Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

UFP Tongue Lock - Heavy Duty (off site storage)

Murphy8166

Looking to see what folks are using for a UFP style hitch lock.  I am going to be storing my trailer outside this season and want to make sure that it is secure.  There are not many options and I want more that just the 1/4" pin / lock you can buy.  The UFP hitch has the flat front versus the rounded style that many of the lock seem to me made for.

This is what I have found so far and it's pricey.  What else are people using with success?

https://besttrailerlocks.com/products/model-2178-u-fits-2-ufp-square-couplers

https://www.amazon.com/UFP-boat-coupler-lock-Security/dp/B075MS3BSQ

Take the wheels off and take them home with you, and take the coupler bolt out of the swing away tongue.   Thats cheaper than a lock.  :love:

the besttrailerlock one looks interesting but anyone determined to take the boat is going to defeat the other tongue coupler lock especailly given how good the battery powered grinders are these days. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, asnowman said:

defeat the other tongue coupler lock especailly given how good the battery powered grinders are these days. 

I could drill out that cylinder in 60 seconds.  If someone really wants it, they will get it.  If your offsite is not that secure, other than finding a more secure place, consider a Lo-jack system or other tracker.

29 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

I could drill out that cylinder in 60 seconds.  If someone really wants it, they will get it.  If your offsite is not that secure, other than finding a more secure place, consider a Lo-jack system or other tracker.

If the wheels are missing, it may also make it look like its already been hit, so no point in wasting time on it.

5 minutes ago, asnowman said:

If the wheels are missing, it may also make it look like its already been hit, so no point in wasting time on it.

There was a surf boat stolen up here last spring where they just dragged it onto a flat deck. No fussing with locks in the field.

My facility is safe.  Guard lives in premise an over 42 cameras.  Boat will be on a slip on the water and just wanting to keep trailer as safe as I can.

im going to order to Fort Knox one tomorrow.  Will let you know how I like it.

• Like 2

Eons ago, I sold a 17 ft IO. My first boat.. we got permission from a property owner and parked it at his place (for about a month). I pulled all 4 wheels off. Got a lot of funny looks and questions for what was obvious to me. The boat did not get stolen and we did sell the boat.