Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

22 or 23 LSV

Lynsay

We have had a 2000 21 Sunsetter and have loved it, but not big enough wake for my 6’ 1” son and husband. Looking at buying a 2019 22 LSV.  We will use in the river and tow to lakes so think this is the perfect balance providing what we need in a smaller package than 23, but hopefully more spacious than our 21.  Going to see it in person tomorrow.  Are we going to regret not going for the 23? Our kids have surfed on the 23 are they going to be disappointed by the 22?  In addition to surfing with the kids we also would love to have three couples on it for cocktail cruises. Is there enough space? TIA!!

38 minutes ago, TURNITRED said:

I think you would regret not going with the 23.  I went to a 23 from a 21 VLX and could never go back.  No i'm looking at 24MXZ and 25LSV.  

I completely agree.  We are coming out of a  2017 22 VLX to a 2021 23 LSV.  It's kind of surprising to me how much more cabin space the 23 seems to have.  @Lynsay  the 22LSV is virtually the same as our 22 VLX.  We looked at one side by side with the 23 and while it seems insignificant that it's only 12" longer, it feels much larger with better storage, etc.  Another point for us that we prefer in the 23 is that when the wakeview bench is deployed, there's much more usable space in the cabin than the 22.  I know of no one who's gone to a larger boat and been unhappy.  Truth be told, if we had the space, we would be looking at a 25 LSV.  It's such an awesome platform, but for us it would mean a new canopy for our boat hoist and our home lake can't really justify a 25 very well.  The 23 is the best choice for us all around.  

• Like 2

Although I like the 23, going from the 2000 21 sunsetter to the 22 is going to be a big change.  We went from a 2003 21 vlx to a 2015 22 vlx and the space improvement was so much more than we expected.  We ended up upgrading to a 22 LSV, and although our crew isn't the largest I still find I have room for all the people we put in with gear. 

Either way I don't think you will be disappointed...they are both great boats!

I would add that I think it depends on your situation.  We were in the same spot as you as we had an 01 Sunsetter VLX and got an ‘18 22 VLX.  It was definitely a big improvement on space but we keep our boat in our boathouse on a lake.  We can always make a trip back to the boathouse if we forget something or someone is tired of being on the boat or we are packed. You mentioned taking it to the river and trips to lakes so you’ll be on the boat for longer periods of time...with that I would lean toward a bigger boat.

Our first Malibu was a 22VLX, which we loved.  Since then we are on our second 23 LSV and would never go back.  The extra space is always nice and even at a foot longer it seems to handle better.  

• Like 2