Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dealer Discount - Negotiation


Recommended Posts

I have been receiving quotes on 2020 Malibu's, and the quote will list a 20-30% dealer discount before listing the selling price. Then I got a quote on a 2021, and it was shown the same way.

My question is...can I negotiate down even more? They are giving these "dealer discounts" without any negotiation so it feels like they list it this way to make you think you are already getting a deal. 

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

 

 

Link to post

You can try to negotiate.  It is a sellers market now and will be for a while.  Discounts of 25% and a little more is pretty good.  Try ordering a boat, see what pricing they give you on that approach, probably much the same.

 

Link to post

Dealers are in no panic to sell boats right now. Build slots for 2021 are selling out fast, so with little inventory to be had discounts that normally interest buyers are not necessary. 

Link to post

You should be aware that MSRP prices are often fabricated.  Your dealer can magically increase MSRP by 10%, then give you a 10% extra discount to make you feel good.  

My approach is to ask for money off, maybe point out why I would be a good customer, how I would try and tell all my friends how much I like the boat and dealer and then decide if I like the price.  If I like it, I buy it and enjoy the boat without looking back and saying 'What if?'.    If I don't like it, I walk.  Walking is my biggest negotiating tool, but unfortunately, dealers are in the driver's seat on this thing right now.  The dealers are nice right now, but when a customer says they are going to walk, they politely look over your shoulder and say 'Next!' 

Link to post
41 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

You should be aware that MSRP prices are often fabricated.  Your dealer can magically increase MSRP by 10%, then give you a 10% extra discount to make you feel good.  

This is illegal. 

Title 16 → Chapter I → Subchapter B → Part 233 → §233.3

Link to post

It would be illegal IF Malibu posted or had a set MSRP, but they don't. MSRP on the boat and the options does in fact vary from dealer to dealer on pricing sheets.

Edited by tjklein
Link to post
13 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

Our local dealer is having their in-house boat show now. Should I get prices for anyone? Let me know if that is kosher to do and post here.

Steve B.

Yes! Post all pricing on all models. Your dealer will LOVE you for this. :lol:

  • Haha 2
Link to post
2 hours ago, IXFE said:

Yes! Post all pricing on all models. Your dealer will LOVE you for this. :lol:

Haha,

I will get prices, but only send them PM to folks who ask. I will tell the dealer. If they frown on it I wont. But, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they say have at it.

Steve B. 

Link to post
4 hours ago, tjklein said:

It would be illegal IF Malibu posted or had a set MSRP, but they don't. MSRP on the boat and the options does in fact vary from dealer to dealer on pricing sheets.

Ah... but they do.  See https://www.waterworldmedford.com/malibu-boats-for-sale-medford-or--xallinventory?make=malibu boats#page=xallinventory&make=malibu boats as an example.  I guess one could argue that the dealer in the example is making stuff up, but that then becomes a deceptive trade practice in my read of Title 16.  And I am not picking on that one dealer:  a Google search will revela others listing MSRP.

Link to post
3 hours ago, Steve B. said:

Our local dealer is having their in-house boat show now. Should I get prices for anyone? Let me know if that is kosher to do and post here.

Steve B.

Unless someone wants to/can buy out of market area, the prices are not much good as a negotiating tool.

Link to post
3 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Ah... but they do.  See https://www.waterworldmedford.com/malibu-boats-for-sale-medford-or--xallinventory?make=malibu boats#page=xallinventory&make=malibu boats as an example.  I guess one could argue that the dealer in the example is making stuff up, but that then becomes a deceptive trade practice in my read of Title 16.  And I am not picking on that one dealer:  a Google search will revela others listing MSRP.

MSRP varies from dealer to dealer. I 2020 and 2021 price sheets from multiple dealers and none of them are the same. (top Malibu dealers in US) No set MSRP directly from Malibu.

Addition...note that the MSRPs listed by dealers is similar, but not the same. It's an odd deal, however it makes sense in some ways. 

 

 

Edited by tjklein
Link to post
1 hour ago, tjklein said:

MSRP varies from dealer to dealer. I 2020 and 2021 price sheets from multiple dealers and none of them are the same. (top Malibu dealers in US) No set MSRP directly from Malibu.

Addition...note that the MSRPs listed by dealers is similar, but not the same. It's an odd deal, however it makes sense in some ways. 

 

 

That’s different than my experience for some reason. The MSRP’s from my dealer each year match up exactly to many other build sheets I see posted here as well as the MSRP’s for various individual options that get discussed. I usually save early build sheets from others posted here and use those to build my own pricing out before even talking to my dealer.

