Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Car sub/speakers in a boat?

DOJOLOACH2

I saw a classifieds ad on here selling a sub and amp. Upon further research they are meant for cars.

What is eveeyones opinions? The sub in question is a jl audio 12w3. Id place it under the dash of my echelon....its been known to take on water here and there

I use a car deck, car amps and car sub in mine.  Speakers are marine rated (they are in areas that can get splashed).  My amps, sub and deck are located such that they are protected (sub box and amp are up under the bow, deck is in the centre console but rarely if ever gets wet).

Alpine car deck, Boston Acoustics car amp, and Basslink car sub in mine since 2012.  Speakers are marine Polk DB's.  No problems at all, except this year the wire that connects the "ipod" to the HU is intermittent.

Perfectly fine IME. Unless you are exposed to saltwater where a conformal coating on the boards is a good thing.  I would stick with polypropylene speaker cones though.  Speaking of which I think I might replace my rear speakers next year with some white ones that blend better into the upholstery (coaming pads)

Good info,

I plan to put the sub by the drivers feet in my echelon, maybe in the passenger hatch. I'll mount the amp up high under the dash. SHould get hit with water unless a major swamp occurrs

2 hours ago, DOJOLOACH2 said:

Good info,

I plan to put the sub by the drivers feet in my echelon, maybe in the passenger hatch. I'll mount the amp up high under the dash. SHould get hit with water unless a major swamp occurrs

Is yours a closed or open bow?

18 hours ago, DOJOLOACH2 said:

Open

The bow cushion on the wall that divides the bow from the cabin has bolts that go thru.  I mounted my amp and wiring to a piece of plexi, and then attached that amp & plexi to those bolts.  It keeps it up and away from everything.  That is in the observers compartment, the sub is in the little opening in front of the drivers feet.

Stereo Amp mount location 1.JPG

Stereo Amp mounting board trimmed.JPG

Stereo Amp wired.JPG

I used a car sub in my boat under the front foot kick panel in a custom built box.

I used plywood (not MDF) and sealed it.  Most importantly, I used 3/4" tall plastic spacers to keep box elevated off carpet.

Here is my thread of it.

3 hours ago, DOJOLOACH2 said:

bwell ok guys i went with a jl12w3v3-2

And an xd600 amp. I hope it works out in the echelon

I have that exact setup with a sealed Q-Bomb box in my 23 LSV. It sounds really good. You won't regret it. :rockon:

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Kojak said:

I have that exact setup with a sealed Q-Bomb box in my 23 LSV. It sounds really good. You won't regret it. :rockon:

Ill have to look into that. Some sites recomend ported

1 hour ago, DOJOLOACH2 said:

Ill have to look into that. Some sites recomend ported

I had a ported 12" Exile sub in my 06 firing at the driver and now a sealed, side facing 12" JL Audio sub in my 15. The sealed sub is hands down the better sounding sub. I did that on @IXFE's recommendation and I'm glad I did. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/19/2020 at 8:52 PM, Kojak said:

I had a ported 12" Exile sub in my 06 firing at the driver and now a sealed, side facing 12" JL Audio sub in my 15. The sealed sub is hands down the better sounding sub. I did that on @IXFE's recommendation and I'm glad I did. 

So you have the face of the sub pointed toward the bow aisle?

3 hours ago, DOJOLOACH2 said:

So you have the face of the sub pointed toward the bow aisle?

No, towards the starboard side of the boat. I have a Malibu emblem tied into my LEDs on the sub panel and didn't want to remove it.

20200514_180809.jpg

20200513_175051.jpg

19 minutes ago, Kojak said:

No, towards the starboard side of the boat. I have a Malibu emblem tied into my LEDs on the sub panel and didn't want to remove it.

20200514_180809.jpg

20200513_175051.jpg

Looks sexy and that box is only 70 bucks on amazon. Im debating just getting that box now and making a false wall infront of it basically same as yours. 

Seems like it would be a lot less hassle and cheaper than if i were to make my own box

What made you decide to point toward the starboard? Does the bass radiate through the hull better?

Edited by DOJOLOACH2

Yeah, the Q-Bomb box is cheap and it was a simple addition. I've seen a few other side facing subs and they all point towards the side of the boat so that's the way I did mine. There's probably a reason but I don't know it.

26 minutes ago, Kojak said:

Yeah, the Q-Bomb box is cheap and it was a simple addition. I've seen a few other side facing subs and they all point towards the side of the boat so that's the way I did mine. There's probably a reason but I don't know it.

Thanks for the input. Did you find you ran the xd600 amp at lower gain level with this sub? I was thinking to start out at 425watts rms to the sub at an 80hz filter.

1 hour ago, Kojak said:

20200514_180809.jpg

20200513_175051.jpg

I have mine in a Q-Bomb pointed towards the stern with 600 rms powering it.  Sounds good that way but have never tried side facing.   I do get lots of bass that way and can modulate it with the WS420.

17 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

I have mine in a Q-Bomb pointed towards the stern with 600 rms powering it.  Sounds good that way but have never tried side facing.   I do get lots of bass that way and can modulate it with the WS420.

Did you go sealed as well? Looks like the qbomb 12" on amazon is. 16x16x 13. Does that sound familiar? They have a few models but i believe that ends up being 1.3ft3

11 hours ago, DOJOLOACH2 said:

Did you go sealed as well? Looks like the qbomb 12" on amazon is. 16x16x 13. Does that sound familiar? They have a few models but i believe that ends up being 1.3ft3

Yes, sealed.  I put some rigid insulation foam in the box to get the volume down to what Wet Sounds recommended.