Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 Stereo upgrade


DaDeuce

Recommended Posts

I just recently purchased a 2016 with what I think is stereo pack 3. Here is what is currently in the boat from a “stock” perspective:

 

- 4 Wetsounds Rev 8’s on the tower

- 8 Rockford fosgates in cabin speakers (4 8” in the rear and 4 6.5” in the bow)

- Rockford sub (not sure the model number but it’s the stock one)

- the 3 stock RF amps

 

With Black Friday coming up I’m looking at potential upgrade paths and to score some deals. The stock stereo does have some ambient noise on it as well. I’m not totally convince I want a new head unit to eliminTe this, but may be open to it if I can still utilize the sport knob for everything else. What are my best bang for the buck upgrades? I’m thinking in order of priority:

 

1. Replace RF tower amp with a Syn2.3 to drive the tower speakers

1a. Replace the RF cabin speaker amp with a syn 6 amp.

2. Replace head unit with wetsounds eq with blue tooth, I believe this will improve my static noise problem. However I believe this eliminates volume control on the sport knob?

2a. I really like slurpie’s sport knob replacement from a few years ago, however since I’ve never even used the sport knob yet (new to us boat), I’m not sure I want to eliminate it entirely. Has anyone relocated the sport knob to somewhere else on the helm? Or has anyone integrated a transome type remote next to the sport knob (replacing where the cell phone holder goes?)

3. Replace sub and amp. 
 

Help me spend some money!

 

 

 

 

Link to post

I’ve seen a lot of people put headunits in sportknob spot. Why is your reason for wanting a new headunit? Syn dx2.3 would be good for towers, syn sd6 would be good for interiors, are you planning on changing the interiors? Also, I’d highly reccomend wetsounds xxx12 sub and a syn dx2.3

Link to post

I have a rev 12 for sale that was in my 2020 23 MXZ. I used it for maybe 5 months. I also have a JL Audio 12W3 2 ohm sub for sale used for one summer and a JL Audio amp 600/ 1V2 if your interested. Also have a Wetsounds Syn4. Shoot me a PM if your interested in any of the equipment. 

Link to post
1 hour ago, Brandonloos21 said:

I’ve seen a lot of people put headunits in sportknob spot. Why is your reason for wanting a new headunit? Syn dx2.3 would be good for towers, syn sd6 would be good for interiors, are you planning on changing the interiors? Also, I’d highly reccomend wetsounds xxx12 sub and a syn dx2.3

Don't necessarily want a new head unit, however there is some buzz in the system using the stock one. From my research on here, it sounds like this is a common problem with the stock unit that is difficult to eliminate. I'd like to design my upgrades in a way that lets me flex if I want to add the additional stuff in the future. I'm not sure how much I'll actually use the sport knob (didn't have one in the 2006), so I'm not sure if I want to just yank it right out. I understand that by adding a head unit that I would eliminate the ability for the knob to control volume or track, but I'm thinking I may still use the speed, wedge, and surf gate controls.

Link to post
3 hours ago, dwc032 said:

I have a rev 12 for sale that was in my 2020 23 MXZ. I used it for maybe 5 months. I also have a JL Audio 12W3 2 ohm sub for sale used for one summer and a JL Audio amp 600/ 1V2 if your interested. Also have a Wetsounds Syn4. Shoot me a PM if your interested in any of the equipment. 

Wouldn't the Syn 4 be under powered for my four Rev 8's? It would only be 125 watts per channel, whereas the Rev 8's are 200 RMS and I've heard they really like around 300 RMS.

Link to post
3 hours ago, DaDeuce said:

Don't necessarily want a new head unit, however there is some buzz in the system using the stock one. From my research on here, it sounds like this is a common problem with the stock unit that is difficult to eliminate. I'd like to design my upgrades in a way that lets me flex if I want to add the additional stuff in the future. I'm not sure how much I'll actually use the sport knob (didn't have one in the 2006), so I'm not sure if I want to just yank it right out. I understand that by adding a head unit that I would eliminate the ability for the knob to control volume or track, but I'm thinking I may still use the speed, wedge, and surf gate controls.

Honesty, I’d upgrade your amps and speakers of your choice (and be sure to make sure there there are no power wires near rca cables, make sure there’s no corrosion in any speaker wire) and if buzzing persists you could replace HU. I had to replace whole wetsounds HTX-6 amp due to buzzing. Turns out some water got in and fried it. 

Link to post
2 hours ago, DaDeuce said:

Wouldn't the Syn 4 be under powered for my four Rev 8's? It would only be 125 watts per channel, whereas the Rev 8's are 200 RMS and I've heard they really like around 300 RMS.

Yes it will be. Syn 4 is best for in boat speakers or two rev10s. Stick with the 2.3 for the towers. 
 

I use a 2.3 for 4 icon 8s. 

Link to post
7 hours ago, DaDeuce said:

Don't necessarily want a new head unit, however there is some buzz in the system using the stock one. From my research on here, it sounds like this is a common problem with the stock unit that is difficult to eliminate. I'd like to design my upgrades in a way that lets me flex if I want to add the additional stuff in the future. I'm not sure how much I'll actually use the sport knob (didn't have one in the 2006), so I'm not sure if I want to just yank it right out. I understand that by adding a head unit that I would eliminate the ability for the knob to control volume or track, but I'm thinking I may still use the speed, wedge, and surf gate controls.

FWIW I only use the sport knob for volume and skipping tracks.  I’ve always used the touch screen for speed/wedge/surfgate adjustments.  If a head unit was there instead, I wouldn’t miss it.

Link to post
2 hours ago, t a said:

FWIW I only use the sport knob for volume and skipping tracks.  I’ve always used the touch screen for speed/wedge/surfgate adjustments.  If a head unit was there instead, I wouldn’t miss it.

Yeah, that was Slurpee's opinion too (his build replaces the sport knob for a nice head unit). Just not sure that I want to make that assumption without having ever used it. On the flip side I haven't ever used it, so I may never miss it, lol

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...