Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Warranty Question

Chrismoe

Hello all,

Warranty question I am hoping you all can help with. It is my understanding that Malibu provides 2 warranty “slots”. If accurate, the original owner falls into slot 1 and the 2nd owner falls into slot 2. If you are buyer 2 and want to sell, and there are not remaining warranty slots but the boat is only 1 or 2 years old, are there warranty alternatives?

Many thanks everyone,

Chris

2 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

If I understand your post, you are asking if there is an alternative for the third owner of a boat?  Not from Malibu but you might find a third party warranty outfit.

Hi Eagleboy,

TY for your reply. Yea, that is what I figured. Kind of surprising how many boat sellers out there that are not aware (or are not talking about) 2 Malibu warranty slots VS. 5 years of coverage. 

Chris

10 minutes ago, Chrismoe said:

Hi Eagleboy,

TY for your reply. Yea, that is what I figured. Kind of surprising how many boat sellers out there that are not aware (or are not talking about) 2 Malibu warranty slots VS. 5 years of coverage. 

Chris

Well, to be fair, the wording is not clear.  For example, Indmar suggests the engine warranty is transferable any number of time,s but I really doubt that.

3 minutes ago, Sixer said:

I thought they also had a lifetime hull warranty against defects which I would assume does not matter how many owners have had the boat.

1st owner only

Agreed.  There are a lot of sub 5 year old boats that are looking for a 3rd owner.   They are still looking for high dollar prices, touting a 5 year warranty incorrectly.  

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Leftlane said:

That’s the dumbest thing I’ve heard - what company doesn’t stand behind their product for the warranty period regardless of how many owners there are? 

Malibu, Mastercraft, and Nautique, to name three off the top of my head.  

• Like 4
10 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

Malibu, Mastercraft, and Nautique, to name three off the top of my head.  

Yeah pretty much all of em.

Its not like buying a chevy. 

And from the dealer side all the warranties are seperate. Cover issues go through whoever made the cover, engine warranties through that manufacture, trailers as well. Everyone holds their own warranty. The Malibu trailers if you have axel or hub issues have to go through Dexter Axel. The consumers dont see it on their end. 

Edited by COOP
  • Like 2
11 hours ago, Leftlane said:

That’s the dumbest thing I’ve heard - what company doesn’t stand behind their product for the warranty period regardless of how many owners there are? 

Most things you buy.

And most cars with long warranties have a reduced warranty for the second owner.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

I personally wouldn't be looking at boats that have switched hands twice in 2-4 years.  Looks too much like people trying to dump a problem, whether it is true or not.

There are those who like frequent upgrades, too.  Several members on this site are like that. 

4 minutes ago, Slayer said:

There are those who like frequent upgrades, too.  Several members on this site are like that. 

Yeah, for the first sale.  Like I said, may not be true but I wouldn't buy a car that changed hands twice in 2-4 years either.

3 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Yeah, for the first sale.  Like I said, may not be true but I wouldn't buy a car that changed hands twice in 2-4 years either.

I get it but it's not uncommon.  I switch vehicles often.  Sometimes I've had 2 or 3 inside of 2-4 years.  With boats, it's the same for many people.  There are always those buyers out there who are interested in an upgrade every year or so, some new, some used.  I don't see it as a reflection of the vehicles or vessels being poorly maintained.  But, I do understand your point. 

22 minutes ago, Slayer said:

Compare the numbers of Chevy's sold to the number of Malibu's sold.  They can't justify what the automakers can.

Or, you could be cynical and argue that the auto manufacturers do a better job with QC in the first place, and can afford a longer warranty to multiple owners because it isn't likely to cost them nearly as much.......

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, Slayer said:

Compare the numbers of Chevy's sold to the number of Malibu's sold.  They can't justify what the automakers can.

Must be a margin game for the manufactures.  Without a doubt they are accruing for the average warranty cost over five years (I bet they have LOTS of data here).  Build the financials with the cost of the five year warranty and if it changes hands more than twice they keep the accrual. 

Certainly news to me in no more than two owners for the "bumper to bumper warranty."  I kind of agree, I don't know if I follow the logic. 

26 minutes ago, RyanB said:

Or, you could be cynical and argue that the auto manufacturers do a better job with QC in the first place, and can afford a longer warranty to multiple owners because it isn't likely to cost them nearly as much.......

I laughed at this for a minute then thought that it's kind of strange Malibu, or any other tow boat manufacturer, would have less QA/QC than an automotive manufacturer.  In my mind, it seems that a manufacturer of a tow boat would be better equipped to audit technology at each station in the line than an automotive manufacturer, simply based on unit produced per day.  

25 minutes ago, Five Cent Worth said:

Must be a margin game for the manufactures.  Without a doubt they are accruing for the average warranty cost over five years (I bet they have LOTS of data here).  Build the financials with the cost of the five year warranty and if it changes hands more than twice they keep the accrual. 

Certainly news to me in no more than two owners for the "bumper to bumper warranty."  I kind of agree, I don't know if I follow the logic. 

I'd be interested to see that data.  You may be right.