Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wedge Replacement Parts

TahoeScott

Hi - I have a 2007 LSV23. My wedge is stuck mid-way and my mechanic is saying it's likely an actuator / ram issue, but that they no longer sell individual parts...you have to buy whole kit and it will run around $1700. I understand what the actuator is....what is the ram(s)? Can you buy these parts independently. Can you use the same switch on the dash or do you need a new one.

Thx

Your mechanic is mistaken. The term “ram” is interchangeable with actuator and you can definitely buy those parts still for much less than $1700. They may be referring to the old 3-lobe actuators vs the current 5-lobe versions but I’ve replaced the actuators on my old 2007 VLX and current 2011 LSV and bought my parts from bakesonline. Searching these boards will get you all the info you need to do the job yourself if you’re interested in saving some money. Good luck!

https://www.bakesonline.com/power-wedge-actuator-5-lobe-malibu-boats.html

Statefan - Thank you very much! I got clarification from the mechanic - he said Rams work and power is going to control box, but control box not functioning. I can't seem to find control box on Bakes....do you have a link. Thx

So the control box is a different story. I mentioned the 3-lobe vs 5-lobe actuators as that part was updated by Lenco and you can’t buy the old 3-lobe versions anymore. There’s some folks who have had issues when upgrading their actuators to the 5-lobe and their control box no longer functions properly. Personally, I have replaced the actuators on 2 boats now and my new 5-lobe actuators worked fine with my old 3-lobe control box. The problems some have had relate to the dash gauge for the wedge position not working properly. The problem with the control box is Lenco doesn’t widely produce them anymore but they will make them specifically for Malibu and you will pay a lot for it because of that. If you have the model number for your existing control box you can cross reference it on the chart linked below for the newer version and search for one online. You can also email Bakes directly as I know they can get you the control box for a little cheaper even though it may not show up on their site. All that being said, I don’t know that I’ve ever seen a control box fail when the actuators worked perfectly fine. Do you know if your actuators are original to the boat or have they been replaced before?

Ski_Boat_5_Lobe_Actuator_Upgrade_Convers

Thx. I've owned boat most of it's life....so I don't think they have ever been replaced. We use the wedge a few times a year, but you're right - I would have assume they would have failed by now. Your conversion chart link doesn't work....can you re-post or just send to me in email: [email protected]. I assume the control box sit behind the wedge switch or is it back by the transom?

Thx again,

Scott

Try this link. I also looked back at some old emails from when I replaced my actuators this summer and thought I might need a control box and Bakes quoted me $765 where my local Malibu dealer said it was $1400. The control box should be under the dash....I might have a pic of mine somewhere that I could send you but it’s a black box with Lenco stamped on it with a model number. From all the research I did when my wedge quit working the overwhelming recommendation was to start with replacing the actuators since they are notorious for failing....especially if yours are 13 years old. 

Lenco 3-Lobe vs 5-Lobe Comparison

Thx - Your new link works. I now have my winter boat project :) You've been incredibly helpful/responsive. Have a good evening

Scott

Happy to help and good luck with the project. It's really not bad at all...especially if you have an extra set of hands to help you feed the wiring through the transom. Below is a link to the thread I made on here back in 2013 when I first replaced mine on my previous boat.

2007 VLX

Just following up on this thread - I have a 2007 LSV23 and the control box for the wedge went out. Original actuators, surprisingly, still work well. Does anyone happen to have an old working Lenco control box (Model 30047-004) and the associated wiring harness that I could buy off you. Lenco doesn't make/sell anymore. 

Thx

Scott

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you statefan-my actuators broke away from the wedge and going to replace them hoping that the module does not need to replaced.  I think I can take this on myself due to your information!

fyi- just ordered the new 5 lobes from bakes for $225 each

• 1 year later...

I have a 2011 Malibu Wakesetter, which is the first year of the mounted wedge system. (non-floating).  I have a bent Transom Bracket, that needs to replacing.  I can't find one anywhere.  does anyone of have any thoughts?