Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu installed wrong engine on new 2020 23 LSV boat (Monsoon 6.2 450 installed when the order sheet was for a new M5di

Bigfish0230

50 minutes ago, Wolflake said:

The replies on here are hilarious as to why he should of noticed his engine ....I use the dealer for  all maintenance and I would of never noticed a different engine.

You have the dealer check your dipstick every few uses?

• Haha 2

Ha no, I don’t bother checking it at all. These are new engines, with low failure rates and little oil burn. These aren’t the engines of yesteryear. Maybe once my boat becomes 5-10 years old, or if I suddenly start to put on an abnormally high hrs of use in the season I’ll start. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, Wolflake said:

Ha no, I don’t bother checking it at all. These are new engines, with low failure rates and little oil burn. These aren’t the engines of yesteryear. Maybe once my boat becomes 5-10 years old, or if I suddenly start to put on an abnormally high hrs of use in the season I’ll start. 

This times 100.

Welcome to the crew @Bigfish0230

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, COOP said:

I bet the dealer knew it. 

When we get boats in and are checking them in for options and such we always check the motor. 

If for no other reason to say - Yup it's there ;)

I'd assume the delivery checklist has you check the oil level - wouldn't it?

On 11/1/2020 at 8:39 AM, Bigfish0230 said:

However, when following my MANUAL FOR MY M5Di, We couldn’t find the drain plugs because they don’t exist in the same place on the MONSOON 6.2L HO 450.  

Sooooo... it's been mentioned a couple of times, but the Monsoon branded engines in Malibus are generally all GM, while the Indmar-marinized Ford engines are branded as "Raptor."  The Fords are 6.2's, the GM's (IIRC) that were offered in the 2020s are either Malibu-marinized monsoon-branded DI (direct injection) 5.3 or 6.2 motors, OR... PCM-marinized 6.0L GM motors (older tech).  My bet is that if the big plastic engine cover says "monsoon" on it, that you have a PCM 6.0, not a Ford 6.2.  

Most of the engine nerds on this thread could tell in 2 seconds if you open your engine cover and post a pic.  

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Sooooo... it's been mentioned a couple of times, but the Monsoon branded engines in Malibus are generally all GM, while the Indmar-marinized Ford engines are branded as "Raptor."  The Fords are 6.2's, the GM's (IIRC) that were offered in the 2020s are either Malibu-marinized monsoon-branded DI (direct injection) 5.3 or 6.2 motors, OR... PCM-marinized 6.0L GM motors (older tech).  My bet is that if the big plastic engine cover says "monsoon" on it, that you have a PCM 6.0, not a Ford 6.2.  

Most of the engine nerds on this thread could tell in 2 seconds if you open your engine cover and post a pic.  

Or if you posted a video of it running.  The Raptor engines have a distinct tone.

ahopkins22LSV
27 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Mostly true, the Ford Raptors had Monsoon on the engine cover too. But we are splitting hairs at this point.

Ford Raptor Monsoon.JPG

1 minute ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Mostly true, the Ford Raptors had Monsoon on the engine cover too. But we are splitting hairs at this point.

Ford Raptor Monsoon.JPG

Oh dang, I'm 100% wrong.  But yeah, if it looks like that, it's a ford!

• Like 2

Yes, that is my engine. There is FORD printed on may of the  pieces underneath. Maybe some of you long time boat owners can help me out. I have two questions regarding this mistake and failure to inform me of the change. Besides I have the wrong oil filter, Vdrive fluid and the wasted literally hours looking for the drain plugs per specs in my manual. Is this going to effect resale being a 2020 and not having the newer engine? I realize the 450 is more powerful, but an older engine. What are some of your experiences with reliability/ issues. This is the real concern I have. I called Malibu in TN and he said there were some issues with the 16/17 with cat converters but they have mostly been rectified. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again for all of the input 

4 minutes ago, Bigfish0230 said:

Is this going to effect resale being a 2020 and not having the newer engine?

You mean "older" engine as in it has intake mounted injectors v's cylinder mounted DI injectors? Id hardly call one old and one new. Direct injection had been around for decades. IIRC, the DI's are still pushrod motors,. Some may call that old. The raptor is overhead cam. Even then, OHC has been around for decades as well. 

No, the engine tech will not hurt resale. List it as having the engine it has, and the added displacement and power is a plus. 

Like others, I do not see Malibu making a $5K mistake to your favor. I think you got an upgrade for a reason, rather then your build be held up.  

• Like 4

Agree with @ahopkinsVTX.  The Raptor(Monsoon) Ford 410 might be a little less desirable or maybe equally desirably as the 5.3DI, but the 450 would be a better motor.  Downsides I can think of ... more spark plugs when it comes time to replace, generally perceived to be a "louder" engine in the boat, and now that you have an indmar-marinized motor, if you sell during the warranty period your buyer will need to pay a separate fee to indmar to assign over the powertrain warranty.  

All things considered, I'd say you got the longer end of the stick.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

If for no other reason to say - Yup it's there ;)

I'd assume the delivery checklist has you check the oil level - wouldn't it?

Our check in list is pretty extensive, and yes, we check fluid levels. Cant speak for other dealers.

But when we are invoiced it has the boat vin, engine vin, and trailer vin (if ordered). The Malibu engine vins are completely different.

Not only that but the motors dont even look the remotely the same. The Malibu motors engine cover is black, not red. Raw water pick up is in a different spot on the hull. Manifolds look different. I really cant see any way the dealer didnt notice.

• Like 2

I have the same engine in my 2017 22VLX.  It's a great mill with plenty of power.  I would not at all let that bother you.  It's also a very good engine for your boat.  I nearly purchased a 2020 this year with the Monsoon 450 (Raptor), but we decided to order a '21.

With respect to the dealer not telling you, that's another story entirely but as several have suggested, it's likely your build came at a time when the GM mill wasn't available for any number of reasons.  I too would be ticked off at the dealer for not telling me and walking me through things I would do on my own with the engine like winterizing or changing the oil.  But again, as several of us have said....enjoy the upgrade.  

Its an upgrade, take it.  Two negatives are  #1  dealer communication b/c they knew and  #2  the potential catalytic converters issues with Ford.

... #3 would be the Ford is loud, but that is up to the user to determine (you don't know what you don't know).

25 minutes ago, pauley71 said:

Its an upgrade, take it.  Two negatives are  #1  dealer communication b/c they knew and  #2  the potential catalytic converters issues with Ford.

... #3 would be the Ford is loud, but that is up to the user to determine (you don't know what you don't know).

Hopefully they fixed #2.  I thought that was typical of the 2017 models.  We went through it on our '17 22VLX.