Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu installed wrong engine on new 2020 23 LSV boat (Monsoon 6.2 450 installed when the order sheet was for a new M5di

Bigfish0230

So I ordered a new boat from Malibu 2020 23 LSV. The engine on the order sheet was for a  M5Di. Fast forward 4 months and I am just getting to winterize my boat. I had the dealer do my first oil change at 15 hours. S0 I was looking for my plugs to drain but the pictures didnt match the owners manual. So I looked at the engine cover and realized my engine is the Monsoon 6.2L 450 versuds the ordered M5Di. Im not really sure what to do but it seems I received the wrong engine and this was an older engine. Now im not sure that older is always worse but not sure what to do?? Any advice would be helpful.  PS I finally found the drain plugs but they were in a total different location that my owners manual stated because it is a different engine.

I would be more inclined to believe that Malibu built the boat exactly like the paperwork submitted by the dealer told them to build They have a series of checks and balances where the dealership checks the blocks once and hits send. I had 2 like issues b/c of my dealer one of them being the gel coat color scheme. A lot harder and time consuming to correct, but Malibu made it right.

If the paperwork is wrong because of their error, Malibu will fix it for you. It wasn't their fault and they documented everything and included notes in my paperwork about they changes and the the hull warranty remaining the same.

Edited by wdr
Exp

I guess that is a good thing however I do need a correct owners manual that deals with the engine.  I guess I will just call the dealer.. it still might have been nice to know because those darn Drain plugs didn’t match the location in the owners manual. Looked for over 2 hours. Arghhhhhh😬

Because I didn’t lift out the engine cover and look at the lettering. I know most of you on here know lots about boats and have been around them forever.   I am a first time boat owner and first time user. I took the boat into get the first service done as recommended , but have my boat on a lift so wanted to winterize it. However, when following my MANUAL FOR MY M5Di, We couldn’t find the drain plugs because they don’t exist in the same place on the MONSOON 6.2L HO 450.  So the reason I didn’t notice before was I assumed what I ordered was there. Only have about 25 hours on my boat.  I didn’t think I needed to check every part to make sure it was as ordered.  

38 minutes ago, Bigfish0230 said:

Because I didn’t lift out the engine cover and look at the lettering. I know most of you on here know lots about boats and have been around them forever.   I am a first time boat owner and first time user. I took the boat into get the first service done as recommended , but have my boat on a lift so wanted to winterize it. However, when following my MANUAL FOR MY M5Di, We couldn’t find the drain plugs because they don’t exist in the same place on the MONSOON 6.2L HO 450.  So the reason I didn’t notice before was I assumed what I ordered was there. Only have about 25 hours on my boat.  I didn’t think I needed to check every part to make sure it was as ordered.  

Hey, if the factory didn’t catch it either, I wouldn’t feel too bad for overlooking it. Welcome to boating and TMC too!

• Like 2

Kojac- I’m not sure I need to Go into all the reasons but I haven’t used my boat since mid July, but I didn’t see in the manual I should check the oil when I’m not using my boat at all. Can you show me that reference or recommendation?thanks😉