Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2014 23lsv VS 2015 22vlx

cooperf

2015/16 is an ‘expensive’ dash to repair out of warranty. The screen on the right has a history of problems. I have no experience with 2014s though. Maybe it’s the lesser evil. Maybe not. Regardless, unless you need a 22 for some physical reason a 23 will hold value better, has more room, has a much much larger gas tank (2nd main reason I upgraded), and is never going out of style. 

ahopkins22LSV
6 hours ago, Slurpee said:

2015/16 is an ‘expensive’ dash to repair out of warranty. The screen on the right has a history of problems. I have no experience with 2014s though. Maybe it’s the lesser evil. Maybe not. Regardless, unless you need a 22 for some physical reason a 23 will hold value better, has more room, has a much much larger gas tank (2nd main reason I upgraded), and is never going out of style. 

I think you have your screens and issues backwards. The 2015/16 will have the updated dash that is much more reliable. There were bugs in 2015, but I'd bet those have all been worked out with buying a 2015 now. Is there a change the screen fails? Yes, like with every screen. The 2011-2014 screens are the ones with significant and almost certain delamination issues.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I think you have your screens and issues backwards. The 2015/16 will have the updated dash that is much more reliable. There were bugs in 2015, but I'd bet those have all been worked out with buying a 2015 now. Is there a change the screen fails? Yes, like with every screen. The 2011-2014 screens are the ones with significant and almost certain delamination issues.

YIkes. I guess the moral of the story is that electronic screens are a point of failure.

I had a 2014 23lsv, I push folks to go with 2015 or newer.  The surf speed was difficult to maintain on the regular side and I was probably propped. Also a big contributor was that it was not GPS speed enabled.  The raptors motors in 2015 significantly out performed the 2014 motor.  My biggest challenge with the 2014.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, roonedoggie said:

I had a 2014 23lsv, I push folks to go with 2015 or newer.  The surf speed was difficult to maintain on the regular side and I was probably propped. Also a big contributor was that it was not GPS speed enabled.  The raptors motors in 2015 significantly out performed the 2014 motor.  My biggest challenge with the 2014.

+1. GPS makes a world of difference for surfing and while louder, the Raptor is a work horse with power to spare. I went from a 2013 23 LSV to a 2016 22 VLX with the Raptor and have never regretted it.

2015 isn’t the Raptor though.  Those started in 2016.  2015 was the GM Indmar.  

2014 is a solid boat - I have been a part of many great hours on 2 of them.  But it is a bit of a unicorn with a one and done dash design and the Marine Power LS3 offering.  

Edited by hethj7
  • Like 1