Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

DOJOLOACH2

Car sub/speakers in a boat?

DOJOLOACH2

I saw a classifieds ad on here selling a sub and amp. Upon further research they are meant for cars.

What is eveeyones opinions? The sub in question is a jl audio 12w3. Id place it under the dash of my echelon....its been known to take on water here and there

solorex

I use a car deck, car amps and car sub in mine.  Speakers are marine rated (they are in areas that can get splashed).  My amps, sub and deck are located such that they are protected (sub box and amp are up under the bow, deck is in the centre console but rarely if ever gets wet).

Michigan boarder

Alpine car deck, Boston Acoustics car amp, and Basslink car sub in mine since 2012.  Speakers are marine Polk DB's.  No problems at all, except this year the wire that connects the "ipod" to the HU is intermittent.

Eagleboy99

Perfectly fine IME. Unless you are exposed to saltwater where a conformal coating on the boards is a good thing.  I would stick with polypropylene speaker cones though.  Speaking of which I think I might replace my rear speakers next year with some white ones that blend better into the upholstery (coaming pads)

DOJOLOACH2

Good info,

I plan to put the sub by the drivers feet in my echelon, maybe in the passenger hatch. I'll mount the amp up high under the dash. SHould get hit with water unless a major swamp occurrs

Michigan boarder
2 hours ago, DOJOLOACH2 said:

Good info,

I plan to put the sub by the drivers feet in my echelon, maybe in the passenger hatch. I'll mount the amp up high under the dash. SHould get hit with water unless a major swamp occurrs

Is yours a closed or open bow?

DOJOLOACH2
49 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

Is yours a closed or open bow?

Open

DOJOLOACH2

The guy is selling a syn4 wetsounds amp, and 12w3v3-2. $350 for amp, 175 for the Sub.

NClakelife

Any 6.5's looking for a few.

DOJOLOACH2
12 minutes ago, NClakelife said:

Any 6.5's looking for a few.

Nope

Michigan boarder
18 hours ago, DOJOLOACH2 said:

Open

The bow cushion on the wall that divides the bow from the cabin has bolts that go thru.  I mounted my amp and wiring to a piece of plexi, and then attached that amp & plexi to those bolts.  It keeps it up and away from everything.  That is in the observers compartment, the sub is in the little opening in front of the drivers feet.

Stereo Amp mount location 1.JPG

Stereo Amp mounting board trimmed.JPG

Stereo Amp wired.JPG

Joeprunc

I used a car sub in my boat under the front foot kick panel in a custom built box.

I used plywood (not MDF) and sealed it.  Most importantly, I used 3/4" tall plastic spacers to keep box elevated off carpet.

Here is my thread of it.

DOJOLOACH2

bwell ok guys i went with a jl12w3v3-2

And an xd600 amp. I hope it works out in the echelon

Kojak
3 hours ago, DOJOLOACH2 said:

bwell ok guys i went with a jl12w3v3-2

And an xd600 amp. I hope it works out in the echelon

I have that exact setup with a sealed Q-Bomb box in my 23 LSV. It sounds really good. You won't regret it. :rockon:

DOJOLOACH2
13 minutes ago, Kojak said:

I have that exact setup with a sealed Q-Bomb box in my 23 LSV. It sounds really good. You won't regret it. :rockon:

Ill have to look into that. Some sites recomend ported

Kojak
1 hour ago, DOJOLOACH2 said:

Ill have to look into that. Some sites recomend ported

I had a ported 12" Exile sub in my 06 firing at the driver and now a sealed, side facing 12" JL Audio sub in my 15. The sealed sub is hands down the better sounding sub. I did that on @IXFE's recommendation and I'm glad I did.