Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What prop is on your boat???

604wakesurf

Hey I'm curious what people have on the boats for factory installed props.

My boat is a 2018 21 VLX with a OJ 948 prop and has had bad porpoising issues for day one. Recently my dealer took out a boat (22 ft) and had the same issues. They swapped the prop and issues went away.

What do people have on their boats, apparently Mailbu will swap my prop to a 945 or 950.

If someone has the same boat as mine I sure would like to know what they have!!

2018 21VLX with the 410 raptor in it

Thanks

1 hour ago, granddaddy55 said:

with bimini and no bow weight?

Didn't matter how boat was set up. Anything around 32mph and up it would start to hop like a jack rabbit. I just didn't try and go fast anymore. Kinda learned to live with it.

But now that there might be a simple solution I would like to know more on what other peoples props are.

1 hour ago, 18vlxguy said:

Didn't matter how boat was set up. Anything around 32mph and up it would start to hop like a jack rabbit. I just didn't try and go fast anymore. Kinda learned to live with it.

But now that there might be a simple solution I would like to know more on what other peoples props are.

200 lead solved my 20 footer 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, 18vlxguy said:

So you had a similar problem.

What is your prop? Trying to gather some info

it wasnt a prop issue , happened with my 1235 acme but i didnt have lead in bow , same prop add lead, problem gone, now run a 2315

7 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

On our 2020 20VTX we have the OJ950 and don’t have any issues. Butter smooth through the whole throttle curve. 

Seems like the 950 has a different cup and pitch, the 945 and 948 have the same cup but different pitch.

What exactly does cup do? 

Right now I'm leaning towards the 950.

Thanks 

ahopkins22LSV
7 minutes ago, 18vlxguy said:

Seems like the 950 has a different cup and pitch, the 945 and 948 have the same cup but different pitch.

Right now I'm leaning towards the 950.

Thanks 

To be honest, I am not sure. When we ordered our boat, the factory said this would be the best setup for skiing and surfing. I have to agree with them because it does both very very well and efficiently.

4 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

To be honest, I am not sure. When we ordered our boat, the factory said this would be the best setup for skiing and surfing. I have to agree with them because it does both very very well and efficiently.

What's your top speed?

Hoping some others will chime in on what's on their boats too

We were running an Acme 2277 on our 2017 22VLX.  It did great for us.  

EDIT:  The only time we had an issue with porpoising unless we were still loaded and draining while running.  Never an issue unloaded. 

Edited by Slayer
22 hours ago, 18vlxguy said:

My boat is a 2018 21 VLX with a OJ 948 prop and has had bad porpoising issues for day one. Recently my dealer took out a boat (22 ft) and had the same issues. They swapped the prop and issues went away.

What do people have on their boats, apparently Mailbu will swap my prop to a 945 or 950.

Thanks

Not sure how a prop would fix porpoising, the angle of thrust is set and cannot be changed. Adding bow weight would change thrust angle and reduce the porpoising. 

Our boat came with the ACME 2249 (15x14.25). 409 is our engine and tranny is 1.72:1.

We run at sea level and don't have too much extra weight above factory ballast and PNP, so we switched to the ACME 2279 (15x15.75) and it's just fine (surf 40%/wakeboard 40%/tube 10%/cruise 10%) and improved our fuel economy based on our use. If we head to slightly higher elevations (1500-2000') and expect to have a big crew up there, we run the 2249.

Maybe explore the OJ V4 series? Somewhere on here there was some positive feedback about those. https://www.ojprops.com/products/wakepro-v4/

Edited by formerathlete
3 hours ago, 18vlxguy said:

My understanding is that more cup is almost like an increase in pitch. For example...the only difference between the Acme 2277 and 2279 is that the 2277 has more cup (.105 vs .150)...so it's slightly more of a speed prop than the 2279. Same goes for the 2247 vs 2249. Hopefully that makes sense...same concept would apply to OJ props, etc. I've seen someone post on here that a 15x14.25 prop with a .150 cup (2247) is almost like having a 15x15.25 pitch prop, as compared to the 15x14.25 .105 (2249) prop. Not sure that's the case but you get the idea. I can't find the post I'm referring to, sorry.

