Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu m6 rusting

spikew919

9 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Seems really strange since an M6Di has an aluminum block ;)

What exactly is rusting?

Where he described I’m Gona say the exhaust manifold, heat exchanger area. Around the spark plug boots amd bolts there is his words. He is not mechanically inclined. Nor is he on Facebook. He is ticked with his new 23mxz but already in limp mode due to impeller issue. He bought in Texas and local dealer which is 3 hrs from him. Won’t touch it 🤦🏻‍♂️

26 minutes ago, spikew919 said:

Where he described I’m Gona say the exhaust manifold, heat exchanger area. Around the spark plug boots amd bolts there is his words. He is not mechanically inclined. Nor is he on Facebook. He is ticked with his new 23mxz but already in limp mode due to impeller issue. He bought in Texas and local dealer which is 3 hrs from him. Won’t touch it 🤦🏻‍♂️

I guess it wouldn't surprise me much if the paint cooked off the exhaust manifolds in a boat where the impeller failed (and the manifolds got hot)

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV

Just a guess, but it overheat occurred because of failed impeller and the paint burnt off the exhaust manifolds that could have lead to the rust. 

There is also a service bulletin out there for a check valve to fix a water flow issue to the manifolds from what I understand. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, spikew919 said:

Legally they cant refuse to do warranty work. But if he bought out of territory he may be put at the back of the line.

• Like 2

M6 is based on the LS all aluminum series engine, as noted above aluminum block, cylinder heads, pan and plastic intake.  I assume that Malibu uses aluminum exhaust manifolds but would need that verified.  All the fasteners should be stainless.  As noted pictures would help but the best course of action would be to contact the dealer or Malibu direct to get feedback on the issue.  The ones, and a small sample size, appear to have a good paint job to minimize corrosion although just looking at a new boat so can't really be of help on one with hours.

1 minute ago, COOP said:

The manifolds are cast iron.

Yep and the fasteners are not SS on my M5. Not complaining its a boat and rust happens. I typically use a liberal amount of a water displacement spray on these points to keep it at bay. The M5 seems to have a better paint/coating than my Monsoon did.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, boardjnky4 said:

Would be interested in seeing pictures. As stated, the block and heads are aluminum. Sounds like an issue with the coating on the manifolds and bolts. Paint must be flaking off.

He posted photos and a video on the Malibu owners Facebook page. 

15 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

What is this Facebook that you speak of?

It is that thing that sucks your life away, and it is multiplying.  

• Like 3

He hasn’t posted pics. He doesn’t have Facebook. He bought boat from a friend that works for a dealer In Texas, was a lefty over 2020. The issue is the closest dealer to him stated they didn’t sale it they won’t touch it. I told him to take picks send to his dealer where he bought and send to Malibu themselves. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

that being said I have seen the pics on Facebook. And think that was an M5 in an Axis boat I believe.  And looked like a bad prep before paint job. And the bolt heads were rusting also.  

Don’t have a dog in either hunt. My friend asked if it was normal. So I made post to find out if everyone’s is rusting in those areas. 

7 minutes ago, spikew919 said:

He hasn’t posted pics. He doesn’t have Facebook. He bought boat from a friend that works for a dealer In Texas, was a lefty over 2020. The issue is the closest dealer to him stated they didn’t sale it they won’t touch it. I told him to take picks send to his dealer where he bought and send to Malibu themselves. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

that being said I have seen the pics on Facebook. And think that was an M5 in an Axis boat I believe.  And looked like a bad prep before paint job. And the bolt heads were rusting also.  

Don’t have a dog in either hunt. My friend asked if it was normal. So I made post to find out if everyone’s is rusting in those areas. 

Got it. sorry about that, figured it was the same boat.

4 minutes ago, gregtay said:

Got it. sorry about that, figured it was the same boat.

It’s all good. Just hate it for my buddy. He did change his own impeller and will be back on the water this weekend. Told him to buy a couple extras if they are Gona need replacing every 25 hrs 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

He said impeller looked new except 2 veins were gone.