Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Water crossover between exhaust manifolds.

I’m replacing the exhaust manifold on my Monsoon 340 motor. When removing the Water t piece from the bottom of the manifold, one of them cracked. It appears that the t piece is no longer available and you can only buy a 90 degree elbow. 
Is a crossover necessary between the manifolds or can I just use the 90 degree elbows for the inlet? 
The new manifolds are stainless steel with only 1 inlet plug.

On 10/28/2020 at 1:37 AM, Blatchy said:

I’m replacing the exhaust manifold on my Monsoon 340 motor. When removing the Water t piece from the bottom of the manifold, one of them cracked. It appears that the t piece is no longer available and you can only buy a 90 degree elbow. 
Is a crossover necessary between the manifolds or can I just use the 90 degree elbows for the inlet? 
The new manifolds are stainless steel with only 1 inlet plug.

What kind of manifolds did you find that were stainless steel?  

www.marinetorq.com.au

I only run in fresh water and no issues with freezing here in Australia so I have never drained manifolds. Never had a issue. I only just purchased this boat. First manifolds I’ve ever replaced. 

I'd say the cross over is not important because it already crosses over in the front of the engine. Just incase I would contact them, they designed it , they will know if you need it.

14 minutes ago, Bozboat said:

What does the exhaust water cross over hose actually do?

Routes the water to one central drain point.  I don't have it on my ETX's, I just use an Allen wrench and remove the rear plug to drain from each manifold.

I have the monsoon 340 in my RLXi.  My old SSLX had the same engine with a different ECM, intake, and exhaust system and it didnt' have the cross over hose, only manifold plugs.  The only benefit I see on the cross over hose is simplicity in draining as @Michigan boardersaid.  Otherwise I don't think it serves any other purpose as the crossover simply connects the 2 low points creating one drain location.  I bought a couple of them a few years back because one broke so I just replaced them both.  This is what you're looking for, I believe.  

I replaced the plugs in the exhaust headers with brass petcocks; much easier to drain for the winter.    I had to retap due to rust but well worth it in the end.   They have been in place for 3 or 4 years now.

55 minutes ago, Harry B said:

I replaced the plugs in the exhaust headers with brass petcocks; much easier to drain for the winter.    I had to retap due to rust but well worth it in the end.   They have been in place for 3 or 4 years now.

doesn't one of them have a sensor in it?

22 hours ago, jayR said:

Blatchy

How much do they charge for those stainless steel exhaust manifolds ?

http://www.precisionmarine.com.au/all-products/boat-spares-parts/stainless-steel-exhaust-manifolds-marine-torq/

$2850 Australian is about $2070 US.  Group buy opportunity?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • 6 months later...
On 11/6/2020 at 7:00 PM, justgary said:

I should have jumped on this.  The US Dollar exchange rate has softened since then, making these more like $2200 now.  I need to replace my manifolds soon.

17 minutes ago, justgary said:

I should have jumped on this.  The US Dollar exchange rate has softened since then, making these more like $2200 now.  I need to replace my manifolds soon.

Is there something special about those from the Land of OZ versus, say IMCO's which are a little more than half the price?  Just curious.

42 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Is there something special about those from the Land of OZ versus, say IMCO's which are a little more than half the price?  Just curious.

I don't want aluminum since it will rot out also.  All of the 100% stainless manifolds appear to come from OZ, where a huge portion of their boating seems to take place in brackish or salt water.

I called and left a message, then sent an email to American Hi-Tek about fitment, but haven't heard back.  The OZ version of Hi-Tek had very bad reviews ten years ago, but I presume that they have learned how to weld since then.  Besides, the US version is actually made here.  The problem is that their information online stinks so I can't really figure out which model will fit my boat.  Since they build to order, it's hard to get started when they don't answer.

The Marine Torq manifolds seem well built, have competitive pricing, and have a six year warranty.  I sent them an email this morning, so I expect a delay since they aren't at work right now.

16 minutes ago, justgary said:

I don't want aluminum since it will rot out also.  All of the 100% stainless manifolds appear to come from OZ, where a huge portion of their boating seems to take place in brackish or salt water.

LOts of salt and brackish water up here.  Have you looked at any of these?http://www.westcoastoffshore.ca/IMCO-Marine-Exhaust-Manifolds-Risers-Kits-C490.aspx

1 minute ago, Eagleboy99 said:

LOts of salt and brackish water up here.  Have you looked at any of these?http://www.westcoastoffshore.ca/IMCO-Marine-Exhaust-Manifolds-Risers-Kits-C490.aspx

I sure have, and again, the IMCO manifolds are aluminum.  Some of them have stainless risers, but none of them have stainless manifolds.

Your dad told me to "buy once, cry once."  Aluminum isn't really any better in salt water than cast iron.  Stainless is a much better solution.  If I can get the OZ manifolds here for a competitive price, I still think they are worth investigating.