Edited by formerathlete
4 hours ago, kerpluxal said:

Not sure how a prop would fix porpoising, the angle of thrust is set and cannot be changed. Adding bow weight would change thrust angle and reduce the porpoising. 

I agree but like I said the dealer experienced this on one of their personal boats and swapping the prop change how it handled.

They called malibu saying in may be the wrong prop and they have agreed to get me a new OJ

4 hours ago, formerathlete said:

My understanding is that more cup is almost like an increase in pitch. For example...the only difference between the Acme 2277 and 2279 is that the 2277 has more cup (.105 vs .150)...so it's slightly more of a speed prop than the 2279. Same goes for the 2247 vs 2249. Hopefully that makes sense...same concept would apply to OJ props, etc. I've seen someone post on here that a 15x14.25 prop with a .150 cup (2247) is almost like having a 15x15.25 pitch prop, as compared to the 15x14.25 .105 (2249) prop. Not sure that's the case but you get the idea. I can't find the post I'm referring to, sorry.

The 948 (what's on my boat) is a 15X14 with a .120 cup

So going to a 945 15X13 with a .120 cup or 950  15X13 with a .130 cup I will decrease top speed and raise the rpm and lower speeds? (burn more fuel)does that sound right

ahopkins22LSV

I could see a prop that is too “torque-y” on a short boat causing it. It could be pushing the bow down too much and the hull pushing back creating lift and then over and over. It will be interesting to find out. @18vlxguy can you try to test with the new prop with the exact setup that gave you porpoising? 

On 11/5/2020 at 6:27 PM, 18vlxguy said:

Thanks

Did your dealer work with Malibu on a possible swap?

i ordered the 2249 and got an oj 948 which really cranks the rpms. I’m sure the 2249 would do the same but will probably buy a 2277 next summer. 

17 hours ago, 18vlxguy said:

So going to a 945 15X13 with a .120 cup or 950  15X13 with a .130 cup I will decrease top speed and raise the rpm and lower speeds? (burn more fuel)does that sound right

Yes, that is correct. It likely won’t be a huge difference but you will lose a bit off the top end and gain more on the low end. And you’ll see higher RPM’s. 
The difference between the 945 and 950 will be negligible and probably not noticeable. .120 vs .130 cup is not much of a difference. In theory, the prop with the .130 cup would have more top end/lower RPM than the prop with the .120. But it likely won’t even be noticeable (there’s barely a noticeable difference between .105 and .150). 

Edited by formerathlete
13 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I could see a prop that is too “torque-y” on a short boat causing it. It could be pushing the bow down too much and the hull pushing back creating lift and then over and over. It will be interesting to find out. @18vlxguy can you try to test with the new prop with the exact setup that gave you porpoising? 

Yes for sure I can duplicate the set up. Happen anytime I went over 32ish MPH. I'm curious if this will solve it. Your explanation there seems like it could be plausible.

12 hours ago, SouthsideBoarder said:

Did your dealer work with Malibu on a possible swap?

i ordered the 2249 and got an oj 948 which really cranks the rpms. I’m sure the 2249 would do the same but will probably buy a 2277 next summer. 

I think they did. I haven't directly talked to the dealer yet about this only through email. I will be stopping by there Monday morning.

I was going to get the 2277 before I was told this could be covered under warranty. My dealer is great to work with. The boat is currently there getting a FAE installed and trouble shooting a smoking issue

5 hours ago, formerathlete said:

Yes, that is correct. It likely won’t be a huge difference but you will lose a bit off the top end and gain more on the low end. And you’ll see higher RPM’s. 
The difference between the 945 and 950 will be negligible and probably not noticeable. .120 vs .130 cup is not much of a difference. In theory, the prop with the .130 cup would have more top end/lower RPM than the prop with the .120. But it likely won’t even be noticeable (there’s barely a noticeable difference between .105 and .150). 

Makes sense. Thanks