Not saying you’re wrong in the sample of dealers you’re working from since I know you’re a repeat buyer, or that I haven’t missed some inconsistencies, but by and large I feel that MSRP’s are consistent among most dealers. Guess we can narrow down the ones that aren’t pretty quickly though with this group. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
9 hours ago, Sixer said:

Is this not valid??  274474853_202123LSVbuildsheet.thumb.JPG.

I guess it depends on date.  What was the date of this build sheet and was an order placed from it?  If so, when was the order placed?

 

I just ordered a '21 23LSV and the MSRP is different than what's shown here.  I believe there was a mid season increase in price because earlier in the year I was quoted the same MSRP as what's shown here.  I believe there were also changes to some of the pricing options.  

Link to post

I found that the difference in MSRP. Was dealer add ons. Which I take to be prep and equipment. If they fill that 87 gallon tank,  Then they have to charge for it. I am amazed at what I see for the cost of dealer add ons. As I had all equipment, paddles, 18 vests, 😳. And such. All I had for dealer add ons was prep. 

Edited by Sparky450
Link to post
2 hours ago, Slayer said:

I guess it depends on date.  What was the date of this build sheet and was an order placed from it?  If so, when was the order placed?

 

I just ordered a '21 23LSV and the MSRP is different than what's shown here.  I believe there was a mid season increase in price because earlier in the year I was quoted the same MSRP as what's shown here.  I believe there were also changes to some of the pricing options.  

FWIW, the MSRP above matches a screen grabbed build sheet someone posted here back on July 27th and it matches my own current build sheet that I got last month.

Dealer prep will vary from every dealer though.

Link to post

So that pricing list was taken from this post by @NWBU

@tjklein

I have noticed from my "local" dealer (which may be the same as yours), that some of the pricing options are different from what is listed on that sheet.  I also have some old pricing sheets from them with multiple different prices depending on how they option it out and discount it.  It's odd to me that they have the ability to change out like that.  So I ended up doing a build from a dealer a few hours away and basically asked to get "X" percent off MSRP across the entire build and they used the exact same pricing as is listed above by NWBU.  I'm not sure how the MSRP prices are exactly the same at some dealers in the Midwest and out West, but at some places (the local one) they have changed a few of the option prices.  When I asked for a price quote from the local place, they wouldn't give me a consistent "X" percent off across the board.  It was a range of about 7-25% off MSRP on most options, and zero off other options.  Ended up being an overall much higher price.  

Edited by Sixer
Link to post
5 minutes ago, NWBU said:

FWIW, the MSRP above matches a screen grabbed build sheet someone posted here back on July 27th and it matches my own current build sheet that I got last month.

Dealer prep will vary from every dealer though.

Interesting.  The Boat MSRP of $121,317 is different than that which I received last week.  Mine reflected $123,440.  You are correct about dealer prep.  

Link to post
4 minutes ago, Slayer said:

Interesting.  The Boat MSRP of $121,317 is different than that which I received last week.  Mine reflected $123,440.  You are correct about dealer prep.  

So I wonder if a few of the items listed as "options" are put in as standard in that price.  I've seen quotes swing differently that way as well.  They say the "base" boat price is X, and that changes depending on what options they include as standard.  A sneaky way to change around the pricing in my opinion.  

 

Edit:  Or maybe it just does depend on time of year when order is placed.......

Edited by Sixer
Link to post
4 minutes ago, Sixer said:

So I wonder if a few of the items listed as "options" are put in as standard in that price.  I've seen quotes swing differently that way as well.  They say the "base" boat price is X, and that changes depending on what options they include as standard.  A sneaky way to change around the pricing in my opinion.  

 

Edit:  Or maybe it just does depend on time of year when order is placed.......

That or a mid-cycle increase.  Again, I found this to be true of a couple of options as well.  One of which being the wakeview bench.  What's shown above is $2824 and what's on my build sheet is $3830.  

Link to post
18 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

By definition, MSRP  _IS_ Malibu's set price.  At least it is being advertized as such, and again - contrary to Title 16.

I guess that is the M in MSRP.    I wonder how far it would get in court.  I suspect not very far.  

Link to post
27 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

By definition, MSRP  _IS_ Malibu's set price.  At least it is being advertized as such, and again - contrary to Title 16.

But Malibu directly has never published an MSRP to my knowledge.  What you posted is simply what one dealer is showing.  It's not from the factory, or Malibu direct.  So, to @TallRedRider point, I don't see this holding up in court.  I'm no lawyer, but I would say something entirely different if you could get an MSRP off Malibu's site.  

Link to post

Somewhat of a side note, I noticed a few months ago Nebraska furniture mart dropped the “M” from MSRP from all their advertising and store here in Kansas. Wonder if they got in trouble for making up their prices and saying it’s from the manufacturer. Seems to loss a good amount to credibility when they say the “suggested retail price” Instead.... who’s suggesting it... them?

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...