Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hull Blisters - Concern

Cody99photo

https://imgur.com/gallery/pHtcCTM

Hi Everyone, 

Im new Malibu boats and buying my first one soon hopefully.  I went to look at one and found it to be in ok condition needs mostly cosmetic work from what I’m seeing but I think the hull is getting blisters. I’ve attached the pictures and it seems to start at the water line and is sporadic but I found it near the bow and further down the hull. Can you tell me of this is ok, or doesn’t this need repair and if so is it more immediate or something to look down the road. If you know roughly the cost the would be amazing or a range but I understand.  I appreciate any help! I really want to make sure I don’t get burned buying a boat or one that needs more work then I want or can afford to put in. 

That is LOT of blistering!  You would need a gel coat pro for something that large IMO.  I would have that hull surveyed and get a repair estimate.   I have a few, a very few, mostly from (I think) wet bunks.  The are minimal though, and tiny.

3 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

That is LOT of blistering!  You would need a gel coat pro for something that large IMO.  I would have that hull surveyed and get a repair estimate.   I have a few, a very few, mostly from (I think) wet bunks.  The are minimal though, and tiny.

Totally agree, never seen one that bad.  Mine has a total of like 10 tiny ones on the whole hull.

Looks like my '95 that I left in the water for months on end. I knew it would happen and bought that boat knowing it was going to happen. Didn't affect performance as I could tell. It's a bargaining point if you are thinking about the boat. 

Steve B.

16 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

Looks like my '95 that I left in the water for months on end. I knew it would happen and bought that boat knowing it was going to happen. Didn't affect performance as I could tell. It's a bargaining point if you are thinking about the boat. 

Steve B.

The only issue with mega-blisters is that if they are big/deep enough, you can get structural issues (ie. waterlogged FG fibers)

• 2 weeks later...

I think unless you're getting this boat almost for free its best to avoid a boat with heavy (any) blisters. The repair cost is generally not worth it and for the most part no one will want a boat with a blistered hull.

Edited by jayR