Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wrong Engine options ( 1 year extended warranty on engine or new boat

Bigfish0230

So having been dealing with Malibu installing different engine than what was ordered on my 2020 23 LSV I have bene offered two alternatives. 

#1 extend the warranty for 1 year on just the Monsoon 450 6.2 L HO engine and winterize my boat ( I have about 40 hours on my boat)

#2 Brand new boat 2021 with M5di engine ( would automatically get the extra year on this because its 1 year newer. however I would have to pay the make ready fee, about $3500 plus the price difference in model year  maybe another 3-4K ( although If I wsn't in the wrong not sure about this one.

Which would you choose

Just trying to get people's input as what might be the best choice as I'm not super familiar with these engines, other than reading the Ford has more power but has known issues with Catalytic converters

ahopkins22LSV

I’d take the extra year of warranty and be done with it. Like was explained in the other thread, your dealer most likely dropped the ball on communication so for Malibu to offer an additional year of warranty is pretty good imo. The engine is an upgrade in power and torque and all of the catalytic issues I’ve seen were on 2017 engines. 

• Like 3

Can you pay a make ready fee plus the M6 upgrade price for the new LSV? Just kidding....sort of.  

But between the two options you have, keep your boat and enjoy the heck out of it!

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

right if you could get the M6 instead of M5 for the (dealer) cost of the engine upgrade, THAT would totally be worth it.

If they hadn’t already done you a favor with a free upgrade, that’s the angle I would play too. Still might, since 2021 is also the refreshed hull, if that factors into your decision. But to just pay more to get the M5 - hard pass.

2021 23 LSV

M6DI

- you get the 6.2L (only it’s direct injection, quieter, and more efficient)

- you get the extra year of warranty 

- you get the new model (ie walk thru, et al)

- and you “get” to change your impeller every week! 

You’re welcome!

Jokes aside... you could really squeeze your dealer for a 2021 since they feel like they owe you one. 

• Like 2

So I might be in the minority here, but I've never been a fan of the Raptor engine.  Too loud, and that was supposed to be the motor for 16-19.  Yeah it has good torque, but with all the hype of the M5/M6 and how quiet they are, I would push your dealer a bit and get a 2021 with an M6.  Maybe it costs you a little but personally I love the new 21 LSV and wouldn't want an "oddball" 2020 that has the Raptor.  Hopefully the impeller issue would be fixed by the time you get a new one....Just my 2 cents.

The Raptor engine gets a bad rap because it is louder due to higher RPM's at surf speed.  The '17 and '18 models had the insulation around the engine compartment increased and I didn't think they were bad at all.  We have a 2020 with the M6 and surf RPM's are right around 3500 with all ballast and sacks full and wedge at 3 or 4 up from lift.  We love the M6 for how quiet it is but it does seem thirsty!

1 hour ago, JWBeav said:

The Raptor engine gets a bad rap because it is louder due to higher RPM's at surf speed.  The '17 and '18 models had the insulation around the engine compartment increased and I didn't think they were bad at all.  We have a 2020 with the M6 and surf RPM's are right around 3500 with all ballast and sacks full and wedge at 3 or 4 up from lift.  We love the M6 for how quiet it is but it does seem thirsty!

Get the speed prop (2805) and your RPM’s will drop to 3100. Your gas bill will drop too 

#2 all day.  The walk thru for the win!  And I think there is room to negotiate to make you feel good about this.  that was the opening offer in all the added fees.  

If your dealer would give you the 2021 with the M6, I'd do it in a minute.  Otherwise, being offered another year of warranty on the 6.2 isn't a bad thing at all.  It's a great engine despite the minor issues and the noise.  We just ordered a 2021 and did so with the M6 and standard prop.  We'll be ordering the speed prop from Wakemakers and will be using the standard prop as a back up.  Listen to @IXFE on this.  I was shocked to see the RPM he was turning in his 25 LSV with the speed prop.  He knows well of what he speaks.

Get in writing that the extra year of warranty is fully transferable.  This will help offset a market value hit (if any) from having a "one off" engine for that model year.

