Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Warranty Question

Chrismoe

56 minutes ago, RyanB said:

Or, you could be cynical and argue that the auto manufacturers do a better job with QC in the first place, and can afford a longer warranty to multiple owners because it isn't likely to cost them nearly as much.......

My kids both have Mitsubishis.  The vehicles come with 5 year bumper-to-bumper AND 10 year powertrain warranty.  How can Mits do that?  Simple - they build a reliable beast that does not need to use the warranties.  For young folks like mine, the idea that other than oil changes and other consumables like wiper blades and tires (and even those have wear warranties!), they don't have to spend a dime for the first five, and nothing on powertrain (which covers a lot) for the next five is really attractive.  Esp. when you are saving for a house, etc.  Of course cars are not boats - boats are simpler (well, they were until they got electronified) and should be less warranty prone, but QC developed over millions of vehicles makes cars a better bet for the mfg.

The engineering going into our boats is a fraction of the work going into our vehicles. Just the testing time on the full unit is very small. As said boats are quite simple compared to our vehicles.  So I think its not unreasonable just that its not apples to apples. The durability testing for vehicles is in another realm.  

17 minutes ago, Sixball said:

The engineering going into our boats is a fraction of the work going into our vehicles. Just the testing time on the full unit is very small. As said boats are quite simple compared to our vehicles.  So I think its not unreasonable just that its not apples to apples. The durability testing for vehicles is in another realm.  

Not to mention the level of automation in car assembly - providing either a lot of perfect cars or a lot of screwed up ones.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 11/16/2020 at 6:33 AM, COOP said:

As others have stated, warranty transfers to second owner and stops there. Lifetime hull is first owner only.

Being a original owner of a 1992 Euro Sunsetter  My Hull is life time. ( Says it in my warranty)

I moved to Utah,  I asked the local Malibu Dealer( North of SLC) to schedule a service on my Malibu.  "They told me they could not service my Malibu because it was too old".

I called my Original dealer in Ventura Ca. He said WHAT??   Bring it here and I will service it. ( This was before they switch  to MC)

The Malibu dealer in Utah did referred me to a Guy in SLC that will service my relic Boat. 

So will  the warranty work on my Hull if and when I need it? And is my warranty still transferable after 28 years?

I should call the Malibu factory just for sh--ts & giggles  and ask them.   LOL

Edited by Rack

I suspect hull warranty work would be done with a phone call.

I think the lifetime hull is only to the first owner. But I dont know about a boat that old.

I do understand not working on old boats, its not that they cant work on it, its that they dont want to. Old boats can be a real can of worms.