Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2000 Sunsetter Transmission Pressure

9irondesign

So we have a new to us 2000 Sunsetter and I'm making our winter restoration list. I believe the transmission is slipping so I'll look in to a rebuild as well. 

One thing that I thought was odd, was that when I removed dipstick to check fluid, it released some pressure.

Is this normal? Or are they supposed to be vented? Thanks.

You need to double check that your fluid level was correct when it is up to temp.  The transmission will slip if the fluid level is even slightly too low.  That's an easy fix rather than rebuilding the transmission.  The velvet drives are pretty reliable and long lasting.  

Thanks!

It slipped when I got it, and slips when fluid is correct. 

From what I can tell, maintenance wasn't a high priority with previous owners. And whatever shop they did take it to, were hacks. 

I bought it as a project. Motor and trans is on my to-do list. Just need to see how far I need to go. 

I've got a jet boat, I/O and outdrive background so this is excited to learn about. 

Thanks, any input is appreciated.

The pressure release just seemed odd to me as its leaking ATF from somewhere and want to be sure there's not pressure where it shouldn't be. 

I think pressure means you don't have a leak because build up of pressure means the system is sealed. Mine releases pressure when I open the dipstick especially when it's warm.

1 hour ago, Steve B. said:

Leak maybe at the tranny cooler ?

Steve B. 

There's definitely a leak at the cooler. 

Still need to clean it up more and run it to make sure nothing else is leaking as there was also motor oil in the bilge as well. But hoping thats just from a messy oil change. We'll see. 

Right now the boat is 250 miles away so I do what I can on weekends. 

Once I finish the majority of water testing,  I'll bring it home to my shop and gut it. 

Thanks again to you all!!

• Like 2