52 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Get in writing that the extra year of warranty is fully transferable.  This will help offset a market value hit (if any) from having a "one off" engine for that model year.

I would also make sure that your dealer will cover cost of warranty transfer on that engine. If you had the M6 it wouldn’t cost you/or the buyer money with transferring the warranty to the next owner. Could become small sticking point in the sale of your boat. Just a thought...

I'd work the angle to get the 2021 with M6.  If they are willing to build you an entire new boat, I bet they'll be happy to sell you an upgrade going from M5-M6.  Best of both worlds.  

I think your dealer is bending over for you and doing you a solid.   They accidentally gave you a more powerful engine and are still working to 'make it right'.  That is above and beyond.  

The M6 is usually a 5K upgrade.  If I could trade up a year and pay 5K for the M6, and the $3500 fee, I would be all over it.  You will get the money back in the resale.  

I think getting the new boat with the M5 would be a bad decision.  Regardless of whether it is true, it is getting the reputation for being underpowered, which will hurt resale, at least for any buyer who knows how to do an internet search.  

• Like 4

Update to my situation. I have contacted Malibu and they said they had notified my Dealer about the Engine change. My dealer denies being notified. And  does not want to offer me the new boat.

However. I was reviewing the paperwork. I signed off and ordered my boat with the Monsoon new engine in January. On the delivery paperwork someone had manually went in and changed the model and make of the engine. So they were aware of the change. But the real kicker is the changed engine on the delivery paperwork isn't even the engine in my boat! The Hull number states a different engine entirely, and verified by Malibu. In looking at the paperwork, and manual of indmar The dealer has 10 days to register the engine for warranty or it is void, so I am not even sure my engine is registered with Indmar, thus voiding the warranty??  Is there a place online to look up the engine serial number listed on my paperwork with what is in my boat to see what the heck is going on??

To me the big sticking point now is I feel my Dealer is not being honest with me, And really doesnt want to do anything. Maybe this seems like a small point but this was not a small expense for me and isn't what I ordered. 

Thoughts?  Thanks for all of your help

On 11/4/2020 at 3:29 PM, Bigfish0230 said:

So having been dealing with Malibu installing different engine than what was ordered on my 2020 23 LSV I have bene offered two alternatives. 

#1 extend the warranty for 1 year on just the Monsoon 450 6.2 L HO engine and winterize my boat ( I have about 40 hours on my boat)

#2 Brand new boat 2021 with M5di engine ( would automatically get the extra year on this because its 1 year newer. however I would have to pay the make ready fee, about $3500 plus the price difference in model year  maybe another 3-4K ( although If I wsn't in the wrong not sure about this one.

Which would you choose

Just trying to get people's input as what might be the best choice as I'm not super familiar with these engines, other than reading the Ford has more power but has known issues with Catalytic converters

1 hour ago, Bigfish0230 said:

Update to my situation. I have contacted Malibu and they said they had notified my Dealer about the Engine change. My dealer denies being notified. And  does not want to offer me the new boat.

However. I was reviewing the paperwork. I signed off and ordered my boat with the Monsoon new engine in January. On the delivery paperwork someone had manually went in and changed the model and make of the engine. So they were aware of the change. But the real kicker is the changed engine on the delivery paperwork isn't even the engine in my boat! The Hull number states a different engine entirely, and verified by Malibu. In looking at the paperwork, and manual of indmar The dealer has 10 days to register the engine for warranty or it is void, so I am not even sure my engine is registered with Indmar, thus voiding the warranty??  Is there a place online to look up the engine serial number listed on my paperwork with what is in my boat to see what the heck is going on??

To me the big sticking point now is I feel my Dealer is not being honest with me, And really doesnt want to do anything. Maybe this seems like a small point but this was not a small expense for me and isn't what I ordered. 

Thoughts?  Thanks for all of your help

Please clarify.  You ordered the boat with the Monsoon engine, and that is what you got?  You said initially that you ordered the M5Di.  

The delivery paperwork says you got the M5Di?  I am sorry that I am a little slow.  

And the hull ID number has the letter that indicates the boat has the M5Di?  

Is it possible that the dealer did an engine swap to please another customer?  

