Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Board Racks

Texan32

I tried to search the forum, but seemed to come up short.  I was wondering if there were members that has personal experience with adding/replacing the OEM board racks.  So far, it seems that Krypt and Roswell both offer a bolt on factory pivot rack solution.  Im not interested in clamping racks.  $3000+ is well outside my budget and tolerance of pricing for such an item.  WIth Krypt, you order the rack and swivel mount for the Axis as a "combo".  While Roswell, you have to order the parts individually. 

From Bulletlines (Krypt):  1ea double surf + 1ea surf/wakeboard combo (both with swivel mounts) = $875 shipped

From Wakemaker (Roswell Elite setup): 1 ea double surf + 1 ea surf/wakeboard combo + 2 ea swivel adapter + 1ea Axis mount bracket = $1313 shipped (with discount applied)

The grand idea is to move the OEM racks to the upper position.  Mount the new racks in the lower positions.  The new racks offer more immediate access to the boards used most.  Additionally, i was looking into using a set of replacement tines from Uptice to "upgrade" one of the OEM racks so that i can store my son's kneeboard there.  While we dont always take all of our gear, in total, we do have 7 boards and i would like a solution that suites them all.  4 surfboards (me, wife, son, "boat board"), 2 wakeboards (me and son) and 1 kneeboard.  I would prefer to have the ability to mount all the boards on the racks instead of using the (above) bimini storage or leaving them lose in the bow section.

I dont know enough about either to understand/justify the $450ish difference.  Can anyone provide pics and/or feedback on either?  Im in Germany for the next 5 months, but would like to get cracking on ordering all the mods i want to make before season gets here. 

Have you tried looking on the Malibu/Axis Owners Group on facebook to see if someone offers stock ones for sale? Also may try hitting up Bakes Online they may be able to get factory ones for a decent deal. 

Active Water Sports appears to sell OEM racks for $590 per side.  Unfortunately, i have not been able to find replacement tines that hold double surf boards for the OEM racks.  Perhaps if there is enough interest, we could get Uptice to expand on their selection...

Edited by Texan32
  • 2 months later...

Anyone find a good solution for a double surfboard rack on each side?  Purchased a 2020 axis with the swivel racks. We quickly grew out of the single surfboard racks that Axis offers.

Can anyone share opinions on the krypt racks or other options they used?

Another option that is less expensive and actually protects the boards better and is easier to transport the boards on and off the boat is the Ronix Bimini Board Case.  I have 3 surf /skim style boards that I don't want to leave on my boat which has a shared dock so this seems like the best answer for my use case.  It will allow me to easily transport the boards down to the dock, protects them from the sun while I am out on the boat, and also protects the more fragile boards from the racks themselves.  WakeMakers sells them as well so you can use your MalibuCrew discount.

https://www.ronixwake.com/products/bimini-board-case

Edited by watsoc08
Forgot to mention something

Pulled the trigger on Roswell racks for the lower mount and a set of Uptice knee/wake board tines to "upgrade" the OEM racks that will be moved to the upper mounts.   Went with the surf/surf and sirf/wake tines w/ MAG swivel setup.  I guess i will have to patiently wait to get back home and install them.  I will be sure to provide an install/review post once they are on the boat.  Fingers crossed....

Edited by Texan32
  • 2 months later...

Got the new Roswell racks installed.  Pretty simple assembly.  Fit and finish is very nice.  Only time will tell how well they hold up. 

Rack 3.JPG

Rack 2.JPG

Rack 1.JPG

@Texan32

that is was I was just wanting to do for my a24 on order . I think it looks great. I just can’t justify another set of PTM clamps for the price. 4 boards isn’t enough sometimes  Those look better in your pics than they do online 

24 minutes ago, watsoc08 said:

Looks great, thanks for sharing the pics.

Thanks. 

I really wish someone (like Uptice) would make replacement tines for the factory rack mounts.  They do make one that accommodates a wake board and knee board.  They say you can stack 2 surf boards in the knee board slot, but no thank you.  There is nothing wrong with the factory racks.  I just wanted dual surf tines.  And the only way to get that is to buy a new rack.  And there is no way i was going to have a mismatched set on the boat. :cry:

• 6 months later...
On 4/2/2021 at 2:24 PM, Texan32 said:

Got the new Roswell racks installed.  Pretty simple assembly.  Fit and finish is very nice.  Only time will tell how well they hold up. 

@Texan32 were you successful in moving your lower OEM racks to the upper position?  I have a 2018 T22 and was going to do that, and found that the bolt diameter was different between the lower and upper holes on the tower... so the lower bolts were too big to go through the holes in the upper tower mount position to be able to move them up.  I was pretty annoyed at Malibu engineers for that one...

How did you get around that?

Edited by IndyFerg
14 hours ago, IndyFerg said:

@Texan32 were you successful in moving your lower OEM racks to the upper position?  I have a 2018 T22 and was going to do that, and found that the bolt diameter was different between the lower and upper holes on the tower... so the lower bolts were too big to go through the holes in the upper tower mount position to be able to move them up.  I was pretty annoyed at Malibu engineers for that one...

How did you get around that?

Yes.  I am wondering if the powder coating (assuming its powder) is just too thick on the upper holes?  The racks are the same from Axis.  Meaning, there arent seperate upper and lower racks.  I did have to buy (order online) some specific length bolts, but thats only because of my Fluid Concepts rear bimini extension. 

• 3 weeks later...