Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Driving experience

MalibuSue

Who has driven the 22 LSV for surfing. It’s crazy when you’re fully ballasted that you can’t turn the boat to the left when surfing left. The boat doesn’t track well even empty and going straight. My 2003 LSV seems more solid overall. Does anyone have the same feeling here. That Malibu is not what it used to be or are surf boats just kinda weird beasts?

ahopkins22LSV

If surfing on the regular side you are fighting the surfgate and prop rotation. You maybe able to adjust the rudder position. With the boat out of the water, double check how fair it turns each way. I believe it should be close to equal but might be offset to one side to help account for the prop rotation. There was a thread awhile back on this, might try searching too. 

I find on my 23LSV that if I turn the wheel all the way left against the stop and then turn it back to the right an inch or two, it’s more responsive to turn left.  I think when turned all the way left, the rudder is like a flat blade and doesn’t “grab” the water.

9 hours ago, MalibuSue said:

Who has driven the 22 LSV for surfing. It’s crazy when you’re fully ballasted that you can’t turn the boat to the left when surfing left. The boat doesn’t track well even empty and going straight. My 2003 LSV seems more solid overall. Does anyone have the same feeling here. That Malibu is not what it used to be or are surf boats just kinda weird beasts?

You are dragging a huge door in the water on one side.  It's going to impact handling.

For a similar experience, lock up 1 rear tire on your truck and see how it handles ;)

• Like 2
9 hours ago, MalibuSue said:

I had a 19 22 lsv, did notice this at times. The 23 had the same problem. When they went to the 17 inch prop, on the 20’s it cured a lot of that. They might have also made the rudder slightly bigger, I don’t know. Also my 22 lsv had a tendency to porpoise, at cruising speed, not track well. Dealer told me that it was a characteristic of that model. I found that if you add some bow ballast, a lot of it goes away.

My '19 23 LSV is getting some sort of adjustment and hardware improvement (I assume a different rudder) due to the pull when surfing.  The tech drove it and said, yea they pull, but yours is very extreme.  Maybe worth asking your dealer if you haven't already.

Ive driven two 22lsvs and they have both done that to the point where I was holding onto the wheel tight at full lock. There probably is a way or at least should be a away to overcome this by adjusting something but not my boat. 

45 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I couldn’t seem to find the thread, but I seem to remember @TallRedRider was one of the ones who had an adjustment made.

Yes.  Your dealer tech should be able to make an adjustment.  When I first got my 19 25 LSV I could barely turn left when surfgate was actuated.  I cornered myself in the lake where I could not turn right and had to literally just stop the boat to avoid running aground.  The tech took a look at the rudder and found it was not adjusted properly at the cable attachment to the rudder.  It then turned better after that.  

There is no doubt that the surfgate will make your turning radius larger, but I found it very acceptable both directions once the adjustment was made.  My turning radius would have been about 1/4 mile + before the fix.  

14 hours ago, surfdude said:

I had a 19 22 lsv, did notice this at times. The 23 had the same problem. When they went to the 17 inch prop, on the 20’s it cured a lot of that. They might have also made the rudder slightly bigger, I don’t know. Also my 22 lsv had a tendency to porpoise, at cruising speed, not track well. Dealer told me that it was a characteristic of that model. I found that if you add some bow ballast, a lot of it goes away.

I did also discover adding a bit of front ballast helps. Thanks for your input! The prop is a monster on this thing but it’s a good question to ask the dealer about:)

6 hours ago, Five Cent Worth said:

My '19 23 LSV is getting some sort of adjustment and hardware improvement (I assume a different rudder) due to the pull when surfing.  The tech drove it and said, yea they pull, but yours is very extreme.  Maybe worth asking your dealer if you haven't already.

I asked and they said it’s typical but I will ask about the rudder for sure. Thanks!!

6 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

Ive driven two 22lsvs and they have both done that to the point where I was holding onto the wheel tight at full lock. There probably is a way or at least should be a away to overcome this by adjusting something but not my boat. 

Yep. Me too. So far I’ve been reading rudder and prop changes might help. Good dealer question:)

5 hours ago, TallRedRider said:

Yes.  Your dealer tech should be able to make an adjustment.  When I first got my 19 25 LSV I could barely turn left when surfgate was actuated.  I cornered myself in the lake where I could not turn right and had to literally just stop the boat to avoid running aground.  The tech took a look at the rudder and found it was not adjusted properly at the cable attachment to the rudder.  It then turned better after that.  

There is no doubt that the surfgate will make your turning radius larger, but I found it very acceptable both directions once the adjustment was made.  My turning radius would have been about 1/4 mile + before the fix.  

Yea!! This is what’s happening. I literally have to stop the boat or hit the shore or another boat. I’ll ask about the adjustment. Thanks!

On my 2020 23 MXZ, it will rotate one 1/2 turn of the steering wheel before it starts to turn.  I have expressed my concerns to my dealer and the boat is there getting looked at for the steering wheel and other stuff.

On 11/3/2020 at 8:52 AM, surfdude said:

Also my 22 lsv had a tendency to porpoise, at cruising speed

Smaller boats = more porpoise action in rougher water. Larger boats = less. 

Can definitely counteract some of this action with bow ballast. 

13 hours ago, MalibuSue said:

Yea!! This is what’s happening. I literally have to stop the boat or hit the shore or another boat. I’ll ask about the adjustment. Thanks!

The original thread is here: 

There is some intellectual gobbledygook that you might find helpful when talking with the dealer about what isn't right.  Sometimes even good dealers need to be told what the problem is, despite the fact that they like to discover it themselves.  I piggybacked it onto another member's thread.  Start at page 8!  

Edited by TallRedRider
On 11/4/2020 at 10:06 AM, TallRedRider said:

There is some intellectual gobbledygook that you might find helpful when talking with the dealer about what isn't right.  Sometimes even good dealers need to be told what the problem is, despite the fact that they like to discover it themselves.  I piggybacked it onto another member's thread.  Start at page 8!  

I see the thread now.  Looks like it is possibly a rudder adjustment. I’ll go check out where the rudder sits with my steering wheel at center. It’s a start:)

On 11/3/2020 at 10:16 PM, MalibuSue said:

I did also discover adding a bit of front ballast helps. Thanks for your input! The prop is a monster on this thing but it’s a good question to ask the dealer about:)

dont you find that porpoising was bimini deployed? often while wakeboarding without bow ballast or just against the wind bimini deployed running.  200 lead solved that for my smaller boat.  in other words i dont think its the boat, its the bimini effect on boat when deployed 

if a boat is porpoising bimini down or you cant turn surfing, something is wrong!

On 11/4/2020 at 10:06 AM, TallRedRider said:

IMG_0226.jpeg

can you open this?