surf.  I had 400s then 600s back there and still needed an L shaped sack across the surf side and rear seats. Once I went to 1100s I could ditch that sack. Probably got about 900-950 in the surf side sack. I wouldn't go smaller than 750s minimum. And youll want a rear seat sack for the ski locker and and integrated bow sack for the nose. I left the nose full. And had the other 3 on reversible pumps.

Yes same boat as you  

Edited by jhartt3

You can't surf a boat and stay under the weight limits why do you think so new boats come with plug and play sacs

I mean a kid could surf probably. Weight limits are a mild suggestion

Edited by jhartt3

You're also going to want at least an acme 1235 for a prop. You can pick them up used for around 300 or so. If you don't ever need to go very fast you can go all. The way down to a 2315. 

1 hour ago, jhartt3 said:

post from nitrousbird with the same hull you've got and i had.  

Thanks - makes a lot of sense ...

do you know the dimensions of the center locker?  

looking at the Straight Line Big Bag 375 Ballast Bag (375 lbs) - 65x14x14 ... 

Dimensions: 62" L x 26" W x 10" H.

Fat sac center locker sac w705

It's 650lb again. Just buy the bigger sacks. You can always fill them less 

Edited by jhartt3
29 minutes ago, jhartt3 said:

Dimensions: 62" L x 26" W x 10" H.

Fat sac center locker sac w705

It's 650lb again. Just buy the bigger sacks. You can always fill them less 

Thanks 

Glad to be of help even  though I didn’t post to this topic. 😁 That said, I also decided to look at that advice closer and decided that yes, would be better to do it right The first time. Go larger so when you want it you have the ballast. It prompted me to change where I will store items so I can have the room to add the larger ballast. My wave currently is no where close to what it could be and I can’t surf it but my kids can. 

Edited by williemon