Sorry for the confusion.

1. My order contract was signed for a M5Di 

2. ( I just noticed this was changed ) My paperwork upon  delivery Had this changed to a monsoon 410 with serial number ( dealer states Malibu did notify them) strange how someone had to change the signed paperwork contract for delivery.  This was the exact signed agreement with change on engine. 
3. Actual engine in boat is a Monsoon 450.  

16 minutes ago, Bigfish0230 said:

Sorry for the confusion.

1. My order contract was signed for a M5Di 

2. ( I just noticed this was changed ) My paperwork upon  delivery Had this changed to a monsoon 410 with serial number ( dealer states Malibu did notify them) strange how someone had to change the signed paperwork contract for delivery.  This was the exact signed agreement with change on engine. 
3. Actual engine in boat is a Monsoon 450.  

You do realize you received a more expensive engine option for free??? If I was your dealer, I’d tell you to pound sand and be happy with the FREE engine upgrade. Either they or Malibu ate the upcharge cost. If you had ordered an m6 and received an m5, it would be another story. 

Thank you for your input. I’m not trying to be troublesome,   I’m not familiar with how boats, engines work and resale, this is my first boat and previously haven’t been around then. . When looking at boats I was Presented and sold that the new Malibu engine was a better, and quieter engine. Then suddenly I receive one that isn’t Even an option on the actual upgrade sheet. So is this engine a New engine or a new older engine?

Hopefully you can imagine my concern. Also that perhaps this engine wasn’t even registered with Inmar which in looking at their site it states dealers must register engine within 10 days or warranty is void.  
Regardless the dealer should be honest   

ahopkins22LSV
6 hours ago, Bigfish0230 said:

Thank you for your input. I’m not trying to be troublesome,   I’m not familiar with how boats, engines work and resale, this is my first boat and previously haven’t been around then. . When looking at boats I was Presented and sold that the new Malibu engine was a better, and quieter engine. Then suddenly I receive one that isn’t Even an option on the actual upgrade sheet. So is this engine a New engine or a new older engine?

Hopefully you can imagine my concern. Also that perhaps this engine wasn’t even registered with Inmar which in looking at their site it states dealers must register engine within 10 days or warranty is void.  
Regardless the dealer should be honest   

It’s a new engine. It’s still being used by Indmar who is a supplier of marine engines to boat manufactures. They supplied Malibu for decades. Only in the last two years did Malibu start marinizing their own engines in house. Indmar gets the engines from Ford, both are are still producing the engines today. Like we said Malibu had to use Ford/Indmar engines at the end of calendar year 2019, beginning of model year 2020’s because of the UAW strike at GM. They were not able to get GM engines for a few weeks. Might have even been a few months, I don’t recall exactly. 

Your boat was ordered the the Malibu GM engine, strike happened, Malibu swapped to Ford/Indmar, your dealer was notified - this wasn’t just one or two boats. Monsoon is the engine name the Malibu uses on their engines whether they are buying them from Indmar, PCM or marinizing or hem in house. Search a 2006 Response LXi, it will most likely have a Monsoon 340 in it. Which is a 5.7l GM small block from Indmar. Search a 2016 23LSV. It will probably have a Monsoon 410 in it. Which is a 6.2l Ford Raptor from Indmar. Search a 2019 20VTX. It will probably have a Monsoon 409 in it. Which is a 6.0l GM from PCM Crusader Challenger. I think you’ll get my point here?

I 100% get your frustration with your dealer but I wouldn’t be concerned about the engine. If your dealer isn’t playing nice take the extended warranty that Malibu offered and work with them to ensure it’s registered. 

Yep, we led you down the potential new boat and M6 option when we thought the dealer was ready to get a new boat on order.  But I would put that idea to rest now.  I get your frustration but I think 99% of folks on this board would take your engine over the M5 in your boat.   It sucks you weren’t notified, but had your dealer called at the time and said “hey, because of the strike we want to give you a free engine upgrade” you probably would have been ecstatic.  

And as others have pointed out, Ford is still making that 6.2L block, Indmar is still marinizing it, and it is used by others like Supra.